DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Legend
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Knock on wood", but this just may be the ticket.

I recently purchased a Harmony 880 Remote to use with my system. Using both D*'s remote alongside with the Harmony, the D* remote locked up (Function Light stays lit) atleast twice, while at the same time I'm able to use the Harmony remote with no problems at all. This is not a "crossing the streams" case scenario, but just a matter of stablity. After a few days of use I now use the Harmony Remote exclusively. This thing even navigates through my Samsung DVD Player's sluggish interface with ease.

I also took my HR21 off my network and its much more stable. So maybe keeping this DVR as a standalone and using a 3rd party remote will work out for some here.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
808 Posts
Using 3rd Party remotes to control one's system in not uncommon among D* users. It offers several advantages not available on a standard D* remote, such as:

Macros - a sequence of commands through a single button press

Punch Through - Controlling a different component (such as volume control on an AV Receiver) instead of from the TV itself. On a D* remote, one would have to switch the slide over to AV1, AV2, etc.

And... on some 3rd Party remotes, such as your 880...

PC Programmable - Easier to program via computer

Colored Icons - For that "wow factor"

Also, there are other 3rd Party remotes that have RF capability via Base Stations with addressable IR emitters. This allows the user to control devices which are "out of sight", like in a closed cabinet or equipment closet. One can also control multiple identical devices without conflict.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DBSNewbie said:
Using 3rd Party remotes to control one's system in not uncommon among D* users. It offers several advantages not available on a standard D* remote, such as:

Macros - a sequence of commands through a single button press

Punch Through - Controlling a different component (such as volume control on an AV Receiver) instead of from the TV itself. On a D* remote, one would have to switch the slide over to AV1, AV2, etc.

And... on some 3rd Party remotes, such as your 880...

PC Programmable - Easier to program via computer

Colored Icons - For that "wow factor"

Also, there are other 3rd Party remotes that have RF capability via Base Stations with addressable IR emitters. This allows the user to control devices which are "out of sight", like in a closed cabinet or equipment closet. One can also control multiple identical devices without conflict.
Fully aware of that, my point was to address Stability issues that I've been suffering from using my HR21. Using this remote thus far, I haven't had any lock up issues with my 880 compared to D*'s remote. Plus I'm gaining more confidence as I now use this remote exclusively without fear of the GUI slowing down to a crawl, then completely locking up, of course this could be due to the fact that my DVR is now off the network.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
808 Posts
groove93 said:
Fully aware of that, my point was to address Stability issues that I've been suffering from using my HR21. Using this remote thus far, I haven't had any lock up issues with my 880 compared to D*'s remote. Plus I'm gaining more confidence as I now use this remote exclusively without fear of the GUI slowing down to a crawl, then completely locking up, of course this could be due to the fact that my DVR is now off the network.
Okay. :)

Sorry about that. Point taken.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,266 Posts
What you describe is the remote locking up, not the HR2x. Did you notice the function light staying lit before? If so, that could have been your problem all along. That does sound like a defective remote. You could try a factory reset (press MUT+SELECT to enter programming mode and then dial 9-8-1). If that doesn’t do it, and you have the PP, D* will replace it for free. Of course you probably won’t need it since you are happy with the Harmony.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rudeney said:
What you describe is the remote locking up, not the HR2x. Did you notice the function light staying lit before? If so, that could have been your problem all along. That does sound like a defective remote. You could try a factory reset (press MUT+SELECT to enter programming mode and then dial 9-8-1). If that doesn't do it, and you have the PP, D* will replace it for free. Of course you probably won't need it since you are happy with the Harmony.
Yes the remote has locked up before, using RF and IR settings. Removing one of the batteries was the solution for me. Even when the remote was working under normal conditions I still had performance issues with the DVR itself, including using the buttons on the DVR rather than the remote. Simple commands were delayed to the point where it would take a minute or two for the channel to change. Inevitably hitting the reboot button fixed the trick.

The Harmony works much better and for the simple fact that I'm having an improved experience with my Samsung DVD player (known to have a slow interface), I'm gaining more confidence with my DVR. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that when I re-enable this DVR on my network, the stability I have now will stay the same.

For now, that D* remote will be layed to rest, regardless if it was working or not.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rudeney said:
LOL! Yes, I have a small "graveyard" of five or six D* remotes in my closet. I only use the D* remotes on two TV's, the rest have Prontos. And the two that do use D* remotes, I upgraded to the RC64RB.
What's really funny is that I now have no use for my right hand. I always had atleast one component remote in the right hand while the D* Remote in the left. With Macros set up for various functions, I may now develop a drinking habit with the right.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
18 Posts
Has anyone heard anything about an update to correct this networking fiasco?

groove93 said:
What's really funny is that I now have no use for my right hand. I always had atleast one component remote in the right hand while the D* Remote in the left. With Macros set up for various functions, I may now develop a drinking habit with the right.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top