DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· AllStar
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the letter from DISH that I needed to upgrade my old 6000 HD receiver. The installers brought a 211. There were a lot of problems with the outcome and after tlaking with customer servie a few times, I was offered the 222 and they would waive the upgrade fee of $50. So which should I choose?

Here is my set up. I have a whole house video distribution system. One set of outputs (red, white, yellow) go to the house distribution system. One set of outputs (red, white, S video) go directly to the main TV). The HD connections go directly to the main TV also. The 6000 has two sets of red, white, yellow outputs. The 211 and the 222 only have one set.

First question - can I split the red, white, yellow outputs with those pigtail splitters to get the same effect as the two sets of outputs on the 6000?

Second question - since the 222 can run two TV's, can I watch an HD program at the main TV while someone else watches something else on another TV?

Third question - I do not have any HD packages from DISH and don't plan to get any at the moment. The only HD I watch is via the OTA input from my locals. Will I still be able to do that on the 211 and 222?

Fourth question - what else should I consdier and what recommendations do you have for my situation?

Thanks.

Len

· Hall Of Fame
1,286 Posts
First question - can I split the red, white, yellow outputs with those pigtail splitters to get the same effect as the two sets of outputs on the 6000?
yes

Second question - since the 222 can run two TV's, can I watch an HD program at the main TV while someone else watches something else on another TV?
yes

Third question - I do not have any HD packages from DISH and don't plan to get any at the moment. The only HD I watch is via the OTA input from my locals. Will I still be able to do that on the 211 and 222?
with 211 you do not have to subscribe to an HD package because of the promotion you're getting to replace the 6000. If you did the 222, you wouls have to subscribe to an HD package or pay the $7.00 per month HD Enabling Free. Note, the lowest HD package is $10.00 per month.

I think You are probably best just sticking with the 211 and just splitting the RCA signals.

· AllStar
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. Interesting - I thought I asked if I had to get an HD package with the 222, but maybe I didn't. I know I asked about the 211 and the answer was "no" as you said. The offer to waive the $50 fee for the 222 was to appease a ticked off customer. Maybe I just assumed that no HD package or fee went with it too.

Len

· Hall Of Fame
1,286 Posts
Oh, and just for a tad more info, the 222 does have 2 sets of RCA outputs on it. One for TV1 and one for TV2, though in single mode, they will both output the same picture and enable pip functionality

· AllStar
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was just on the phone with DISH for about an hour and a half. There will be no HD access fee with the 211. For the 222 there will be no $50 upgrade fee, but there will be the $7 HD access fee. I'm leaning to sticking with the 211 as you suggested. They are coming tomorrow to reinstall it.

As an FYI, I have a whole house video distribution system that they screwed up trying to install the 211. That's what the loooong call was about and what the return visit tomorrow is all about. I wanted to just install the thing myself, but they didn't initially give me that option.

BTW, unless their website is wrong, it looks like the 222 only has one set of RCA jacks. See http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/product_brochures/ViP222_ProductSheet_HighRes.pdf

Thanks again.

Len

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,579 Posts
What is the point of two independent connections to the main TV???

Is your distribution system RF or line level?

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts

· AllStar
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
harsh said:
What is the point of two independent connections to the main TV???

Is your distribution system RF or line level?
I assume you are talking about the two connections from the 6000? One connection is strictly the HD connection. The other is for SD. About 99.9% of the time I just watch programs in SD for two reasons. First I don't have an HD package yet, so the only HD shows I get would be of the OTA locals. And since I hate commercials, I tape all of those shows on my 626 DVR and watch them in SD. Second, I don't see a whole lot of difference between SD and HD on my Sony TV. Also, only my main TV is HD, so I need to distribute a non-HD signal to the other TV's.

My video distribution system is the ChannelPlus system, this modulator, http://www.channelplus.com/product_detail.php?productId=41 and this cable panel, http://www.channelplus.com/product_detail.php?productId=60

Everything in the video distribution system is linked via RG6 cable.

Please if you have any suggestions, ideas or if I'm doing anything stupid, let me know.

Len

· AllStar
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

· Hall Of Fame
1,286 Posts
The picture there is the back of a 211, will pass that along to whoever can fix it. The 222 is pretty much identical to the 622 minus the hard drive.

· Godfather
452 Posts
We have the 222 (we're on our 3rd one) and have found it (ours at least) to be quite problematic, with many-many-many (did I say many?) reboots required. We have had ours for 9 months and somewhere I lost track of the number of times it has locked up or gotten itself into an endless start-up loop, requiring a reboot. Most problems have been exhibited while trying to recover from simple rain fade. I would not feel comfortable recommending the 222 to anyone.

· Godfather
452 Posts
puckwithahalo said:
The picture there is the back of a 211, will pass that along to whoever can fix it. The 222 is pretty much identical to the 622 minus the hard drive.
I mean no offense, but aside from external cosmetic & rear panel similarities, (and user guide & functional similarities) the 222 is in no other way electrically or design "similar" to the 622. Different mainboard & different firmware (entirely different code base).

· Godfather
452 Posts
lsokoloff said:
Yes, but not in HD on the 2nd set. The HD outputs are only available on HDMI and Component Video. The "2nd set" output is only available as an analog modulated RF-output signal

· Hall Of Fame
1,286 Posts
I mean no offense, but aside from external cosmetic & rear panel similarities, (and user guide & functional similarities) the 222 is in no other way electrically or design "similar" to the 622. Different mainboard & different firmware (entirely different code base).
I meant usage-wise they are identical except for those features that use the hard drive in the 622. I know the hardware is different.

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Gents- I find your comments useful but I have questions.
Like you, I've had 1 1/2 hr discussions with someone in the Philippines.

I am twisting in the wind considering a HDTV and whether to get DISH HD. THe 211 charges confuse me. If you get the $10 HD upgrade, do they still want a $7 fee? if so, why not say its $17? What does one really pay?

Right now - I have the Everything package with the Dish 500. I don't know if its worth going to the 61.5 degree wing dish or just try and buy a 1000.4 dish & a 211 from an internet approved supplier and install the stuff my self.

I like the SD programs and the SD Movies; and have no idea how good HD is. At the stores- I look at the Sony 46 inch sets. The many models and various prices are confusing. No store runs the real world. I am afraid that I may not like the SD channel images on a HD set. Your user experience is appreciated.
When I go into BJ's, all the images on all the sets look the same. So I wonder what is the real world with a 211 in your home?
Thank you for your help.

· Registered
1,062 Posts
DavidRobert said:
I like the SD programs and the SD Movies; and have no idea how good HD is. At the stores- I look at the Sony 46 inch sets. The many models and various prices are confusing. No store runs the real world. I am afraid that I may not like the SD channel images on a HD set. Your user experience is appreciated.
When I go into BJ's, all the images on all the sets look the same. So I wonder what is the real world with a 211 in your home?
Thank you for your help.
It isn't how the SD picture looks on an HD set, it is how the SD picture looks compared to the HD picture.

· AllStar
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DavidRobert said:
I am twisting in the wind considering a HDTV and whether to get DISH HD. THe 211 charges confuse me. If you get the $10 HD upgrade, do they still want a $7 fee? if so, why not say its $17? What does one really pay?

Thank you for your help.
Here are my personal opinions. I got the 211 only as an upgrade to the soon to be obsolete 6000 receiver. I hardly ever watch programs in HD because the difference in picture quality is hardly noticeable. Maybe my SD is better than most or maybe my HD is worse than most, but I can barely tell the difference. Now my 36" tubed Sony is eight years old and maybe the technology of a 2008 set is much better. So at this point I do not have an HD package and don't plan to get one anytime soon. I can get OTA HD programs, but they don't do a whole lot for me. So for me there is no additional HD fee because there was none when I got the 6000 receiver initially. It is my understanding that you don't pay both fees totalling $17, but you pay one or the other.

Len

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.