DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
AllStar
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all! I have an odd issue with my 522 DVR. I watch a lot of hockey (I have the center ice package) and quite often I use my XM radio to listen to the play-by-play (the radio announcers are usually far better than the tv guys). My problem is that the XM radio is about 3-4 seconds behind live TV. So I figure, I'll hit pause button, then immediately hit play and sync up the delayed radio w/the game on the DVR. No such luck! Whenever I get within about 4-5 sec of "live tv," the DVR either pauses for a couple of seconds then starts playing (resulting in playback being off by 3-4 sec from the radio) or it goes to live tv. I'm going crazy here! Am I missing something? I've tried setting an event timer, recording, updating, etc. Am I just spinning my wheels here and hoping for something that isn't possible?

Thanks in advance!!!!

·
Legend
141 Posts
hockeyinsd said:
Hi there all! I have an odd issue with my 522 DVR. I watch a lot of hockey (I have the center ice package) and quite often I use my XM radio to listen to the play-by-play (the radio announcers are usually far better than the tv guys). My problem is that the XM radio is about 3-4 seconds behind live TV. So I figure, I'll hit pause button, then immediately hit play and sync up the delayed radio w/the game on the DVR. No such luck! Whenever I get within about 4-5 sec of "live tv," the DVR either pauses for a couple of seconds then starts playing (resulting in playback being off by 3-4 sec from the radio) or it goes to live tv. I'm going crazy here! Am I missing something? I've tried setting an event timer, recording, updating, etc. Am I just spinning my wheels here and hoping for something that isn't possible?

Thanks in advance!!!!
My 501s, 510 don't like to be forced into a delay of 3-4 secs either. They bounce right back to live. They seem to want a minimum of about 10 to 30 secs for delay.

As to the difference, it is probably becuase of the time difference for the signal to reach XM satellites and bounce back down and the signal to do the same with Dish satellites. Dish and XM satellites are at different attitudes and XM's are actually moving where Dish are stationary.

I know when talking to a friend via landline that actually lives in the town where my so-called locals originate, I can hear a noticible time lag from my friend watching live TV and my watching on satellite.

That is also why satellite internet is not recommended for day traders or live game players or anyone else needing to have quicker response becuase the time lag could really effect the outcomes of what they are doing.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
A good test is to hookup an old TV with rabbit ear antenna and tune a local station and then also tune that same local station on your Dish receiver hooked to another tv.
You will generally see a noticeable delay from the tv to the tv with Dish.
Like manicd said, this is mostly from the delay caused by the uplink/downlink to and from the satellites which are about 23,500 miles away.
This makes for a 46,000 mile trip best case.
Factor in the decoding algorithms needed to make sure you are authorized for the channel and it can easily get into seconds instead of milliseconds.

Not much you can do about it either. Radio waves move at about the same speed as light and we have not yet discovered how to speed that up!

·
8 Posts
Start recording your hockey channel 3 minutes early, pause when the game starts, play when the XM audio starts...Jack

Edit, I just realized why my idea wont work.

·
Godfather
344 Posts
I dont think you can keep the timing right.. I have noticed when watching a show and I paused it for about 20 sec. When I let it play in about 30 mins it caught up with live TV. THe recorded programs seem to play just a little faster.

·
AllStar
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! Seems like it isn't possible with my current setup. Looks like my next XM receiver will be one that has a playback buffer. That should fix everything!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.