DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
1*
10,289 Posts
dpeters11 said:
Me neither. I was expecting maybe a refresh of the 3rd generation, like they did with the 2.
Well, it really is a refresh when you think about it. The new one has the Lightning adapter so it comes into line with the new iPhone and they increased the speed of the wifi adapter. Nothing major when you think about it.

- Merg

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
The Merg said:
Well, it really is a refresh when you think about it. The new one has the Lightning adapter so it comes into line with the new iPhone and they increased the speed of the wifi adapter. Nothing major when you think about it.

- Merg
The new A6X processor is pretty major, to me.. that dwarfts the adapter and wifi/cellular updates.

·
Large Member
4,867 Posts
Yea, I like the mini better. Just wish it had "retina" display. Soon as I saw that one I put my 32GB black iPad 3 VZW up for sale (shameless plug for the for-sale forum post).

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
I don't see the point in the mini at that price point.

IF you mostly (or solely) want to read books... a Kindle is nearly half the price of the cheapest iPad mini still.

IF you want to do more than read books (and yes, I know the Kindle has apps too just not as many)... then I wholeheartedly recommend the full-size iPad instead.

I just don't see the market for a Kindle-sized device at nearly twice the price.

For the money, you might as well get a full size iPad instead... otherwise get a Kindle.

Or am I missing something?

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
"dennisj00" said:
You may do better on Gazelle or Amazon. . . I just sold our iPhone4s for $165 each.
My offer was $185 for a 32 gb wifi ipad2. Much easier to do that to get a new phone at $200 than still pay another $300+ for an iPad. I'll wait until they stop releasing iOS versions.

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,541 Posts
Stewart Vernon said:
I don't see the point in the mini at that price point.
<< Snipped bits out >>

Or am I missing something?
Maybe, maybe not. I'd put pretty good money on Apple's marketing expertise, though.

·
Godfather
331 Posts
I was on the iPad mini bandwagon for sure. The size was what I hoped the original iPad would be. However, the lack of an anti-glare screen like the one on the iPhone 5 could be a deal breaker for me. I've been considering getting the Kindle Paperwhite instead. I love my iPad 2, but it's just too big for me to hold comfortably and read for any length of time...

·
Large Member
4,867 Posts
dennisj00 said:
You may do better on Gazelle or Amazon. . . I just sold our iPhone4s for $165 each.
$165! Yikes. I'd have bought one for that price. Gazelle is crazy low but they do give cash where Amazon is MUCH higher but you only get Amazon credit which isn't horrible but I'd prefer cash. Amazon offer is $580 for an iPad 3 32 gig Verizon which really is quite good vs under $300 (edited from $350) from Gazelle and the chances they find something wrong with it and reduce the payment is quite high as that seems to be their "modus operandi". The $350 was for "virtually new" condition.

·
15,541 Posts
I thought I heard a statement that the mini's screen was 75% less glaring (glareful??) than the iPad2, due to it being laminated to the display. But I wasn't paying full attention to the presentation, which certainly dragged in parts.

·
15,541 Posts
trdrjeff said:
So Ipad 3rd Gen is discontinued while the iPad 2 is still going to be available? Really odd
If you're gathering that from my post, it ain't so! A few references were made to the '2, comparing screens and resolution, but I didn't hear them say the '2 was going to be offered. OTOH, I didn't hear them say it wasn't. ....:eek2:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,218 Posts
"Laxguy" said:
If you're gathering that from my post, it ain't so! A few references were made to the '2, comparing screens and resolution, but I didn't hear them say the '2 was going to be offered. OTOH, I didn't hear them say it wasn't. ....:eek2:
The Apple website only shows the iPad2 , iPad Mini, & the iPad with Retina Display (iPad 4) available.

·
15,541 Posts
Justin23 said:
The Apple website only shows the iPad2 , iPad Mini, & the iPad with Retina Display (iPad 4) available.
Confusing, as the "iPad", (3-ish) the one I got months ago, is also a retina display....

·
Godfather
331 Posts
Laxguy said:
I thought I heard a statement that the mini's screen was 75% less glaring (glareful??) than the iPad2, due to it being laminated to the display. But I wasn't paying full attention to the presentation, which certainly dragged in parts.
I wasn't able to give it my full attention either. Someone came to the door at the worst possible moment. If that's the case, I'm on it. I'll have to watch the presentation again on my Apple TV! Thanks a bunch! You've made me feel hopeful. <g>

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.