DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Legend
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom and sister have both been looking into getting a dish. My mom is sick of cable and my sister just moved into her new house and only has rabbit ears. So this afternoon they came over and I tried to sell them on Dish Network, singing the praises of the 522 DVR that I have. Neither one of them saw "Lost" last week and I had it recorded, so we decided to watch it as a way to demonstrate the 522.

Halfway through the show the picture freezes and the box decided it wanted to shut down and reboot for some reason. A rare glitch, I explain. Nothing that will happen to them. After it reboots and we restart Lost and get to the last commercial break. I push Skip FWD a few times, and find myself back at the beginning of Lost! So I try to fast forward 300X, and it pauses instead! I try to skip FWD, but after pushing it 40 or so times it again just goes back to the beginning. So they never did get to see the end of the episode and needless to say they won't become Dish Network customers anytime soon. So much for those club dish cards I have!

I called Dish about this and got the usual line of "We are working on a fix, we ask that you bear with us" crap. I'm gonna call tomorrow and demand they send a new one, since the DVR is essentially useless now.

·
Banned
989 Posts
Ever since the newest firmware update, my 522 has been absolutely horrible. The video jumping and audio blips (which I thought they had fixed way back in...2004?) are back and worse than ever. I also have problems with the video freezing. Tonight, I had the problem where fast forward suddenly became a pause button. It wouldn't budge at any speed so I had to hit the 30-second skip button to move forward. I'm really starting to get tired of the "updates" that break my receiver. However, I have not yet lost any recordings.

Of course, turning off my distant network channel without telling me cost me some recordings because they didn't bother to tell me ahead of time that they were turning it off. I wasn't home so the timers set for that channel did not record.

·
Legend
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so it's not just mine. Not sure if it makes me feel better or not. If it was just mine I could demand a new one. Since it's everyone, well at least I know I didn't inadvertently break it myself pushing the wrong button somewhere.

I'll give them till Friday to fix it. If not I will...call them...again. Yeah, that'll show em!

·
Cool Member
17 Posts
I have been having trouble with my 522 this weekend, but I am calling today to upgrade to a 622 so I really do not care, but for the record mine keeps rebooting when the channel is changed on TV2.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
chaddux said:
Of course, turning off my distant network channel without telling me cost me some recordings because they didn't bother to tell me ahead of time that they were turning it off. I wasn't home so the timers set for that channel did not record.
I'm curious if the distant timers still appear in the Timers list - that would help to recreate them on a local channel. I'm assuming they don't appear on the Daily Schedule with some reason for not recording.

·
Banned
989 Posts
CABill said:
I'm curious if the distant timers still appear in the Timers list - that would help to recreate them on a local channel. I'm assuming they don't appear on the Daily Schedule with some reason for not recording.
They are still listed if you pull up timers. They do NOT show up in the daily schedule (since your receiver has no EPG info for that channel because the channel is hidden to you after being turned off).

·
Hall Of Fame
2,429 Posts
I've had problems lately with my "skip foward" button. I've had it happen three or four times in the last couple of weeks at about the half-way point through a show i'll be skipping foward through the commercials and all the sudden i'm at the beginning of the recording again starting all over. And this on a machine that's been rock solid w/ no probs since Jan of 2004.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.