DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Mentor
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last couple of days the wife and I have noticed that our HD channels keep getting pixelated. At first I just thought it was cloud cover, been raining and windy quit a bit lately but then the other day it was crystal clear outside and the same thing was happening. So I then decided to go outside and check up on things with the dish itself only to notice that the dish itself practically spun on the post that Directv installed. I removed the dish and wrapped some electrical tape around the top of the post and when I tightned it down it would not budge. My question is, I need to fine tune the dish now (roughly getting a reading of 80% on the 101, 110 and 119) but I'm not sure which satellite I should start with first, 101, 110 or the 119. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

· Icon
609 Posts
Whoa, that's a problem. Well it looks like you've got it course adjusted, now all you need to do is the fine adjustment. Start with 101, loosen the elevation screws and use a 1/2 inch nut driver and turn the elevation fine adjustment screw to peak. Then do the same with the fine azimuth screw.

Now switch to the 119 signal and adjust the tilt to peak 119 and lock it down.

Now the fun. Switch back to 101 signal meter. Use a nut drive on the fine elevation screw and turn it Counter-Clockwise and jot-down to signal meter reading. Now Turn the screw clockwise until the meter goes up past the peak and back down to the same reading. Count how many turns exactly with fraction of turns and divide that number in half. Now turn the screw counter-clockwise by that number of turns. Do the same for azimuth and you will be peaked. Make sure you check your 99 and 103 sat strengths.

Good luck.

187 Posts
Tom_S said:
Whoa, that's a problem. Well it looks like you've got it course adjusted, now all you need to do is the fine adjustment. Start with 101, loosen the elevation screws and use a 1/2 inch nut driver and turn the elevation fine adjustment screw to peak. Then do the same with the fine azimuth screw.

Now switch to the 119 signal and adjust the tilt to peak 119 and lock it down.

Now the fun. Switch back to 101 signal meter. Use a nut drive on the fine elevation screw and turn it Counter-Clockwise and jot-down to signal meter reading. Now Turn the screw clockwise until the meter goes up past the peak and back down to the same reading. Count how many turns exactly with fraction of turns and divide that number in half. Now turn the screw counter-clockwise by that number of turns. Do the same for azimuth and you will be peaked. Make sure you check your 99 and 103 sat strengths. Good luck.
I may end up figure out, that maybe I can use those MPEG 2 WITH THE OLD DirecTV dish to lock onto 99w. I don't believe 103. Other wise I need to wait until is see, if product is available before I consider a 5lnb setup. Hard to say.. Your advise.. Other wise, I may damage MPEG 4, with OLD MPEG 2 GOODS. I be better off up grading to a 5lnb..

· Icon
609 Posts
You cannot use the old Dish for 99 or 103 sat positions. Ka only, old dish id Ku. New sats are going up in the spring, go for the 5lnb setup.

· Legend
226 Posts
LA Push: what? you are better of calling D* and getting a tech to R/A dish for you. Most likely they will not charge you for this service call, particularly if it has been <90 days since the ka/ku dish was installed.

187 Posts
hombresoto said:
LA Push: what? you are better of calling D* and getting a tech to R/A dish for you. Most likely they will not charge you for this service call, particularly if it has been <90 days since the ka/ku dish was installed.
yea, I will call d*, only if hd locals appear either on 99 or 103. pending on spotbeam and many there able to uplink. I would think only three LNB would do. If Bakersfield is on 103 w.l. for hd, then I might not need to do that. By the way it 102.8 w.l. with one directv satellite.

· blah blah blah
2,548 Posts
I e-mailed DirecTV this last Wed, complained about how an installer had left cables laying on top of the ground, and did not provide for a system ground. They phoned me back 2 days later, and scheduled a guy to come out and make it right. I was pretty surprised, but it appears they will come out and work with you if you complain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.