DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Godfather
Joined
·
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adding another HDDVR to my house soon (was supposed to be last Saturday, had a no show and rescheduled for 9/20 - but that is another story). The new one will be going into the kitchen and I will be running an ethernet cable to it from my living room. In the living room, I only have 1 port left open on my switch. I think I remember hearing the the 2nd (bottom) ethernet port is simply a pass through connection, is this correct? If it is, I would like to run out from that port into my newer HDDVR and keep the open port on my switch for another, future use when I have one.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,208 Posts
Starchy77 said:
I am adding another HDDVR to my house soon (was supposed to be last Saturday, had a no show and rescheduled for 9/20 - but that is another story). The new one will be going into the kitchen and I will be running an ethernet cable to it from my living room. In the living room, I only have 1 port left open on my switch. I think I remember hearing the the 2nd (bottom) ethernet port is simply a pass through connection, is this correct? If it is, I would like to run out from that port into my newer HDDVR and keep the open port on my switch for another, future use when I have one.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Yes it is a pass through, I have my HD-DVD A30 running from it on my HR21-100
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,266 Posts
I’d be tempted to just buy a bigger switch, especially if the intention is to be ready for MRV. The 2nd port on the HR21 is just a “repeater” which means the Ethernet cable from the switch to it and then the cable from it to the new DVR will always “echo” everything on that branch. You can buy an 8-port switch for around $20 these days. With all the modern devices now network-capable (HD-DVR’s, computers, Blu-Ray players, PS3’s, etc.) you might want some extra capacity.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,952 Posts
waynebtx said:
Yes it is a pass through, I have my HD-DVD A30 running from it on my HR21-100
I have an HD-DVD A3 that I got closeout at 69 bucks...I had to steal its network connection for something else in my HT stack....and had completely forgotten about the 2nd port in my HR21! Thanks for reminding me. I was going to go out and buy an 8 port switch, but now I can simply use the 2nd port on the HR21-200 for the A3. In fact, I'm doing it now and new firmware is being downloaded as I type this message.

For the little bit use the A3 network side (updating mostly), I doubt it will place that much of a load on the network, even the "repeating" port. I guess I'll find out, as I can save fifty bucks or so by using the spare port on the HR21, unless it causes problems. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the reminder!
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rudeney said:
I'd be tempted to just buy a bigger switch, especially if the intention is to be ready for MRV. The 2nd port on the HR21 is just a "repeater" which means the Ethernet cable from the switch to it and then the cable from it to the new DVR will always "echo" everything on that branch. You can buy an 8-port switch for around $20 these days. With all the modern devices now network-capable (HD-DVR's, computers, Blu-Ray players, PS3's, etc.) you might want some extra capacity.
Thanks for the feedback Rodney! Since the new receiver is going in the kitchen (mainly for my wife to watch soaps while cooking or doing the dishes), we probably won't be using VOD much, or even MRV if/when that is ever available. Mostly I want it connected so it can give some feedback to DTV once in a while and allow me to be authorized to watch NFLST games in the kitchen if I want to (maybe while getting some chips & dip during the game!). I will keep this info in mind, though, if we do start doing more VOD or MRV stuff in there. I bought the switch I have now for $10, so it definitely isn't too expensive to invest in a larger one (or maybe just a second one) if my demands for access spike.:)
 

· Icon
Joined
·
596 Posts
Starchy77 said:
Thanks Wayne! I'm gonna prewire this tonight and wait patiently for my 9/20 install.........:smoking:
About your install, if you log in to your account on Directv.com, and go to orders you might be able to reschedule your install to a closer date.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TimGoodwin said:
About your install, if you log in to your account on Directv.com, and go to orders you might be able to reschedule your install to a closer date.
Thanks! I checked it out, and they did have a few earlier dates, but only on weekdays. With the track record the installers have for coming to my house, there is no way I can take a day off of work to wait around for them - figuring they may not show up anyway. Good advice though!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top