DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Godfather/Supporter
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you guys think of the 30th Man Voting instituted this year for the All Star Game? And who are you voting for?

I like the idea a lot. It's a great way to acknowledge the All Stars who can't fit on the roster. They probably wouldn't get to play anyway, and for four of them, it'll preserve the precious three days off. They can get a little recognition, and the fans can have a little fun.

This year's American League nominees are Eric Chavez, Johnny Damon, Darin Erstad, Magglio Ordonez, and Jim Thome. In the National League, the nominees are Brian Giles, Andruw Jones, Ryan Klesko, Albert Pujols, and Larry Walker. Write-ins are also accepted.

Voting takes place from now until 6:00 on Tuesday, July 2.

I'll admit my votes are little biased, but every once in a while, I have to act like a fan, whether I like it or not. I chose Johnny Damon in the AL because he's never been before. I chose Larry Walker in the NL because I like the guy personally.

·
Icon
715 Posts
Biased for me would of been Darin and Ryan, but I voted for Magglio and Andruw. I thought they were the most deserving. You can vote over and over again as I discovered last night, but I only did it once. Yes, it's a great idea. Maybe next year, they can institute a policy of a manager not selecting a whole freakin' team to the game. That would certainly be good. :)

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
Wrote in Tim Salmon (Rodney Dangerfield of MLB)... and Brian Giles

then voted for Thome and Giles.

·
Icon
715 Posts
Originally posted by John Corn
Wrote in Tim Salmon (Rodney Dangerfield of MLB)..
I don't know whether to laugh or cry! :)

I love the fish streaming upstream as I've seen him play going back to high school at one of my archrivals in Greenway in North Phoenix, but I was at Friday night's game. :) His average was up to .277 and he was starting to have better power stats than Troy, but Tim jokingly doesn't deserve to be an all-star this year. That's like me voting for 4-10 Chuck. :D Another bad April for Tim (thankfully came out of it this year), but his swing isn't what it was at 16 at Greenway or at Grand Canyon or even 3 years ago here in Anaheim. Age is catching up to his swing unfortunately. His fielding on Friday was just awful. Worst I've ever seen from him.

·
Godfather/Supporter
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Johnny Damon had a huge advantage over Jim Thome that produced his slim margin of votes. His Red Sox played two games during the voting period, while Thome's Indians played none. The Red Sox television and radio broadcasters were absolutely relentless in telling people to vote on the Red Sox or MLB web sites, especially during yesterday afternoon's game. They also mentioned often that Johnny was in the lead but that his lead was slipping.

In spite of this, I do think the right guys were selected, even though I would have had no complaints if future Red Sox first baseman Thome (sorry, John :D) had been picked.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
:lol:......I sure hope not Maniacal1

Jim is a class act, homeboy so to speak, he loves the outdoors.
He's a hunting fishing kinda guy, drives a Hummer to from the games. Cleveland Fans would be lost right now without Jim and Omar.

I guess anything can happen when it comes to trading players.....:shrug:

By the way......Lee, the pitcher acquired in the Colon trade looked awesome pitching for the Class AA Akron Aero's in his first debut.
He had a no hitter going into 6 innings, all the local sports writers seemed in be in total "aw" with this kids pitching.

Has anyone noticed the Class AA Akron Aero's record, this team is kicking A$$ this year. Both Cleveland farm clubs are playing excellent baseball, I hope this is a sign of the future to come. :)

·
Godfather/Supporter
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Indians definitely got real talent from Montreal. I think you'll be pleased with the results, though it may take a year or two.

Yes, Jim is definitely a class act. I haven't met him, but I've worked with one of his agents for 17 years. He raved about Thome to me, as a person as well as an athlete, while he was still at Double A.

As much as I'd love to see Thome in a Red Sox uniform, their real need right now is another pitcher (who might well be Dustin Hermanson as soon as next week) and a backup outfielder who can play center field. I'm still convinced that Tony Clark will contribute at first base. I've heard that the Indians are convinced that the Sox will make a big pitch for Thome if he becomes a free agent, but I'm not sure their needs for next season won't be filled elsewhere.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
The Colon trade here wasn't taken well.
The only problem I have with this trade is , it's always hard to replace good pitching, hitters are a dime a dozen.....so to speak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts