DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HR20 with latest update. Just installed 1 week ago. Connected via component to HD TV.

When on one channel, and I select record, it starts to record as expected. When I hit the Guide 2 times, then find another program, and then select to watch while the other is recording, it brings up a message to stop recording and switch channels, or disregard the request.

It says 2 tuners are in use. But, have no idea how/why it says that. Even after a reset, I can go to any channel on sat signal, quick Record, then try to change channels, and it says 2 tuners in use, do I want to cancel the current recording again.

I can do OTA and record DTV signal. Just seems like both tuners are not working properly, or it thinks both are being used for some reason, yet you can't check which tuner you are on aor what is happening with the tuners exactly, doesn't seem to be an option.

I have a AU9 with no multiswitch, installer didn't put it in. They are coming back to put a multiswitch because I need more lines for another DVR.

So, 2 coax run from the AU9 right to the HR20. I run the test, and one tuner has a better signal, and sometimes, the 2nd tuner doesn't show as available.

Not sure how to troubleshoot this.

Also, in the box came some upconverters I am maybe supposed to plug inline? I don't have them connected because nowhere does it say to use them, but they are in the box.

Thanks any help appreciated.

Keith

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
techlogik said:
HR20 with latest update. Just installed 1 week ago. Connected via component to HD TV.

When on one channel, and I select record, it starts to record as expected. When I hit the Guide 2 times, then find another program, and then select to watch while the other is recording, it brings up a message to stop recording and switch channels, or disregard the request.

It says 2 tuners are in use. But, have no idea how/why it says that. Even after a reset, I can go to any channel on sat signal, quick Record, then try to change channels, and it says 2 tuners in use, do I want to cancel the current recording again.

I can do OTA and record DTV signal. Just seems like both tuners are not working properly, or it thinks both are being used for some reason, yet you can't check which tuner you are on aor what is happening with the tuners exactly, doesn't seem to be an option.

I have a AU9 with no multiswitch, installer didn't put it in. They are coming back to put a multiswitch because I need more lines for another DVR.

So, 2 coax run from the AU9 right to the HR20. I run the test, and one tuner has a better signal, and sometimes, the 2nd tuner doesn't show as available.

Not sure how to troubleshoot this.

Also, in the box came some upconverters I am maybe supposed to plug inline? I don't have them connected because nowhere does it say to use them, but they are in the box.

Thanks any help appreciated.

Keith
Welcome to the forums, Keith! :welcome_s

I'd suggest running signal meters on both tuners for satellite, then swapping the satellite cables and trying again. I'd also try rebooting before each of the tests to ensure the best chance that the tuners will see the connected dish. If the numbers follow the cable, have the installer test/replace the cable. If not, you may have an HR20 with a bad tuner.

Good luck,
Tom

· Legend
175 Posts
If you are using a 5 lnb dish you are suppose to connect the 2 upconverters to the back of your HR20 and then connect the coax cable to them. This will allow the ird to use the lower frequency lnbs. This might be what is causing the problem.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
cruise350 said:
If you are using a 5 lnb dish you are suppose to connect the 2 upconverters to the back of your HR20 and then connect the coax cable to them. This will allow the ird to use the lower frequency lnbs. This might be what is causing the problem.
Welcome cruise350! :welcome_s

While I don't think D* is using the lower band KA frequncies yet, they will soon. Putting the converters on now means not having to find them or find out they are defective when you do need them.

Cheers,
TOm

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I did some troubleshooting, one of the feeds from the SAT is definitely not working. It appears if the #1 tuner has a good feed, it will boot fine. Otherwise, if the #2 has the good feed, and #1 doesn't have SAT signal, it won't get past the boot screen.

I forgot to mention that, after rebooting, it wouldn't come up anymore and boot, light blue power light, then it went black, and the TV would go black, and that is all she wrote.

I ended up uplugging everything, going to dinner, then plug all back in, I then got the boot screen. But then had to find the issue why it didn't go past the checking sat signals step 1 of 2. Then switched coax and the SAT1 had a good signal and it booting and started working.

I guess that is why it gives that message, although deceiving. The SAT2 tuner doesn't have a signal, but when you try to watch/record on two tuners and one doesn't have a signal, it says 2 tuners are in use.

The installers is a whole other topic, I had these guys out 3 times. The first time, the guy left without doing anything. The next time after telling them to put the disk up and multiswitch, they left off the multiswitch and obviously didn't test anything for good signal. And they didn't run 4 lines like I needed for 2 DVRs.

Then I call and the jackass installer/owner won't shut up and let me talk, and says if the work order doesn't say exactly verbatim what needs to be done, they won't do it. They will only do what the work order says, which after calls to DTV install, they said not so, if it is close, the guy should do it, they will pay them.

Anyway, so I have another installation scheduled and now it is 3 weeks from last week to get another installer. The first one only took 5 days. DTV has issues and I told them I was not happy with the installer and how long it is taking to get this thing hooked up correctly.

4 visits from an installer(s) is just not acceptable. They just kind of laughed at my demise on the other end of the phone each time like sorry, but we will try again later.

Anyway, I told them word for word what to put on the work order so there won't be any issue with that, and hopefully they will get me an installer that speaks english this time. The supervisor/owner I guess of the install company I called on his cell phone, he tells me he will come out personally to look at it, of course he no-shows, I even left another message for him later on that day, no returned call.

The saga continues I guess...sorry for off topic rant about the installer, but I guess I have been pretty lucky not to have to call DTV for the last 3 years, because apparently equipment and customer service have gone down the toilet greatly from what I have experienced.

So it appears the end of all of this 2 tuner message is one line isn't working correctly the installer ran from the SAT. I can watch OTA and record SAT, vice versa fine, or even 2 OTAs fine. So I think the unit is working ok, it is a bad install.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.