DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Legend
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought i would let you all know.My cousin had his 10-250 replaced like the rest of us a while ago for free or cheap depending who you are.He called playing dumb about east/west cbs feeds he no longer has.csr said to tune to your local cbs and it will be hd.She then relized what room he was talking about(office) and offered to replace his 10-250 again for free.Got it in the mail today and it works fine.So to recap 10-250 replaced for free a year ago and replaced for free today.this has nothing to do w/ anniversary either,he got a hr-21 free 3+ weeks ago.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
I can’t really begrudge people who take advantage of multiple HR10-250 upgrades. Many of these people paid nearly $1,000 for those units with the expectation that they were making an investment in their future TV viewing. It was D* that created the problem by not making them MPEG4 capable in the first place and not mentioning to the early adopters that they were going to abandon MPEG2 HD in a few years. On top of that, this is really D*’s own problem for not having a customer service department with the tools and knowledge to keep up with which units have been replaced already. Yes, this is the same customer service that makes promises they don’t keep and can’t fix simple problems without the customer having to call five and six times.

· AllStar
63 Posts
The number one complaint I hear from everyone I know is how much it costs for the HD DVRs. I have kept at least 5 familes with DirecTV by telling them what to say and how to go about getting a free upgrade to the HD DVR. At least half of them already had appointments set up with Comcast but then decided to stay with DTV when what I told them worked.

The truly amazing thing to me is that after these people decided to stay and upgrade, they have not complained when the DVRs act up like we all know they do lately. For example, my friend just got a new HR-21 that loses sound at least once a night and has to be turned off before it comes back on. I have see it happen twice during a football game two weeks ago but I never attempted to figure out why. However, he does not seem to care that much. Why, because it got it FREE!!! I told him to call and see if it can be fixed as it should not be doing that but at no point was he irate about it.

It is sad that we have to know these types of ways to "work the system". With a receiver/lease fee, hd package, and DVR fee they have a way to recoup some of the costs. Not to mention that these receivers are LEASED, they should be free to their customers. I am fine having to wait a year or so between upgrades but waiting a year and still paying 200+ dollars is ridiculous. Plus, why do they keep releasing new models when they can't get their exisiting models working properly, HR20->HR21, HR22, not to mention the -100, -600, -700. Pick one and work out the bugs, it is a lot easier to support 1 revision of software rather than 20.

End Rant!

· Super Moderator
13,787 Posts
CJTE said:
Yea, lets tell everyone to go rape/abuse the system.
I agree with you.

However, it's also Directv's problem. Their record keeping should have caught this. ;)

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.