DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only had my 501 for a couple weeks, and I have a couple questions.

First, while playing back an event, which button do you push to see info such as time elapsed/time remaining? The Info button only shows you what it is about. View (which worked on my old 5000) stops the playback.

Second, I use a JVC receiver to control my sound. I have gotten the remote to work with it as Aux, but I must switch to Aux to control the volume. If I'm in Sat mode and try to use the volume, it turns the TV volume up/down. Is there a way to change this? TIA

I really love this thing!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick answer to your 1st question - there is no time elapsed/time remaining counter with the 501. If you press REW or FF, a bar will appear giving you an approximate graph of where you are in the recording. A time counter has been on my wishlist for the 501 since the beginning, but alas, it's not there yet.

As for the remote, I'll have to dig up my manual. I think there may be a way to set up a volume punch through, but I'm not sure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for answering so quickly. So, if I am playing back a show, I cannot hit any button which will tell me how much time is left on that show? That really bites. Thanks again!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a way to get time left. Hit Stop and then Play buttons. Your top info screen will be updated.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey cfogus , I know exactly what you mean, mine works the same way with a Sony receiver, I posted that question once at another forum, no one seemed to think the 501 remote would do that.
I haven't really played with the remote trying to get that to work since then.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To set up the remote to control the volume of a tuner or amplifier instead of the volume of a TV, do the following:

1. Press and hold the AUX button for three seconds, and then release it.

2. Press the POUND(#) button.

3. Press the plus (+) side of VOLUME button.

4. Press the 0 number button.

5. Press the POUND(#) button.
The AUX mode button backlight flashes three times.

This is from page 22 of the remote manual.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That worked like a charm! Thank you very much! I must have either misplaced the manual for the remote, or I did not get one. I can only find the manual for the 501. Thanks again!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you n0qcu, Can't wait to try it !! :)

When Dish done my install, I had to go back to the local retailer and ask for all the cables, manuals, and even the UHF antenna, the installer took everything. I still don't really know if I got everything. :mad:

When mark made the comment that he would take a look in his remote manual.....I thought to myself.....what remote manual ?? :(

I had to program mine from that Dish Help Channel and then it didn't tell ya much about what the remote would really do.

Hey cfogus, Im going to go take a look later on today at Dishes website, maybe there is a remote manual online?

Thanks again n0qcu. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for looking that up, n0qcu. To be honest, I spaced it out last night...had to watch too much HD programming. :)

Mike - I'm not following what you mean when you say the top banner will be updated. Are you talking about the browse banner that comes up when you start a pvr event? If so, that displays the time left in a recorded event? Huh...never noticed that before and I've had mine since day 1. I'll have to check it out tonight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mark:

I meant transparent banner you get when you hit Cancel button.

Every time you stop recorded show and jump to the show description screen, 'Time Left' below description will show correct time. After resuming the show the same time will show up in the top banner. Unfortunately, it will stay the same until you stop and resume again.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a link to Dish Networks website for the Universal Remote, didn't see the 501 UHF remote there. :(
Universal Remote Manual
I might call Dish Network and see if I can get a 501 UHF remote manual sent to me.
Hey cfogus, we could just come back to DBSTalk and let mark and n0qcu look in their manual for us. ;)

·
9 Posts
Another problem is that once you have successfully turned the receiver on, it might have a different source, say MD or DVD, there is no way that I can switch the receiver to the TV/SAT mode without its own remote or walking across the room... this blows!! :-(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.