Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so its time for a new OTA topic.

I was reminded yesterday that the DTivo does not allow 1 tuner sat. and 2 tuner OTA, even tho we all know the hardware would support such. So, does anyone know, have an educated guess, or otherwise have input as to if the HR20 will allow 2 tuner OTA on a box that only has 1 tuner sat.?

Cheers,
Tom

·
Godfather
322 Posts
Great question, and I want to know the answer, too!

By the way, you CAN have the HR10-250 (HD TiVo) do 1 SAT in with 2 OTA tuners... you just have to trick it by telling it you have 2 SAT lines hooked up. WARNING: This requires CONSTANT babysitting of the To Do list. I only do this because I also have an HR20 in the same location and do most of the SAT recording on it:

Currently I have 3 SAT lines running to the basement. The line going to the HR10 has OTA diplexed in. When going thru setup, I chose 2 SAT lines. If you only choose one SAT, then TiVo only enables one OTA tuner. The tricky part about lying to TiVo and saying that there are two SAT lines connected is that the [normally wonderful] TiVo scheduling brain will schedule two SAT shows opposite each other and not warn you. This is why you have to babysit the To Do list, to make sure that no SAT shows are conflicting. It's not too hard, as the channel numbers for OTA shows are very apparent (they have a hyphen) so everything else is SAT (check the program lengths if unknown!)

It also is a good idea if you only have one SAT connected to pre-tune the good tuner to the right SAT channel before it's time to record. Not so feasible for those long trips away from the house. For this reason as well, you should disable Suggestions (which I miss) as you don't want TiVo changing the channel or recording something on the good tuner when your programmed SAT show airs.

This is all still worth it for me b/c I usually have more conflicts between OTA stations than I do with SAT channels, so the 2nd OTA tuner is a must. You may ask, why don't I take another SAT from the HR20 and give it to the HD TiVo? Well, that would render that box a one-tuner machine, reducing me to 3 tuners total. As it is now, I have 4 tuners possible at any given time, of which 3 can record SAT. Your situation may make this setup unworkable.

If I find out that the HR20 operates similarly to the HD TiVo with 1 SAT connected but 2 tuners chosen, I probably will flip the operation of these units, as the 20 is purported to have a better OTA tuner and with 2 SAT lines on the HD TiVo I can go back to Suggestions. Of course, I can split the OTA to feed both.

Oh, yes... to answer your other probable question: Why not add a 4th SAT line? It would probably require a whole new run from the dish and getting it into the basement would probably mean new holes, which I don't want.

·
Godfather
415 Posts
Tom, after reading your question several times... I don't understand what you're asking. Can you clarify? Are you talking recordings? What does "allow 2 tuner OTA" or "1 tuner sat" mean?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
I think what he's saying is that, if you only hook up one satellite tuner, will it then run globally in single tuner mode (meaning attempting to record two things at once would always cause a conflict, even if one of those is OTA and the other is not)?

Given the difficulty of the logic involved in sorting out the rules (and the relatively few people affected), I'd suspect that would be the case.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Currently on the HR10, if you only have one line running to a room, you can tell the HR10 that it only has 1 tuner for satellite. That, unfortately disables the second OTA tuner as well.

KSBugeater is correct, you can lie to the HR10 and say it has two so both OTA are enabled. And he is also correct in that its a major pain in the butt!

The hardware in both the HR10 and HR20 are both capable of having only one satellite tuner enabled and both the OTA tuners enabled. So at any time I could record:
1 sat + 1 OTA
2 OTA

(What I couldn't do is record 2 sat. cuz the input lines just ain't there.)

Since much of my recording is OTA, especially when I most need 2 tuners, I and others have asked this of the DTivo from time to time.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Godfather
322 Posts
Tom, I have been running the HR10 like this since October and it really is working like a charm... with appropriate monitoring. It almost seems like TiVo has figured out which is the good SAT tuner, because even when I'm not home to pre-set the channel, it changes SAT channels on the good tuner most of the time. I realize the odds of picking the right tuner are 50-50, so it's gotta be right about half the time by dumb luck, but anecdotal evidence is telling me that it's right more than half the time. Is it possible that when choosing between two unused tuners, it picks the one with the higher SAT signal????

·
Godfather
415 Posts
Now that I understand the question, I know I have no business trying to answer! LOL

·
Godfather
322 Posts
Tom,

I did what I said I was going to in the above post #2: transferred the 2nd line from the HR20 to the HR10 now that I have OTA on both (thanks to 10B Santa). I then repeated satellite setup (did NOT reboot) just to make sure that the HR20 knows that only one SAT line is connected. I can verify that I had it recording a SAT program at the same time as an OTA recording last night. However, I have not yet seen how it will handle a conflict between SAT timers, as, amazingly, I don't have any conflicts soon.

Count me pleased as punch to be able to record four OTA programs at once now.(NOTE to post-skimmers! I have an HR10 AND HR20 both hooked up to the same TV... I don't have a 4-tuner box!!)

I'll report later on how well the HR20 handles conflicts with only one SAT line with OTA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.