DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok -- I used to know more about this when I had a 721 and a DP44 switch -- but when i was upgrade to the 722, the installer came, replaced my dish, and took my DP44 with him (which I didn't notice until too late)... In any case, I've kinda lost touch with the newer (DPP?) stuff...

So, what I have right now is JUST a 722. It has coax feeds coming into it. The check switch screen says that the switch is a "DPP1k.4". Both inputs show the same thing -- Feed #1 is pointing at 77, #2 is at 72, #3 is at 61.5, #4 is X/NC.

What I'd like to do is temporarily connect a 311 to the second coax. I have an old 311 that I've had forever -- and I have my grandmother coming to visit for a couple of months. Just to keep things simple instead of using the coax output or anything, I'd rather just lose a tuner on my 722 for a while and have her use just the 311.

Can I do that? I tried just removing the second input from the 722, connecting it to the 311, and running a check switch -- but no mater what I try, it always comes up as no switch detected. Is the 311 compatible with the "DPP1k.4" setup?

The 311 is running P439.

Thanks!

- John...

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah -- got ya -- thanks! I actually have a spare 500 sitting around. Maybe I'll connect it up and give it a go temporarily.

If I connect it up myself, will I have any trouble activating it when I call Dish? I mean, are they going to go "Um, you're pointing at the eastern arc, so we can't activate that" -- or are they fine if I go "yeah, I know, so I hooked up my old 500 too." I don't want to go through the trouble of reconnecting and pointing the Dish 500 stuff if they are going to hassle me to activate the 311! :)

Thanks again!

- John...

·
Super Moderator
53,488 Posts
The last time I activated a receiver the conversation centered around channels I could tune on the receiver. You shouldn't have to prove that you can get a Western Arc signal to activate the 311.

·
Icon
823 Posts
Interesting question. I've heard you cannot activate an SD reciever if your account is flagged as an HD only account. 1 of the DIRT team members should be able to answer this one definitively though. Im curious to know the answer though. I would also like to activate an older SD receiver (non-eastern arc) just for the sole purpose of getting that DVR 2 hour buffer back which non of the vip recievers will do. You cant temporarily set up the dish in the front yard? If no one helps you here I'd certainly call and activate the recvr first b4 goin thru the trouble of installing the dish on the roof.

·
Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
If your account is flagged EA then they won't let you activate an SD receiver.

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to follow up, you were correct -- they could not activate the 311 since my account was set as HD (although, to their credit, after I begged a bit, they really TRIED to do it). After trying a few different things for 20+ minutes, they finally gave up and offered to send me a 211 in exchange for an old 522 that I had lying around. (I had an old DishPVR 501 that I tried to offer instead, but they would not take it in trade -- nor my 721 for that matter -- only the 522).

I took them up on their offer -- seems like a good deal to me. Used 522s go for almost nothing on EBay -- and a 211 goes for $50-$75 fairly regularly. So, even if I end up NOT using the 211 much in the end, I could always just sell it or something. But my current plan us to use it for a while and then just keep it as a spare when I take it back off the account in a couple of months after my grandmother leaves.

So, hey, free 211 for me! :)

- John...

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,422 Posts
Don't be so sure it will be your. If you didn't read all stories here about suddenly changed ownership of owned box...

When you'll get activated, don't forget to ask put a written note to your account - the 211 is OWNED by you. By default it will be owned by THEM.

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Indeed -- I brought this up when it was offered and triple-checked that the 211 would be OWNED by ME. But, yes, when I go to activate it, I'll quad-check and make sure that they add a proper note too! :)

Thanks!

- John...

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,422 Posts
I would (as I did last time when got the mater third time - the boxes become suddenly (out of blue, yeah) owned by them AGAIN, while I bought these boxes) use online chat and will save it and print it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.