DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Icon/Supporter
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't make up my mind, so I figured I should ask for everyone's opinion here. Should I get the free second dish installed for the extra locals or just wait till the merger goes through (IF it does)? I would like to see the extra locals since they're free, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to put more holes in the roof of my house and have another dish sitting up there. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
GO for it, take advantage of it! Whats a few holes, you may find that you will like having the 61.5 Dish. Plus if you ever go HD you will only need an HD receiver.

This means almost a $200 savings when you want HD.

Besides there are some good channels on 61.5 that may interest you.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Id do it for 3 reasons
1) E* is giving you something for free
2) Security for future plans, if HD is included
3) You never know what interestring PI channel will pop up on 61.5 this December :)

·
Mentor
48 Posts
How far off is 148 sat from 119 & 110. Dugh! 29 and 38 degress respectively right?

I mean I currently have ample open space pointing at 119 & 110 with a Dish 500. But there are trees either side of this ample space. Is pointing at 148 a totally new direction for the dish or is it a slight difference from what I already have. I'm thinking of the 2nd Dish, BTW, I'm in Houston, TX.

·
Godfather
432 Posts
I got the upgrade mainly to get a SW 64 so that I have the extra output for the 721. Unfortunately no matter how much I tried to convimve them (dealer) they said they would only get reimbursed for a twin because I only had two receivers. I told them that I was going to need the extra outputs for the 721, so they thought that was fine, but Dish still said (I even talked to them) that right now I only had 2 receivers so only the twin.
I worked out a deal with the dealer, and paid them $50 to compensate them for the SW 64 difference with the twin. Dish said that wasn't allowed but we basically worked it out amongst ourselves. So an extra dual lnb and SW 64 for $50, I figured isn't bad.

G

·
How low does the 61.5 satellite need to aim.... I have trees that might intefer with this.... Or does the 61.5 aim straight up....

·
Icon
955 Posts
Andy & Keith,

Go to your Point Dish & Signal screens ( Menu, 6, 1, 1) & enter your zip codes. Then check 61.5 or 148 & you will see the "AzEl" azimouth & elevation angles.

The "wing" satellites appear lower in the sky. Here on the West Coast the dish looks like it's horizontal but fortunately the actual "look angle" is higher. 148 is still lower than 119/110 because 119 is almost exactly due South of Reno, NV (which is, surprisingly, 1 deg west of us - I've won a few bar bets on that).

Take a look at a globe & you'll get the idea.

;)

·
AllStar
62 Posts
Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
GO for it, take advantage of it! Whats a few holes, you may find that you will like having the 61.5 Dish. Plus if you ever go HD you will only need an HD receiver.

This means almost a $200 savings when you want HD.

Besides there are some good channels on 61.5 that may interest you.
My attendant just called Dishnetwork to order a second dish but they couldn't do anything because their computers were down. I cannot use the phone because I cannot use my hands. I use a stick attached to my head to type.

·
AllStar
62 Posts
My attendant just called and got a clueless CSR who knew nothing. She asked what Channel I really wanted. Then she asked somebody who must have known more. To make a long story short they'll install the second dish on June 23rd. The CSR said if any addional work is required I'll have to pay $59.00.

·
Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
The second DISH would allow a Detroit area resident to view WADL 38 and a variety of international programming. You would also have access to HD programming.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
And you would get 3 additonal PI channels, which are all useless, IMHO but YMMV

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
How far off is 148 sat from 119 & 110. Dugh! 29 and 38 degress respectively right?

"I mean I currently have ample open space pointing at 119 & 110 with a Dish 500. But there are trees either side of this ample space. Is pointing at 148 a totally new direction for the dish or is it a slight difference from what I already have. I'm thinking of the 2nd Dish, BTW, I'm in Houston, TX."

It's significant, but the trees may not matter. Remember the DISH is actually pointing 22 degrees above where it appears to point.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.