DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone requested the free second dish in order to receive all of their locals?

Does the 2nd Dish become your property (in other words, do they give it to you to have and own?) or does it still remain the property of Dish Network?

· Hall Of Fame
7,657 Posts
I am not sure about this and even looked on dishnetwork.com and they mention nothing about getting a second dish for free in which I thought by law they were supposed to do but I figure it is either one of the two: it is your property whether you cancel next month or next week, OR it is your property if you keep it for a period of one year. They may have a cancellation fee though but not sure since it was mandated by FCC for them to put it up if customer requests for free of charge.

· Hall Of Fame
1,530 Posts
I doubt that E* would ever want the antenna back, even if it belonged to them. Since they insist on professionally installing it, they would have to pay for a professional uninstall and also the cost of returning it. Dishes simply aren't worth enough for that to make sense.

E* is moving to a new type of LNB, too, so the ones they're installing for the side satellites wouldn't be of much value, either.

I believe it's safe to assume you become the owner.

· Hall Of Fame/Supporter
2,818 Posts
Echostar is required to give you the second dish and free installation if you local into local has stations on a 61.5 or 148 satellite. However, they are turning on spots as fast as possible and moving stations off of the "wing" satellites.

They are racing the clock now that they lost all the court battles over it. It probably costs them $250 to do one of the installations (dish, lnb, switch, have someone come out, overhead, etc). If you watch the lyngsat.com web site you will notice that a huge number of markets no longer have need for these.

This last week they turned on 4 more transponder spots alone and moved 40-50 stations. As soon as they get E8 up and running they probably will not have to use them at all any more.

G

·
Major V
If you have locals in your DMA that are located at winged sat locations 61.5 or 148 degrees and you currently subscribe to the local package for your DMA then you qualify for the second dish.
The second dish is installed for free plus all applicable switches to get your current set-up up and running to receive all the stations that you are supposed to receive in your local DMA.
The dish, lnb , and all applicable switches are yours to keep they are your equipment. You do not have to return the equipment back to DISH. YOU can do whatever you want to do with them after the install or even after you cancel.

It is in DISH'S best interests to leave the dish there because , well look at it this way. They now have a potential customer for HDTV who might consider subscribing to HDTV because they already have the equipment and do not have to buy anything else but the HDTV capable receiver and tv equipment.

In my own case I had the extra dish installed in early January. The installer put up a dish 300, a lnb for the 300, and a SW-64 switch. to receive three stations that were in the Salt Lake City, Utah DMA.
I found out that I started to watch two out of the three channels alot mainly because I like to watch Perry Mason and a couple of other shows so it turned out good.
Just recently DISH moved all of the locals in the SLC local DMA package to the 119 degree satellite location on transponder 9.
With that move I now do not have a current use for the dish installed for the 148 degree location.

However I am glad that I did request the extra dish solely for the reason that I received a SW 64 switch which then gave me the opportunity to expand to up to 4 receivers.

Dish will come out in the long run IMHO because they have already sold me two more receivers, and are currently receiving the additional receiver fees that are incurred.

If you are considering getting the additional dish if you qualify for it , I'd have to say DO IT NOW!

I have a friend that I work with that ordered the second dish and was given a date of installation for 3 weeks away. Two days before the installation DISH called and canceled the installation because the locals for the SLC DMA were moved to the 119 degree sat ........ He no longer needed the extra dish= no installation.

He said he wished he'd ordered it sooner. He only knew about it from Jan 3, 2002 until the latter part of May......
Procrastination..................

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, of course the fact that they were moving all the locals onto the main satellites is one of the reasons why I decided to take them up on their offer. I wanted the 2nd Dish (not really for the extra channel I was missing), but for the "extra" international & HD channels that are on the side satellite.

So, I'm glad I got it before they took back their offer.

Also, I don't feel that this merger is going to go through. It's just a hunch. With all of the accounting fraud cases, I doubt Dish (whose former auditor was Arthur Anderson) will be allowed to merge. Therefore, I believe that the side satellites will be more heavily used in the future as more networks launch.

Anyway, thanks to every one for posting their opinion. I still do not know for sure if I "own" the 2nd Satellite or if it's just mine to "borrow".

:confused:

· Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
I do not know that they have taken the offer back and I am not sure they intend to move locals off 61.5 and 148. When I look at the EKB charts I see whole cities moved to spots but in most cases even newly added cities have some stations coming from the wings.

I think most of us thought they would move things off the wings but I am not sure that this is the long range plan---unless the merger happens. In fact I am m not sure that they have enough spots to do this the way E7 and E8 are configured.

Does anyone else know if such a plan was ever announced.

· Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
Originally posted by Major-V
Anyway, thanks to every one for posting their opinion. I still do not know for sure if I "own" the 2nd Satellite or if it's just mine to "borrow".

:confused:
Major-V - if you have sideslot locals available and Dish comes out to install a second dish for you to receive them, then you become the owner of everything they install - dish, cables and switch(es). You are not borrowing the equipment from them - it's yours.

The only way this may not apply is if you are under the digital home plan, in which case you don't own any of your equipment, but are leasing it from Dish.

· AllStar
98 Posts
Not only do you get the free SW-64 and installation for free but two of my receivers are older models and I was told that they will be replaced with 301's free of charge with new warranties.

Anyway that you look at it this is a great deal.

· Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
This only applies to the Philly DMA where the new receiver's capability to receive 129° is necessary. By the same token you will NOT get a dish that points at 61.5° for HDTV, Sky Angel or foreign channels.

See ya
Tony

· Hall Of Fame/Supporter
2,818 Posts
The FCC ruled that requiring people to install a second dish for some locals was in violation of the "must carry" rules. Echostar must move all the locals to one dish. Now E* has the choice they can move all the locals for a market to a second dish or have all of them on the primary dish.

http://ftp.fcc.gov/Bureaus/MB/News_Releases/2002/nrmb0201.html

There is the link to the press release. As part of an emergency agreement E* has to provide the free second dish/install and provide monthly status report to the FCC on progress to eliminating the need for the second satellite (i.e. status on spot beam usage, E8, etc).

· Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Mike,

Like with anything else having to do with the Government, you have to be VERY careful what you read into a statement. The link you provided says: ""two-dish" plan, as implemented, violates both the Communications Act and the Commission's rules"

Notice the words "AS IMPLEMENTED". This means that the fact that Dish requires a second Dish isn't the problem. It's the way they went about it. Dish has changed many things about their approach:

1) They either already have or are still in the process of loading software to EVERY receiver that alerts customers to channels they could be receiving if they call Dish to get a free second (or eliptical) dish (philly).

2) The either sent or will send a notice to every locals subscriber without a second dish a notice that more local chanels are available on a second dish and that Dish will install one free of charge for them.

3) Dish no longer has an expiration date on the free dish offer. Originally Dish had a "limited time offer" for the second dish. This went away in a very big hurry.

There was an update to this (a 90 day complience report) posted here somewhere. Essentially is says Dish is on track.

------

Geronimo,

As far as I know there are no plans to move the side slot channels to the main slots. Some may end up going to the spot beams, but overall they will remain where they are with the possible exception of Philladelphia after E*8 goes up.

The reason for this is that having the main channels on the main slots attracts more customers. When Dish originally offered locals and they were only on the side slots, that received only a mild welcome. As long as the big 7 or whatever are on the main slot, most custopmers are happy and it is they, not Dish, that are choosing to forego getting the additional channels.

See ya
Tony

· New Texan
11,467 Posts
Since I was the one who posed synopsis of the 30-day and 90-day reports, I will answer the questions as best as I can.

Originally posted by TNGTony
Notice the words "AS IMPLEMENTED". This means that the fact that Dish requires a second Dish isn't the problem. It's the way they went about it. Dish has changed many things about their approach:
That's correct, and Dish is implementing this on several levels.

1) They either already have or are still in the process of loading software to EVERY receiver that alerts customers to channels they could be receiving if they call Dish to get a free second (or eliptical) dish (philly).

The 301s firmware upgrade are already completed. The 501s formware upgrade are in final testing. Dish expects to have the filmware updated across the entire line by the end of July.

2) The either sent or will send a notice to every locals subscriber without a second dish a notice that more local chanels are available on a second dish and that Dish will install one free of charge for them.

This has already been done.

3) Dish no longer has an expiration date on the free dish offer. Originally Dish had a "limited time offer" for the second dish. This went away in a very big hurry.

According to the dish 30 day report, the March 31st deadline wasn't really enforced, and while a August 31st deadline was mentioned, it was removed months ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.