DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weird thing just started happening just recently.

On the page that shows recordings the back arrow does not move the highlight box over.

The top menu Recordings, Schedual, Timets and Trash the back arrow also does not move the highlight over.

On the listing guide. Instead of the guide moving backwards the the back arrow button creates a 5555 number on the screen.

On a playing live programme the back arrow button creates a 555 number on the screen.

On the mini guide on the bottom of the screen the back arrow on the far left box creates a 555 number.

All back arrow key works perfectly using the voice remote control. But I prefer the 40.0 remote better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Your 40.0 remote is sending the digit five rather than a "cursor left". You probably need a new 40.0 remote.

Don't wait until they're no longer available to get a new one.

Something to try: Try removing the batteries for a few minutes and see if you can't get the remote to untangle itself. This shouldn't change any of the programming but it may clear any cobwebs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did this yesterday. Not for a shorter time. Will do this for a longer time.

If this does not work I should be able to locate another.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
40.0 remotes are pretty scarce these days. Walmart and Amazon don't appear to offer them anymore. DISH and Solid Signal list them for $20 and $19.99 respectively.

I too dislike the new style remote and have never unboxed the one that DISH sent me unsolicited.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
The 54.0 remote is nice in my opinion, but I'm not too fond of the voice command feature.
You don't have to use the voice command feature.

The button layout is not as intuitive as it should be.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
I actually do not care for any voice command features.
My Sony TV remote has voice command (Google). It doesn't make the remote any less useful.

My Xfinity Flex box on the other hand has the microphone button located adjacent to the "Back" button and that's a problem.

·
Super Moderator
53,491 Posts
You don't have to use the voice command feature.

The button layout is not as intuitive as it should be.
The backlight helped for the first couple of days I used my 54.1 remote. I like the compact size and after using it for a while I have to look for the right buttons if I pick up the 40.0 remote on my wife's hopper (and the 40.0 is not backlit).

I like the voice function ... it saves a lot of hunt and peck when searching and it has taught me to enunciate. :)

Personal preferences, of course.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
I have large hands so the size criteria is different for me.

I like having a full set of DVR buttons. The dual-purpose/contextual buttons may be well executed (or not) but they require concentration where muscle memory works with a fully-buttoned remote.

In my ideal world, watching TV shouldn't require dexterity or an operational flowchart.

Fortunately, we have choices and both remotes are still available.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
I don’t even see a delete button the voice remote controller. That is one of the bad designs.
I can't say I've ever seen a delete button on any remote control associated with a satellite or cable box, VCR, DVD recorder, TV or DVR.

If you were trying to be funny, the emoji button :) is your friend.

·
Super Moderator
53,491 Posts
My "muscle memory" works well enough that I forget the labeling. :)
I programmed the diamond (bottom left) to be "Stop" and use that when I am done watching a recording.
In the recorded program lists "Recall" provides a one button delete.

It is a credit to DISH that they recognize which remote one is using and changes the on screen prompts accordingly.

On the 40.0 remote I'd occasionally line my thumb up on the wrong circle and get undesired results. But I used it for many years successfully before getting the 54.1 remote so I wouldn't consider either design a failure.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can't say I've ever seen a delete button on any remote control associated with a satellite or cable box, VCR, DVD recorder, TV or DVR.

You are right. But here is a photo showing the delete button.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,982 Posts

TiVo DVR has a CLear button that deletes the selected recording.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts