DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Icon
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my bill last night and saw a charge of 470.00 plus tax for a non returned receiver. I had a HR20 that was not picking up HD and called tech support. They decided to send a replacement. The receiver that was failing was an owned receiver. When i called to activate the replacement the CSR said I did not have to return the defective one since it was owned. I even kept it activated so I could finish watching all the shows I had recorded. When I decided to keep it activated I KNEW this was gonna happen. I called and the CSR said I should not have been charged, esp since the receiver was still active on my account. She would have to escalate this by sending an email to the dept that could take the charge off my Bill.

I know others have had this happen. How long did it take to get credit on your account. She told me it could take up to a week, but that seems a bit long to me.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
redram38 said:
I checked my bill last night and saw a charge of 470.00 plus tax for a non returned receiver. I had a HR20 that was not picking up HD and called tech support. They decided to send a replacement. The receiver that was failing was an owned receiver. When i called to activate the replacement the CSR said I did not have to return the defective one since it was owned. I even kept it activated so I could finish watching all the shows I had recorded. When I decided to keep it activated I KNEW this was gonna happen. I called and the CSR said I should not have been charged, esp since the receiver was still active on my account. She would have to escalate this by sending an email to the dept that could take the charge off my Bill.

I know others have had this happen. How long did it take to get credit on your account. She told me it could take up to a week, but that seems a bit long to me.
"Oh Boy", do I know about this.
While you "owned" your first receiver, the replacement needs to have a receiver returned.
I spent 28 hours on the phone over a two week time when I had this problem.
"The best you can do" is to get the replacement added as an "owned" receiver and then send your first one back [IMO].

· Icon
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kept the return lable just in case this happened, I guess I can wait a week and see if I get credit first. I don't really need the receiver, I was just going to finsih watching all the recorded shows and keep it in case it could be fixed, or used in place of an R15 since it can be networked.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Elephanthead said:
Just stuff an old vcr in the box and send it back. heh. Has anyone tried this, write DTV on it with a marker.

I mean what do they do with the boxes that are not supported anymore?
Actually, the HR2x boxes are refurbished and then used as replacement receivers for someone else.

As for putting an old VCR in the box? Uh, yeah :rolleyes: .. Probably a good way to get that $470.00 charged even more quickly .. plus the additional shipping charges that were wasted.

· Icon
643 Posts
Elephanthead said:
Just stuff an old vcr in the box and send it back. heh. Has anyone tried this, write DTV on it with a marker.

I mean what do they do with the boxes that are not supported anymore?
I don't think that's a very good idea! :nono2:

· Hall Of Fame
1,675 Posts
Seems to me the best way to go about something like this then would be to talk D* out of a new DVR in the future, add the new DVR to the account and then deactivate the owned receiver. Then you would only be out the $$$ for the 'new' added receiver?

I just have a huge deal of disregard for this policy, its a fleece of the customers.

If Joe Consumer can call and being a loyal customer for 5 years with no late payments and can get a HD DVR added to his account for free why do they insist on gouging a loyal customer who had a HR die on them?

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
rahlquist said:
Seems to me the best way to go about something like this then would be to talk D* out of a new DVR in the future, add the new DVR to the account and then deactivate the owned receiver. Then you would only be out the $$$ for the 'new' added receiver?

I just have a huge deal of disregard for this policy, its a fleece of the customers.

If Joe Consumer can call and being a loyal customer for 5 years with no late payments and can get a HD DVR added to his account for free why do they insist on gouging a loyal customer who had a HR die on them?
I don't think this is actually the case [gouging].
When a replacement is sent out, a return is needed. One out and one back.
"The downside" of owned receivers is there is no "free replacement".
If the OP wanted to add another receiver, then they can do that, be it a "free" receiver, or one they get at a store.
Using the "replacement" policy isn't the way to do this.
In my 28 hours of phone calls, over my two weeks, I had DirecTV try everything they could since the "replacement" was listed as "owned" on my account, and I saw no reason to return "owned" equipment. They offered to have a installer come out with a new receiver so I could ship "that one" back to DirecTV for "the credit".
When the install was missed/delayed, I was able to get to someone in the installation department and ask if this receiver would also require a "return" and explained how/what had happened and what DirecTV was trying to do for me.
After all of my calls, within about 5 min everything was resolved by "the right person with the right computer access". Delete one install, cancel one non-return charge.
This is what happens when you try to "tweak the system".
If the OP wants another receiver, simply go get one, or order one from DirecTV. Don't try to use the replacement system for something other than what it is for: "replacements" which require a returned receiver.

· Hall Of Fame
1,675 Posts
VOS I agree on 99% of your points, my point is this. If I call D* and they send me a LEASED receiver to replace my OWNED one and I throw the OWNED one in the trash I should not have to pay the $470 replacement fee because I am LEASING the reciever.

Thats just my opinion, wrong though it may be.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,579 Posts
Smuuth said:
I recently replaced an owned HR10-250 that died using the protection plan. I was sent a reconditioned HR20-100 to replace it. There was no return label nor any instructions to return the DVR that was being replaced in the shipping box.
The HR10 is a very special case as it is an obsolete receiver. The HR10 upgrade program does not require return of the receiver. Thanks to some quick-thinking CSRs, faulty HR10s are being replaced under the obsolete receiver policy as opposed to the faulty receiver policy.

On the other hand, receivers sent to replace faulty current model receivers are expected to be accompanied by the return of the faulty receiver whether they are owned or not. It is apparently up to the customer to get the new receiver marked as "owned" (for whatever good it may do you).

· Hall Of Fame
2,050 Posts
redram38 said:
I've had Non-return charges on my bill 3 times. But in each of those cases, the charge was for receivers which I had sent back to DirecTV, but they did not record. (If you send back the receiver, save the FedEx tracking number and proof of delivery.)

The first time, it took about 6 weeks for DirecTV to issue a credit to my bill. They did not reverse the charge to my credit card company (so I was still out the cash), but they issued a credit to my DirecTV account which took a few months to work off.

The second time, it turned off credit card autopay, and it took DirecTV about 3 weeks to credit my account. But then when I turned on credit card autopay, they charged me a late fee (even though my payment wasn't late). It took me about 6 months to get that and the cascading issues resolved.

The third time, I disputed the charge with my credit card company. (Did you know that American Express has a department that does nothing but handle DirecTV billing errors?) The charge was fixed within two weeks.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
rahlquist said:
VOS I agree on 99% of your points, my point is this. If I call D* and they send me a LEASED receiver to replace my OWNED one and I throw the OWNED one in the trash I should not have to pay the $470 replacement fee because I am LEASING the reciever.

Thats just my opinion, wrong though it may be.
Now if you had an "installed" receiver sent out [through the installer supply chain], you wouldn't need to return anything [until "it" had a problem].

· Icon
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am on the protection plan so even if it is owned they have to replace the defective receiver, plus if the CSR had not told me I could keep it, and then activate it so I could watch what was recorded I would have just returned it and made sure they showed the replacement as owned. If they want it back that is fine, the issue is I am told one thing and then they charge me anyway.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.