DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· AllStar
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my 5 LMB dish installed today and when the installer was done he checked Fox cause the Lions were losing in HD and it looked great so he left. I thought everything was fine until my wife and I watched Desperate Housewives on ABC and the channel occasionally became distorted like is was loosing a signal due to heavy rain. It's not raining but it is lightly snowing but it's fluffy and not sticking to my dish. All my other non local channels are not distorting, only my new local ones in HD, well CBS and ABC, not sure about Fox, haven't watched Fox since the Loins lost earlier. What can I do? Do I have an installer come back out. The signal strength is strong on both tuners. I don't really understand that other signal strength checker with all the numbers across the board but on the first 3 rows the middle numbers were in the 50s. All others were 90s. Any clues?

· AllStar
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is Satellite 99 deg
1 -8 31 3 42 95 34 37 N/A N/A
9-16 All N/A
17-24 All N/A
25-32 All N/A

This is 103 deg
1-8 95 0 90 60 86 71 N/A N/A
9-16 All N/A
17-24 All N/A
25-32 All N/A

· Godfather
440 Posts
Johnboat said:
This is Satellite 99 deg
1 -8 31 3 42 95 34 37 N/A N/A
9-16 All N/A
17-24 All N/A
25-32 All N/A

This is 103 deg
1-8 95 0 90 60 86 71 N/A N/A
9-16 All N/A
17-24 All N/A
25-32 All N/A
Looks like the dish needs to definitely be aligned better to the 99 sat...

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
bobojay said:
Looks like the dish needs to definitely be aligned better to the 99 sat...
Actually this is consistent with his being aligned with a couple of spotbeams and nearly aligned with his neighboring spotbeams. That leaves me at a loss, since he already looks good.

Cheers,
Tom

· DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
You have to remember that DirecTV retransmits the signal they receive from your local station via OTA. So, dependent upon where they are picking up the FOX signal, that could also be the cause.

· AllStar
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what do you think then. Should I have D* come out and re-align it?

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,573 Posts
Johnboat said:
So what do you think then. Should I have D* come out and re-align it?
You need to ask DirecTV what they think about your signal readings. As you have three transponders at 90 or better, you may be fine.

Has anyone found a reliable source of information about the 99 and 103 spotbeams?

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
harsh said:
Has anyone found a reliable source of information about the 99 and 103 spotbeams?
Alas, not me.

Cheers,
Tom

· Registered
5,530 Posts
Your HD locals come from EITHER the 99 or 103 satellite. Looking at your numbers your locals are either 99 transponder 4 or 103 transponders 1 and/or 4. The other transponder readings you see are from spot beams from other cities. Lyngsat has a chart showing which channels come from 99 and which ones come from 103, but not which channels go with which transponders. And the chart is not current with all the new HD locals which have started up recently..

· AllStar
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2 Question. First of all I didn't have those upscaler things on my lines. I added those and so far the HD picture on locals looks much better. I haven't had time to see if there was distortion or not, but with out the upscaler could that had been the problem?

Second, what are spot beams?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.