DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For SD shows that are broadcast in letterbox format, I will use the Crop setting to get rid of the black bars on the top and bottom of my 16:9 tv.

Well, I have had the box for almost a month and that has worked fine. All of the sudden, when I do that, so times it will "zoom" in too much. But if I press play, sometimes that will fix it and it will zoom out more. I'm not sure if it makes sense. Sometimes I can even toggle it back and forth by using the play button and it will go from how it should to be zoomed in. Hopefully it's clear what I'm saying, but maybe I'll take a video with my digicam. It happened on my Mythbusters and Frontline yesterday.

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
I had the same issue a week ago with Battlestar Gallactica. I was waiting to see if it happened again - I've watched two letterboxed shows since (including last night's BSG) without problems. I did receive the latest software update this week - don't know if that is related.

Jay

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jsnable said:
I had the same issue a week ago with Battlestar Gallactica. I was waiting to see if it happened again - I've watched two letterboxed shows since (including last night's BSG) without problems. I did receive the latest software update this week - don't know if that is related.

Jay
I don't have the update, but I just noticed it last couple of days. That's what weird about it.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I've haad this issue with Battlestar Galactica for about a month. I do have the 0xEB upgrade but haven't had a chance to test whether or not it has been fixed.

Best workaround is to switch the HR20 to native and use the TV to zoom the picture.

I will post later when I have had a chance to watch BSG.

EDIT: I have tried it, and it still hasn't been fixed. I've posted information about this in the release notes thread and will also PM Earl Bonovich to make sure that he adds it to the Known Issues portion of the thread.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
It seemed to have always worked this way using the HR20 crop - I usually set it to pillar box, and then let my TV do the cropping/zooming. (The downside of course is that the HR 20 menus are partially hidden).

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Slip Jigs said:
It seemed to have always worked this way using the HR20 crop - I usually set it to pillar box, and then let my TV do the cropping/zooming. (The downside of course is that the HR 20 menus are partially hidden).
It HAS NOT always worked this way. My HR20 just started doing this also. It is very weird. I wonder if the national mpeg4 shutdown the other day has any thing to do with it.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Inkeyes said:
It HAS NOT always worked this way. My HR20 just started doing this also. It is very weird. I wonder if the national mpeg4 shutdown the other day has any thing to do with it.
Nope, I first noticed mine exhibiting this behavior way back in September. It's some formating glitch with the software.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
Inkeyes said:
That's why I said "it seemed", as I have not done indepth experimenting with it! And, I so far only have SD so can't comment on the MPEG4 channels.

·
Legend
148 Posts
I have been having this problem since day one with NFL Ticket. The SD games tune in cropped. But, when the Active junk comes onscreen, it switches to stretched and doesn't switch back. It's clearly a s/w bug in that case.

Anyone know if there is a way to switch off the active sunday ticket junk? I can't stand it.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
laxcoach said:
I have been having this problem since day one with NFL Ticket. The SD games tune in cropped. But, when the Active junk comes onscreen, it switches to stretched and doesn't switch back. It's clearly a s/w bug in that case.

Anyone know if there is a way to switch off the active sunday ticket junk? I can't stand it.
Happens with all of the interactive channels. Press Exit on the remote to exit out of the interactive stuff on the channel. That will get it to stop stretching.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now it hasn't happened since, but I believe the only thing I've watched like that is How It's Made.

I never thought about using the tv's zoom as I put that remote away. Maybe if the bug comes back, I will do that.

·
Legend
148 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Happens with all of the interactive channels. Press Exit on the remote to exit out of the interactive stuff on the channel. That will get it to stop stretching.
Actually, once it gets into stretch because of active, it stays there until I hit the format button. I gave up during football yesterday and switched to stretch.

I've searched up and down for a way to deactivate the interactive features. I want them to go away completely. I'm not interested in hitting the yellow button every time I change channels. No sarcasm here: this is my *only* complaint with the HR20.

·
Legend
159 Posts
mtnagel said:
For SD shows that are broadcast in letterbox format, I will use the Crop setting to get rid of the black bars on the top and bottom of my 16:9 tv.

Well, I have had the box for almost a month and that has worked fine. All of the sudden, when I do that, so times it will "zoom" in too much. But if I press play, sometimes that will fix it and it will zoom out more. I'm not sure if it makes sense. Sometimes I can even toggle it back and forth by using the play button and it will go from how it should to be zoomed in. Hopefully it's clear what I'm saying, but maybe I'll take a video with my digicam. It happened on my Mythbusters and Frontline yesterday.
I experienced the same effect with "Dogfights" on HIST. The zoomed in too much thing you describe seems to be a hybrid of crop and pillarbox making a scrunched up crop mode.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.