DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 5 lnb dish and hr20 install scheduled for tod ay. When the tech came he said that it would be a waste of time to install the 5 lnb dish because there are a line of trees impeading the sight line for the extra lnb's. I did take the hr20 though.

I am going to mount an antenna on my roof so hopefully I can receive locals in hd.

My questions are:

1. The tech said the extra lnb's are for hd locals only is he correct?

2. For any new hd stations, will I be able to receive the mpeg4 feed with my 3 lnb dish and hr20 receiver?

3. When I hit power off on the hr20 remote, will any shows record when the hr20 is off?

Thank you for any assistance.

·
You make it, We break it
4,480 Posts
That's what I thought too. Aren't the new Ka satellites actually sitting inside the range of the original 3? I thought they went to Ka so they could have them close to the others without interfering with them.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,930 Posts
WinstonSmith said:
I was under the impression that if you could get all three sats w/ the MultiSatellite dsh you'd be able to get all 5.
99W is just a little to the left of 101W. It is not out of the question, but I'm inclined to think that they are missing something.

·
Godfather
313 Posts
grandprix02gtp said:
I had a 5 lnb dish and hr20 install scheduled for tod ay. When the tech came he said that it would be a waste of time to install the 5 lnb dish because there are a line of trees impeading the sight line for the extra lnb's. I did take the hr20 though.

Thank you for any assistance.
Did he actually try something or did he just eyeball it. If all he did is eyeball, I'd get another opinion. Maybe he just didn't feel like installing it.

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tech was looking through a device and said that there has to be 10 degrees and he only saw 5 degrees. Also, he said that the dish is very heavy (65 lbs) and since the dish is mounted on the corner of my roof, if a strong wind came, it could pull some of my roof off. Should I call Ironside Communications and get a second opinion or just wait for an antenna that might work.

Also, could I use my hr10-250 for just the OTA until the OTA is turned on on the HR20?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
grandprix02gtp said:
The tech was looking through a device and said that there has to be 10 degrees and he only saw 5 degrees. Also, he said that the dish is very heavy (65 lbs) and since the dish is mounted on the corner of my roof, if a strong wind came, it could pull some of my roof off. Should I call Ironside Communications and get a second opinion or just wait for an antenna that might work.

Also, could I use my hr10-250 for just the OTA until the OTA is turned on on the HR20?

Thanks for any advice.
The 3-LNB dish needs to "see" the 101, 110 and 119-deg W satellites. The 5-LNB AT9 dish needs to "see" the 99, 101, 103, 110 and 119-deg W satellites. So usually if you have clear view with the 3-LNB dish, you're also good with the 5-LNB. Size and weight are a different matter.

It's getting a bit past the prime time, but you can use the sun's location in the sky to help you site your satellite dish ....

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=63277

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
The 5 LNB dish is 35 LBS or so not 65 LBS. If the install was arranged thru DIRECTV call them back and tell them the tech refused to install the 5 LNB dish.

More than likey the installer will keep the dish he was supposed to install even though he'll charge DIRECTV for it. When they come out and do a free install someone has to be paying the local installer for the equipment and labor costs.

A strong wind won't rip anything off the roof if the dish mounting bracket is attached to a stud not just the thin roof wood sheets. Most installers just screw some screws or lag bolts into the roof with no clue whether they hit a stud or not.

·
8 Posts
please take my advice and get another installer to look again.i had two different installers tell me the i had no line of sight from my balcony (i just knew they were lazy or wrong) so i hired my own person to install the dish and guess what i have direct tv with no problem.Second problem was getting a 5 lnb dish installed 2 more direct tv installers came on 2 different appts. and told me no line of sight for the new dish. finally a supervisor came over(after many hours on the phone with customer service)supervisor could not understand why the previous installers told me what they did.anyway the supervisor hooked up the dish within 1 hour right where my 3 lnb was.Moral is Do not listen to these guys If i did i would not have direct tv right now. good luck

·
Godfather
440 Posts
activeone said:
please take my advice and get another installer to look again.i had two different installers tell me the i had no line of sight from my balcony (i just knew they were lazy or wrong) so i hired my own person to install the dish and guess what i have direct tv with no problem.Second problem was getting a 5 lnb dish installed 2 more direct tv installers came on 2 different appts. and told me no line of sight for the new dish. finally a supervisor came over(after many hours on the phone with customer service)supervisor could not understand why the previous installers told me what they did.anyway the supervisor hooked up the dish within 1 hour right where my 3 lnb was.Moral is Do not listen to these guys If i did i would not have direct tv right now. good luck
Take the advice and call D* back, like said above.....

·
2 Posts
So if I could hijack this a bit... seems like a good place to pop my question. How many coax lines are coming off the 5 lnb into my house? I have a 3 lnb currently, which if I'm not mistaken has a built in multiswitch and sends 4 coax lines into the house. With the 5 lnb, am I gaining a line? Reason I ask is that my house was pre-wired and I simply had to have the 3 lnb dish plugged into the side of the house. Curious if I'm going to have to run a new line. Thanks.

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.