DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Mentor
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thanks, I've always just watched the preseason replays on NFL network, but I'm considering the yearly subscription to NFL+ for this season. As a Rams fan, it would be nice to get the LA telecast with Andrew Siciliano and the rest of that crew. Any idea what determines which telecast they use?

Another question pertaining to the live preseason telecasts - what DVR controls are available? Can you start at the beginning while the game is in progress, and is there a 30-second skip? And is there a 30-second skip on the regular-season replays?
I’m going to try and answer everything with I’m fairly certain has been the norm:

I think the standard protocol is to use the home team’s broadcast crew for live preseason broadcasts. I have seen the other side of the broadcast used on later replays.

I do not recall a means to start at the beginning if a game is in progress. Full game replays are available 10 minutes after the broadcast concludes. The condensed 30-minute replays are available 2-4 hours afterwards.

I cannot answer the 30-second skips. I just don’t utilize DVR stuff as much as a lot of other people on this board. If I miss it, I’ll just watch a replay later on with the condensed replay, so it’s not as much of a priority. It’s got normal pause/rewind capabilities, but I’m not sure about a 30-second specific jump.

Reactions: the2130

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Thanks for the reply, B. Shoe. I use 30-second skip even when I'm watching ad-free recordings of games, because there are still dead spots in the telecasts, like when the teams are lining up for a kickoff between possessions. When the preseason starts I'm probably going to take the 7-day free trial to see how it works.

Are the preseason games archived or do you have to watch them live?

·
Mentor
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Are the preseason games archived or do you have to watch them live?
Preseason games are archived for replay.

Users from last season might need to re-install the NFL app on your connected TV devices. Mine currently pushes to Game Pass, whereas the NFL+ function has been updated on my iPhone and iPad apps. I'm sure that's just a fix with an update, but something to keep an eye on as we're approaching the Hall of Fame Game.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Glad to hear the preseason games are archived, since they often conflict with baseball games this time of year. I don't mind watching preseason games after they are over, but there have been times when I've had to wait as long as 2 days for a replay of a Rams game on NFL Network.

There doesn't seem to be an NFL app on my Samsung TV - just the Sunday Ticket app. The NFL app on my Roku still has GamePass on the menu, but there is an item in the Trending section that says NFL+ is coming soon to connected TVs - it says just in time for the preseason, so maybe it will be available this week. I could try removing and reinstalling the app on the Roku, but it's a hassle to enter login credentials with the remote, so I think I'll wait a few days and check again. Thanks for the info, B. Shoe.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The NFL app has now been updated on Roku to show NFL+. I see last night's preseason game is available with both a full-game and condensed-game replay for subscribers. How long do the replays remain available for the preseason games?

·
Mentor
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The NFL app has now been updated on Roku to show NFL+. I see last night's preseason game is available with both a full-game and condensed-game replay for subscribers. How long do the replays remain available for the preseason games?
Sorry for the delayed reply, I haven't been on the forums all weekend. The preseason replays should remain up there all season and beyond. You can still pull up preseason games from 2019 and 2021. They shouldn't disappear anytime soon.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,320 Posts
what is nflsundayticket.tv? I tried this today and got an error code. I was looking into doretcv streaming for new house so I dont have to wait for the dish however I was told Sunday Ticket is only available on the dish subscription not the streaming. Since I need HOA approval and may take time to install dish my thought was to just pay for one receiver even though it wont be hooked up and use the directv app to cast to appletv or fire sticks for other TV in my house casting from iPads. I looked for DIrectv app on appletv and only one in app store is the streaming version.

·
Mentor
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
what is nflsundayticket.tv? I tried this today and got an error code. I was looking into doretcv streaming for new house so I dont have to wait for the dish however I was told Sunday Ticket is only available on the dish subscription not the streaming. Since I need HOA approval and may take time to install dish my thought was to just pay for one receiver even though it wont be hooked up and use the directv app to cast to appletv or fire sticks for other TV in my house casting from iPads. I looked for DIrectv app on appletv and only one in app store is the streaming version.
NFL Sunday Ticket.tv is the standalone streaming product for NFL Sunday Ticket. It's still owned/operated by DIRECTV, but it's not part of any satellite subscription service. If you tried to subscribe through it, you likely got the error that you don't qualify for that product since your address is listed as eligible for regular DIRECTV service.

I won't pretend to know if you can get a receiver and package access through DIRECTV, without a prior satellite setup and activation. @MysteryMan is very knowledgeable about a lot of DIRECTV services, maybe he can help answer if that is even a possibility. What I would tell you, if that WAS successful, is that you'd still utilize the NFL Sunday Ticket standalone app (available on Apple TV boxes and Fire Sticks) to access Sunday Ticket games, via your DIRECTV account credentials. You wouldn't need a means to cast via a phone/tablet to your television.

·
Mentor
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Little to report from the Week 1, Night 1 of the NFL preseason. Both games streamed without issue within the NFL+ section of the app, and switching between home/away radio broadcasts, and back to the televised broadcast, was an easy one.

Maybe this will change throughout the preseason, but were no commercials during the Ravens-Titans broadcast (Live on NFL+, not NFL Network.) Last season included national spots and a constant flood of NFL Sunday Ticket.tv promos for the non-national broadcasts.

Like last season, those with YTTV should notice that alternate NFL Network channel feeds are available, but the games outside of the main national broadcast are blacked out. Five games on the slate for Friday, settle in for a fun weekend of preseason football!

·
Mentor
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Week 1 of the NFL preseason is complete. There are some subtle notes to acknowledge:
  • In condensed replays, transitions from play to play are done with a subtle crossfade. Last year, condensed replays were simply hard cuts from play to play that made viewing sometimes a little coarse to the ears. This is an improvement for those that watch a lot of condensed replays.
  • Commercials seem to be hit or miss, depending on the location. The Jacksonville-Cleveland game and others included commercial spots, while other games did not.
  • Biggest improvement from last year to this year: If NFL Network left a game early to make the start of a next one (Ex: NFL Net left Steelers-Seahawks for the late game of Rams-Chargers), the stream stayed with the game in the fourth quarter/late stages. In 2021, the stream for the Steelers-Seahawks would also leave early to follow the NFL Network broadcast.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Week 1 of the NFL preseason is complete. There are some subtle notes to acknowledge:
  • In condensed replays, transitions from play to play are done with a subtle crossfade. Last year, condensed replays were simply hard cuts from play to play that made viewing sometimes a little coarse to the ears. This is an improvement for those that watch a lot of condensed replays.
  • Commercials seem to be hit or miss, depending on the location. The Jacksonville-Cleveland game and others included commercial spots, while other games did not.
  • Biggest improvement from last year to this year: If NFL Network left a game early to make the start of a next one (Ex: NFL Net left Steelers-Seahawks for the late game of Rams-Chargers), the stream stayed with the game in the fourth quarter/late stages. In 2021, the stream for the Steelers-Seahawks would also leave early to follow the NFL Network broadcast.
How long are the condensed replays, and do they vary in length?

·
Mentor
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
How long are the condensed replays, and do they vary in length?
They vary in length, simply dependent upon the number of plays in a game. From Week 1, Giants-Patriots is 41 minutes, Titans-Ravens is 36 minutes, Steelers-Seahawks is 39 minutes. You'll still get each play of the game in, with a quick transition to the next play without replays and extra commentary.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,510 Posts
They vary in length, simply dependent upon the number of plays in a game. From Week 1, Giants-Patriots is 41 minutes, Titans-Ravens is 36 minutes, Steelers-Seahawks is 39 minutes. You'll still get each play of the game in, with a quick transition to the next play without replays and extra commentary.
It is hard to imagine that out of a three+ hour event, there's a 60 minute clock and only 40 minutes of something noteworthy. I suppose the Red Hat referee (the one that calls the ad breaks) and the halftime get maybe 1.25 hours of that.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
I'm shocked there was 40 minutes of plays worth showing. I'm thinking they show every play in their condensed game like 2nd down that nets 0 or 1 yard. I prefer the condensed games that only shows significant plays and you can go through the whole game in less than 10 minutes.

·
Mentor
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I'm shocked there was 40 minutes of plays worth showing. I'm thinking they show every play in their condensed game like 2nd down that nets 0 or 1 yard. I prefer the condensed games that only shows significant plays and you can go through the whole game in less than 10 minutes.
I correct myself on my prior statement, as it appears that maybe there's an updated version of the Condensed Replay available now. I just spent some time during lunch watching Steelers-Seahawks again. They are now some added replay moments for bigger plays. That probably adds a few more minutes to the Condensed Replay broadcast. And yes, every play gets added in the NFL+ Condensed Replays.

Short Cuts (via NFL Sunday Ticket) still keeps everything within 30 minutes or less, and will eliminate some of those more non-influential plays. I'm a fan of either option to catch up on games I didn't get to watch much during the week. (And we don't need a DVR!)

It is hard to imagine that out of a three+ hour event, there's a 60 minute clock and only 40 minutes of something noteworthy. I suppose the Red Hat referee (the one that calls the ad breaks) and the halftime get maybe 1.25 hours of that.
There's a decent article from FiveThirtyEight that breaks down some NFL broadcasts and the commercials vs game play time. (Along with other sports, in comparison.)

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,510 Posts
Given that the absense of streaming DVRs that can be programmed for specific clock times and/or minute durations, I don't suppose it matters how long the replays go.

·
Mentor
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
Week 2 of the preseason is underway. Tonight we got our first glimpse of NFL+ streaming a national broadcast outside of the NFL Network bubble, with the ESPN feed. No issues off or on wi-fi networks. Home and away radio feeds worked as normal.

Based on advertisements on-air last night; condensed replays are being pitched as "45-minute replays."

·
Mentor
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Well gang, we're wrapped up with the NFL preseason. There were never any real issues to report from all of the preseason action I watched (sadly, that's more than I care to admit.) But my synopsis is that the NFL+ product is off to a good start. What would I like to see from NFL+ in the future?
  • On-field warmup cameras: ESPN offers what they call "Layup Lines" streams for their national NBA broadcasts. They essentially show players warming up on the court, people filing in to the arena, etc. NBA League Pass does this for select games, also. Arena audio included. This is a draw for those who don't care to watch a bunch of pre-game show content on FOX/CBS/NFLNet.
  • Post-game press conferences: Again, something ESPN regularly streams for several big event broadcasts.
I'm sure there's more I could think of, but work calls me back to the desk.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts