DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

We are in the process of selling our home, moving into a rental for 6 months and then buying another home (once we find one). We have 4 months left on contract, so I called last night and got put through to retention. I explained my situation and told them I am happy with the service and price but was told I have three options...

1. Pay $20 per month left to cancel contract
2. Pay $22 for the moving fee but using Directv ups for another year.
3. If I do not agree with 1. or 2. I need to find a new provider.

I have been with DirecTV for 5 years now and actually like my HR24s.
The rental place has a choice of Dish & Directv (using common dishes) and Uverse and Comcast. I like Directv but am not sure I want to be stuck in another one year contract when I have no idea where we will move to next.

Questions
A Is the one year addition common and strictly enforced or can it be waived at moving?
B If I do take Directv up and then move again in 6 months what will the move cost at that point?
Regards

· Legend
383 Posts
You only get one movers connection every 12 months.... any more than that they charge you ($99 IIRC)

Personally if it where me i would pack up you receivers and install them myself in the rental place. since there is a common dish i would assume that the lines are ran to each unit? If so, then its a matter of screwing in the coax. then once there up and running call D and tell them you moved, everything is hooked up and here is my new address.

then in 6 months (or whenever you move again) you can go from there. You won't be locked into a contract then so if the new place does not work for D you could simply cancel .... but, if it does, then you will have the movers connection to do the new install.

· Registered
6,575 Posts
dpusa said:
2. Pay $22 for the moving fee but using Directv ups for another year.

Questions
A Is the one year addition common and strictly enforced or can it be waived at moving?
That doesn't sound right. The fee is usually there for when they have to come out and install another dish. If the dish is already in place and all you have to do is move receivers, there should be no charge or commitment extension.

Other option you may have is to suspend your account. Call back and talk to them again.

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
I would suspend the account until you get to your final location. The apartment using a common dish probably means it is an MDU account. You won't be able to transfer your account onto that system, but rather will have to set up under the MDU system operator.

You can suspend your account, hold on to your equipment (inactve), then re-activate it when you get to your final location. You will still have your 4 month commitment when you reactivate.

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all... It is one common dish for 4 townhomes if that helps? Does that mean its a MDU? Does that mean I would not be able to just take the boxes with me and start the satelitte setup by myself?

Makes sense on suspending and re-activating thereafter if that does not work.

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All, I just spoke to the townhome community where we will be renting and they said it is a common dish but there is no charge to use the dish and programming cost is handled directly with DirecTV.

Based on the above, would it only take connecting the home up to the MDU coax? Any other considerations?

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
dpusa said:
All, I just spoke to the townhome community where we will be renting and they said it is a common dish but there is no charge to use the dish and programming cost is handled directly with DirecTV.

Based on the above, would it only take connecting the home up to the MDU coax? Any other considerations?
You will need to know how the system is set up and wired. Are they using multiswitches or SWM? How many open ports are available? It is more complicated than just "plugging in". For example, if it is an SWM system, there is a limit on the number of tuners that can be supported. If they have pre-designated an SWM8 to each condo, you should be good. If not, then someone is going to have to sort out the details.

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
carl6 said:
You will need to know how the system is set up and wired. Are they using multiswitches or SWM? How many open ports are available? It is more complicated than just "plugging in". For example, if it is an SWM system, there is a limit on the number of tuners that can be supported. If they have pre-designated an SWM8 to each condo, you should be good. If not, then someone is going to have to sort out the details.
Hmmm thanks... look like I may need to ask Directv out after all :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.