DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a current AT50 subscriber and am thinking about Dish's upgrade to AT150 deal where I pay $199 for a 501, get a Dish 500 upgrade.

So... what do you fine folks think of the odds that Dish will continue the 'technology upgrade' with the 508 (after they run out of 501's)?

Thanks

· Godfather/Supporter
281 Posts
I think that the only difference between 501 and 508 would be the hard drive capacity. 508 will be 30 hours of recording time more than on 501. If you really need 30 more hours, then go with 508. If you don't need that much space then buy 501. I never use more than 20 hours on my 501. Or another option would be to save some $ to buy 721.

Forgot to mention that the price difference between 508/501 will be about $100. And 721 costs $549.

· Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Welcome to DBSTalk uxu......:hi:

Mityaoo1 pretty much summed it up about the 501/508.
Sometimes I wish I had a little bit bigger storage capacity, I usually have around 20 hrs. of programming recorded on mine as well at any given time.

With the last software upgrade from Dish, the 501 has turned out to be a sweet little PVR. :)

· Icon
643 Posts
I find that the best situation is to have 2 501s. (If saving the $100 would make that possible, then all the better.)

Two 501s allows two people to watch two different programs at once, and allows recording two different programs at once.

Even better it allows you to record really important shows (like a series finale or playoff game) on two different 501s, so that if something happens to one box (eg hard drive error), then you still have a copy of the show to view. (Even better would be to record on a different channel at a different time, in case of "breaking news" :( or a rain fade event.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.