DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installer just left and installed the 5 lnb dish on the side of the house, after I repeatedly asked to be put on roof, where the older DirectTV was located. Installer claims no signal and new 5 lnb dish is too heavy. Of course the installer, hardly speaks da english. Partly my fault, but the install guys are coming out again to do another site survey.

Is there a problem mounting the 5 lnb on a roof? As the tech claims ? He was whinning that the dish weighs 35lbs. Any comments appreciated.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
If you repeatedly asked him to put it on the roof when he went to start mounting it on the side of the house you should have started tapping on his head and said - Hello McFly !! Is anybody home ? I said mount it on the roof !! If that didn't work I would have told him to make like a tree and leave.

Mine is on my roof. No big deal. Make sure they mount the bracket to a stud on the roof rather than just screw some screw thru the thin roofing boards.

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
glennb said:
If you repeatedly asked him to put it on the roof when he went to start mounting it on the side of the house you should have started tapping on his head and said - Hello McFly !! Is anybody home ? I said mount it on the roof !! If that didn't work I would have told him to make like a tree and leave.

Mine is on my roof. No big deal. Make sure they mount the bracket to a stud on the roof rather than just screw some screw thru the thin roofing boards.
I admit it, yea, I was distracted with something else. OK, sounds like it can be mounted on roof, good.

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While I'm at it. Once the local channel update is pushed thru, will I be able to get the sub channels, not sure what they are called, in DFW, WFAA is Channel 8 and they have 8-1 and 8-2.

·
Banned
614 Posts
hjplano said:
Installer just left and installed the 5 lnb dish on the side of the house, after I repeatedly asked to be put on roof, where the older DirectTV was located. Installer claims no signal and new 5 lnb dish is too heavy. Of course the installer, hardly speaks da english. Partly my fault, but the install guys are coming out again to do another site survey.

Is there a problem mounting the 5 lnb on a roof? As the tech claims ? He was whinning that the dish weighs 35lbs. Any comments appreciated.
If your roof is in good condition, with no defects... it should be Okay. The installer should take an interest in your concerns and atleast listen to you. When I had my AT-9 installed June 6, the only good location for best signal was on my roof so that's where he put it.

Sorry it appears you had an installer who is set in his ways...

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I would have beat him to death if he put it where I didn't want it...

·
Banned
614 Posts
houskamp said:
I would have beat him to death if he put it where I didn't want it...
If you attack an installer, they will wind up suing you, and your homeowners policy... so if you find an installer not respecting your wishes, tell them to hit the road, but don't put your hands on them.

·
AllStar
74 Posts
hjplano said:
While I'm at it. Once the local channel update is pushed thru, will I be able to get the sub channels, not sure what they are called, in DFW, WFAA is Channel 8 and they have 8-1 and 8-2.
Should be able to if you have an antenna hooked up that can pick up the signal.

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't want to get sued, although there certainly was a language problem. I'm certain the next installer can put the dish where I want--on roof (out of sight!).

My main concern now is my ability to get the 8-1, 8-2 local weather/news channels. I have a OTA antenna on the old DTV dish, that 'T' shaped one. So I can request to keep that T antenna and get the 4-1, 5-1, 8-1 and so on? Using the new HR20 ? I find those channels helpful especially during rough weather.

·
Super Moderator
12,863 Posts
The HR20 does not currently tune over the air stations, but will at some (as yet to be determined) future time. When it has OTA enabled, you will be able to get the -1 stations if you are within receiving range of the tower. They will not come by satellite.

If your television has a built in ATSC tuner, you can simply connect an antenna to that and tune the -1 stations directly.

Carl

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I actually would prefer my dish on the side of the house, down low so I can brush off snow, but mine is now on the roof, out of sight from my front yard for the WAF. ;)

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
Is the new dish working OK mounted on the side of your house? If it's working OK you might be best off leaving it where it is. Height doesn't matter as long as the dish has a clear shot at the various satellites. And it's risky having an inexperienced drilling holes through your roof.

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is it working fine, why yes it is. but the location is a less then desirable, there is a last generation dish up on roof now, i'd like that to be replaced with this new dish. As for snow, in north Texas, burrrrr, we don't see much snow!

Once I get this fixed I'll be happy, first impressions of the HR20 is its pretty darn good. Thanks for all the responses!

·
Legend
179 Posts
litzdog911 said:
And it's risky having an inexperienced drilling holes through your roof.
I agree. the guys that installed my Phase III dish sealed all the holes. :)
The guy that installed my AT-9 did not. I had to remove each screw and put silicone on them.:nono2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.