DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering adding another HD DVR to my house. I currently have a HR10-250 with an OTA and triple LNB dish. I do not want another HR10-250. So I will get a HR20.

My question is: Do I need to have a new 5LNB dish installed now? I will not use the HR20 for HD locals (not in a market with them anyway, Baltimore) and I prefer OTA. I realize I will have to wait for OTA inputs to be activated. So with not having any immediate need for mpeg4, can I just leave the triple LNB dish? I am not looking forward to a DTV tech messing with any of my setup. Last time I had to hire someone to come after and fix the mess they left.

I have a feeling the answer is NO, but I thought I would check.

· Banned
1,614 Posts
You can use the HR20 with a triple LNB dish(no HD locals). I used mine with my single LNB dish(no HD locals or HD anything) the first week I had until I got the 5LNB dish mounted.

189 Posts
I believe glennb is right.
You don't need the 5LNB dish as long as you don't need the mpeg 4 locals.

· Godfather
440 Posts
You can use any D* dish with the HR20. You won't get any HD with the single LNB, no HD locals with the 3 LNB. Minimum 2 inputs, (cables from dish), needed to be able to use both tuners on the HR20. Just like the HR10-250 TiVo, or previous D* DVR's.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
The only thing I would be concerned about is possible future use of the new sats. If you got the AT9 now, you would be ready, whatever the use for them.

Might be tougher to get the AT9, free, later.

· Founder
17,247 Posts
paulman182 said:
The only thing I would be concerned about is possible future use of the new sats. If you got the AT9 now, you would be ready, whatever the use for them.

Might be tougher to get the AT9, free, later.
I tend to agree with this. Doesn't hurt to get it now for free.

As others have said, yes, the HR20 works fine with the 3 LNB dish.

· Legend
183 Posts
Chris Blount said:
I tend to agree with this. Doesn't hurt to get it now for free.

As others have said, yes, the HR20 works fine with the 3 LNB dish.
Ok, stupid question, how do I get an AT9 dish for free (with install)? I've been waiting for the Slimline dish, but don't know when it's coming.

· Beer Aficionado
1,469 Posts
Rob55 said:
Ok, stupid question, how do I get an AT9 dish for free (with install)? I've been waiting for the Slimline dish, but don't know when it's coming.
If you are getting an HR20 installed they will install the AT9 or Slimline with it in preparation for the future.

My situation was unique in that I got an HR20 as a replacement for a faulty HR10. It was a direct ship from D* with no installer involved, so I still have the Phase III dish. This past weekend I had a second R15 installed and before the install I tried to talk D* into installing one of the 5 LNB dishes since the installer was going to be there anyway and we are getting HD locals later this year (supposedly). The level 2 CSR I was talking to said she could not do it. She said I either had to have HD locals available already or I had to be getting some type of HD equipment installed. I was just trying to save them money (and get the latest and greatest equipment), but now they'll have to pay an installer again to come out and install one of the 5 LNB dishes when they turn HD locals on here later this year. Their loss I guess.

· Legend
183 Posts
Mike Huss said:
If you are getting an HR20 installed they will install the AT9 or Slimline with it in preparation for the future.
I picked up my HR20 at BB last month and am currently using it with my 3LNB dish. So unfortunately, I'm not waiting for an install. Is there a way to still get one for free?

· Founder
17,247 Posts
I already had my HR20. When I gave them a call inquiring about the AT9, they said they would install it for free, however, I do have local HD channels available. Don't know if that made a difference or not.

· Beer Aficionado
1,469 Posts
Rob55 said:
I picked up my HR20 at BB last month and am currently using it with my 3LNB dish. So unfortunately, I'm not waiting for an install. Is there a way to still get one for free?
You will get it for free if and or when HD locals are available. Are your locals on the list for the upcoming rollout? I would think northern Jersey would already be turned on?

· Legend
183 Posts
Mike Huss said:
You will get it for free if and or when HD locals are available. Are your locals on the list for the upcoming rollout? I would think northern Jersey would already be turned on?
As far as I know, we've had MPEG-4 HD locals available for a while now. I currently get my locals from the NY MPEG-2 HD channels (80-88). Should I call the regular DTV number or is there another number I should try?

· Beer Aficionado
1,469 Posts
Rob55 said:
As far as I know, we've had MPEG-4 HD locals available for a while now. I currently get my locals from the NY MPEG-2 HD channels (80-88). Should I call the regular DTV number or is there another number I should try?
I may be an a$$ for doing it but I never call the regular number anymore. I always call level 2/retention direct. 800-824-9081. That's who I'd recommend as they'll know what you are talking about right away.

2 Posts
I was told by Direct TV that I could not get any HD content with the 3lbn dish.
I get Showtime in HD now but nothing else.
I have an installer coming on 11-11-06.
Two questions.

1 Can I get other Chanel's in HD with LNB3 dish?
2 Shouldn't I still get locals in non HD? Currently don't.

Thanks for any help.

· DBSTalk Club Member
584 Posts
kevin4602 said:
Two questions.

Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE

Yes you can get the other HD channels with the 3LNB dish (I had that) - you can not get HD locals without the AT9 dish - nor any local sports that are broadcast in HD.

You also will not get any of the new channels coming when D* launches their new sats next year.

You will not be able to get any OTA signals with the HR-20 right now - that feature is turned off presently - (currently I use the turner on my TV for that - but seldom use OTA now that I have my HD locals on D*)

· Registered
1,210 Posts
kevin4602 said:
Two questions.

Thanks for any help.
All current National HD is available using the 3LNB dish. This includes ESPN, ESPN2, HD Net, HD Net Movies, TNT HD, Universal HD, Discovery HD as well as HBO and Showtime if you subscribe to them.

Most SD locals can be received using the 3LNB dish but depending on location you may need another dish to receive them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.