DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
4,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a sweet new 4K OLED TV, so I figured I'd call D* to check into getting a HR54 and other required equipment. Unfortunately I was quoted $400 for a "upgrade".

I've been with D* since '96 and have the protection plan. The CSR acknowledged that, but said I was out of luck until August.

Back in August, 2016, I got an HR44 to replace a dead HR20-700. I'm guessing that has me in the DirecTV Penalty Box.

Damn, AT&T makes life difficult :(

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
Right, I even believe that it should be August of 2019 since that is when your contract expires, but as we know DIRECTV polices are not written in stone so this may vary depending on how much you push and how much DIRECTV wants to keep you as a customer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
24,395 Posts
Right, I even believe that it should be August of 2019 since that is when your contract expires, but as we know DIRECTV polices are not written in stone so this may vary depending on how much you push and how much DIRECTV wants to keep you as a customer.

Uh, 2018 wouldn't it be if he upgraded in 2016...

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
Uh, 2018 wouldn't it be if he upgraded in 2016...
Yep, mis typed. Oooops!

Perhaps Rich can take note.....

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
This Rich taking note of a misspelled word.

Rich
Glad you took note. Don't want to hear it later.... hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Just got a sweet new 4K OLED TV, so I figured I'd call D* to check into getting a HR54 and other required equipment. Unfortunately I was quoted $400 for a "upgrade".

I've been with D* since '96 and have the protection plan. The CSR acknowledged that, but said I was out of luck until August.

Back in August, 2016, I got an HR44 to replace a dead HR20-700. I'm guessing that has me in the DirecTV Penalty Box.

Wait for the new 4K server... otherwise you'll be stuck for 2 more yrs with the HR54.

· Hall Of Fame
3,817 Posts
I'm due for a "free upgrade" since my HR34 is off contract. I'm going to wait until the HS17 is out on the trucks and the standard Genie install. This way all I have to do is order a 4K mini when I upgrade to 4K.

· Registered
2,550 Posts

Ask for DirecTV retention or AT&T loyalty. You will get nowhere with a regular AT&T csr. It is worth the wait for the HS17.

· Legend
243 Posts
Wow. This sounds cool. I just got my fist 4k TV a few weeks ago after my main big screen died after 9 years. I started checking into 4k options and to upgrade my current HR44-500 to a 54 for only 2 channels wasn't worth it. (I have the protection plan). I may pull the trigger on this later this summer when I know its out.

· Hall Of Fame
4,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm very happy waiting. I got The Masters in 4k from the Masters app. I get Amazon and Netflix in 4k (with some HDR and Dolby Vision). And I've been watching a LOT of YouTube in 4k (including HDR).

Right now, I'm watching some NHL playoff action and the Mets/Phils game. We were going to go to the Phillies game, but chose not to because the 1080i PQ is so good on my professionally calibrated LG OLED

· Icon
1,018 Posts
Sorry but I am totally confused. Will a HS17 be used instead of a HR 54? If not where does it go? Being so tall does not seem like a component device. I'm trying to learn as much as I can for the day I get a 4K.

Changing topic. Will there be a replacement for the HR 44 for those of us using 1080P? Our 44 is with our primary components while the little DTV receiver is in our bedroom.

· Registered
24,395 Posts
Sorry but I am totally confused. Will a HS17 be used instead of a HR 54? If not where does it go? Being so tall does not seem like a component device. I'm trying to learn as much as I can for the day I get a 4K.

Changing topic. Will there be a replacement for the HR 44 for those of us using 1080P? Our 44 is with our primary components while the little DTV receiver is in our bedroom.
The hs17 replaces the hr44 and you use clients at every tv. That is the replacement for the hr44.

The hs17 just has to go in the house. Only the clients need to be at the tv. Think if the hs17 more like a router on your network. It's important but you don't directly mess with it. :)

· Icon
1,018 Posts
So I will be able to upgrade from my HR44 to a HS17 even though I'm only running 1080P?

So a new small client would be where the HR44 is now?

Can the HS17 be placed in the same media cabinet with a client?

Will the current bedroom client remain or is a different small client needed?

Will this be end for my AMN21 and the router used with the HR44?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.