DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I would think so... I don't think you could keep the TV or AVR up but the DVR I think would be ok.

·
Icon
1,288 Posts
You almost HAVE to have a UPS on your DVR. Without one, one little half-second power interruption and you've got a ten minute reboot. I think I bought one within a week of my first Tivo delivery.

·
Godfather
378 Posts
rahlquist said:
Would one 325va ups for each of these be enough to take us through our 30 second power outages? Our outages are all either less than one minute or hours on end.
Where do you live? South Boston? :)

The answer is.... Yes.

I have my two DirecTivos on 325 or 350 VA UPS systems. They actually continue to run for 30-40 mins in the event of a power outage. I have nothing else plugged into the UPS - just the DVR.

Most recently, all our outages have been for many hours (7 in the last two months!) - but at least it lets me put the system into stand-by mode peacefully after the power goes. That's assuming I'm around (and the outages usually only occur at times I'm at home!)

APC's website had a tool that would calculate the run time for a given UPS powering a device pulling a certain amount of power. I looked up the Tivo's power requirements from the specs page on the back of the manual.

You could go crazy and buy an expensive one to keep it up for hours - but my aim is to just avoid disk crashes from sudden power outages, not keep it recording TV shows when the power is down.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I run an APC1500 on main setup (dvr,52"tv,surround, and SWM/ant power)..
an APC750 on second setup (37"tv and dvr)
an APC750 on third setup (26"tv and dvr)
All three will stay up for at least 15 minutes.. sometimes I have to check the clocks in the other room to tell it went out :)
Also saved a ton of equipment when the lines got torn down on the street.. we had 240v on a 115v line.. lots of fried stuff everywhere but the UPSs just switched to battery :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.