DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm watching the men's gymnastics right now (the aparatuses) and Alexander Artemov just did a routine on the pommel horse that was among the coolest things I've ever seen. I don't typically watch the men's gymnastics events, but it's on right now and my 4 year old thought it was pretty cool, so we've been watching.

It started off like a normal pommel horse routine, and then about halfway through, he just went off.

So, in light of that, and given that we've all got alot of varying tastes and will be watching alot of different events, I figured I'd start a thread where we can all catalog the "WOW" moments of this years summer olympics.

Obviously last night's Opening Ceremonies is also a WOW! event, and there's another thread talking all about it, so I won't get into that too much here, though it was incredible, I though!

· Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more request... Lets try to avoid talk about the results of the events, if possible.... In case somebody's got something taped and wants to watch. Obviously some stories will be amazing because of the result... so if we're going to discuss it we can't avoid the result. But if at all possible, lets not spoil events that people might not have watched.

· Hall Of Fame
3,136 Posts
Well, trying not to spoil results, one smimming event in particular from Sunday night was unbeleivable. Come from behind victory and total smashing of the record by 4 seconds, including 6 finishers out of 8 under the previous record.

I also agree about that pommell horse routine. My wife and I could not beleive how much movement and height he got.

· Icon
966 Posts
cygnusloop said:
Best race I ever saw. Wow!

My first "fist pumping" moment of these Olympics...
I was standing in front of the TV and on that last lap I could not help but go into a swimming motion and when they won, I was jumping up and down and hollaring just as the athletes were. It was amazing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

· Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MikeR7 said:
I was standing in front of the TV and on that last lap I could not help but go into a swimming motion and when they won, I was jumping up and down and hollaring just as the athletes were. It was amazing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I just watched this race. And even though I knew what was going to happen, I found myself sitting on the edge of my seat.

That's easily the best race I've ever seen.

How bad does it suck to be the 4th and 5th place teams? Beat the world record and not only do you not get GOLD, but you don't get ANY medal at all!

If I read correctly today, Lezak's final leg was 46.06, and the standing world record in the 100 free is 47.5! I didn't do my homework to verify that, but I'm pretty sure that's what one of the news sites I was reading today was reporting!

· Hall Of Fame
3,136 Posts
They did say that he swam the fastest Relay split ever. I am not sure of the 100 freestyle record, but only the first leg of the relay can count as a world record because you have advance warning on when to take off in a relay so you will always be able to beat someone waiting on the gun.

· Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lee L said:
They did say that he swam the fastest Relay split ever. I am not sure of the 100 freestyle record, but only the first leg of the relay can count as a world record because you have advance warning on when to take off in a relay so you will always be able to beat someone waiting on the gun.
Yeah, they did mention that it wasn't an 'official' record of any sort.... It's still an impressive feat to be a full second and a half faster than the current world record (assuming the article I read is correct).

I stayed up late last night to watch the swimming events. The Americans are pretty impressive across the board, but I don't think I've seen a string of performances as dominating as Michael Phelps in my lifetime!

I wasn't around to see Mark Spitz in '72 win his 7 golds, so I don't know if he was head and shoulders above the rest of the field the way Phelps is.

Everytime Michael Phelps gets in the pool, it seems he does something that makes you go WOW. His turns are tremendous. The length that he swims under the water is remarkable. The other guys have 3, 4, 5 strokes before Michael ever comes up out of the water after his turn.

It's looking more and more like he's going to get those 8 gold medals.

· Hall Of Fame
7,184 Posts
Lee L said:
Well, trying not to spoil results, one smimming event in particular from Sunday night was unbeleivable. Come from behind victory and total smashing of the record by 4 seconds, including 6 finishers out of 8 under the previous record.

I also agree about that pommell horse routine. My wife and I could not beleive how much movement and height he got.
The only thing better would have been after speaking all this trash seeing the French finish fourth.

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
It would be nice if they would actually tell us what a perfect score is in gymnastics. It used to be 10.0, but now they've broken it down into 2 scores that add up to a final score.. The highest I've seen is about 16.5.. is that good or very good? Who knows.. they won't tell us. Sounds like they think we're all experts in this sport.

· Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
n3ntj said:
It would be nice if they would actually tell us what a perfect score is in gymnastics. It used to be 10.0, but now they've broken it down into 2 scores that add up to a final score.. The highest I've seen is about 16.5.. is that good or very good? Who knows.. they won't tell us. Sounds like they think we're all experts in this sport.
http://www.slate.com/id/2197336/

The final tally is the sum of the A score and B score; since the difficulty of the current batch of Olympic routines tops out in the 7s, you can expect medal-winning scores to be somewhere in the 16s. And that's one thing opponents of the new system don't like. "A perfect 16.9" lacks the ring of "a perfect 10."
They score based on difficulty and execution.

Execution remains a scale of 10. Difficulty is the 'sum' of your 10 most difficult moves. The article said a double arabian flip (or something) on the balance beam is a really hard move and it gives you .8 on your difficulty score.

Still about as clear as mud... but apparently a 16.5 is a pretty good score.

· Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I couldn't stay up last night to watch the mens swimming.... but I watched them this morning.

I had to pick my jaw up off the floor in the Mens 4x200 relay.

That was complete domination. Generally, if you can get close to the world record in an event, you figure you've got a pretty good shot at gold. The silver medalists in this event were about .3 seconds off the world record.

The winners had time to shower before the rest of the field finished.

· Banned
2,179 Posts
ThunderRoad said:
Didn't Softball just get added to the Olympics not that long ago? I believe it was added when the games were in Atlanta in '96. Evidently when one country wins it every time, the IOC must feel they need to drop the sport.
It seems especially if the winning team is the U.S.A. they want the sport out of the Olympics :raspberry What was great for me was seeing the Men's Tennis Final :sunsmile: I won't give the result, but I loved it :heart: HD is great :hurah:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.