DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I have the 622 in the living room and TV2 runs to the master bedroom. The remote reception is poor throughout the master bedroom, so is there a better antenna that I can attach to the receiver, or is there another option?

2. I couldn't find the options to teach my remote the IR codes like on my old 811. What do I need to do so that I can use my universal remote again?

·
AllStar
85 Posts
Easy to try - attach a short (8 foot) piece of coax cable to the Remote Ant. connection on the back of the 622 & run this up high above where your 622 sits, then attach the antenna to this coax. This will sometimes help.

Hard to try - but will work. If you have access either above (attic) or below (basement or crawlspace), run a long piece of coax from the 622 Remote Ant. connection all the way from the living room to either above or below the master bedroom & then put the antenna on the end of the coax. In this way, the UHF antenna will be right under (or over) your remote when you're using it.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,010 Posts
You can use a couple of normal coax splitters to solve this problem easy. With one splitter turned backward, connect a short coax to the antenna port on the 622 and the other end to one of the two connecters on the splitter. Then connect a short coax from the Home Distribution (modulator) output on the back of the 622 to the other one of the two splitter connections. Then connect the existing coax you have running to your TV2 to the single side of the splitter. In the room with the TV2, connect the coax to the single side of the splitter, connect a short coax to one of the two splitter outputs with the other end connected to the TV input. Then attach the remote antenna to the other splitter output.

Now you have the antenna in the room with TV2 without any additional coax runs. Works great for me.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. After adding a 6' cable between the receiver and antenna and lots of yelling back and forth across the house for optimal placement, I have a temporary solution. I like the idea of using the adapters and bringing the antenna into the master bedroom.

Any answers to the second question?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
ChuckA said:
... With one splitter turned backward, connect a short coax to the antenna port on the 622 and the other end to one of the two connecters on the splitter. Then connect a short coax from the Home Distribution (modulator) output on the back of the 622 to the other one of the two splitter connections. Then connect the existing coax you have running to your TV2 to the single side of the splitter. In the room with the TV2, connect the coax to the single side of the splitter, connect a short coax to one of the two splitter outputs with the other end connected to the TV input. Then attach the remote antenna to the other splitter output.
A "problem" with this, which of course you can soose to ignore, is that you are actually transmitting the 622's modulator output over the air via the UHF stub antenna. However, I doubt the FCC will come swooping down your residence. :rolleyes:

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
The remote that came with the 811 was UHF Pro only (8.0) and didn't send IR itself. Having the receiver generate the IR codes was only needed because you didn't have an IR remote to generate them. The 622's TV1 remote generates IR when the green 1 is showing and can teach the universal. But there shouldn't be anything that needs to be learned for basic operation of the 622's TV1. The 622 is probably using a default address 1 for TV1 which would work as long as you taught the universal codes with Address 1. Get TV1 to System Info screen (6-1-3) and hit the Record button on the Universal. Did the remote address change on the TV1 line? If so, you'll need to change the 5.3 IR TV1 to match that address to use both of them. Or retrain the universal with the 5.3 IR TV1 remote you have.

Oops, you probably never bothered to teach the Universal the Record button. You'll need to find out what address the Universal "learned", change the 5.3 IR remote to that address, hit ITS record button, then the universal will work. You probably have a bunch of buttons you'll need to teach the universal for DVR use!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.