DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In one of the posts, Earl mentioned that for all the commands such as "skip to end", "skip to beginning", etc. a completely separate IR command is sent after 3 seconds. I know most people, including myself, with Harmony remotes have some difficulty getting these commands to execute successfully. The best solution was to hold the button for 3 seconds, release, then press again.

After thinking about what Earl said, I decided to try something. I had the Harmony learn a new command directly from the HR20 remote. What I did was block the IR emitter (with my hand) for 3 seconds then quickly point the remote at my Harmony just in time to catch that separate command.

It works!

Now my "skip to end" works just like it does on my Tivo.

This is not an easy process though. It takes a lot of guess and checking. What I did was create 5 different commands such as SkipEnd1,SkipEnd2, SkipEnd3, etc. and attempt my "hand blocking" technique 5 times. I then tested it on the receiver and once I found a successful command, I went back and deleted the others.

Hope this works for everyone else.

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lamontcranston said:
If you hooked up your camcorder to a monitor while capturing, you could see the pause between the two commands.
I tried this with my digital camera as well. It's no help. In fact it made me wonder how exactly IR works. No matter which button I pressed it all looked the same--just rapidly flashing lights.

lamontcranston, yes I blocked it for 3 seconds. But, I suppose you could also just point the remote away for 3 seconds.

By the way, I wasn't really paying attention to which method worked the best. For some of my "trials" I held down the button until the software captured the command. Other times, I released the button right after I pointed it at the harmony.

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to update. I went back and tried to program all the other commands such as Skip to Beginning and Skip to Next Tick and I couldn't for the life of me get it to work.

Then I went back to try Skip to End again and couldn't get that one either.

I assume this means you have to nail the timing dead on, which means I got really lucky the first time around. I'm still playing around with the timing, but if I can manage to get all the commands captured, I have no problem seeing if Harmony will add them to the database.

Keith

UPDATE: I got Skip to Beginning to work partially. It skips back a couple times before going to the beginning.

UPDATE: There's something very particular that must be done, which I'm trying to figure out. If I block the IR emitter of the HR20 remote for 2 1/2 seconds then unblock it, the HR20 does not skip to end. This means that it's not just a matter of catching that one command at the 3 second mark. I'm thinking it must be a combination of the slip command and the skip to end command.

If anyone else has the time to experiment, input would help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.