DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Godfather
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Earl (Chicago) and those of you getting walloped with snow...let us know how the 5LNB dish, either AT9 or Slimline, performs in the snow today. Will it be a snow catcher (my Phase III sure was) or will it be perform well.

Let us know when you guys are done shovelling the walk... :D

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Yes that will be very interesting to find out.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I live about 50 miles southeast of St. Louis and we had a little ice last night. I have the AT9 dish and no problems. My brother in law has a phase III dish and he had problems. We could not watch the NFL HD game last night on channel 95 because we could not get a signal. So I am happy with it. I would be interested to hear how other people with the AT9 dish did, that got more snow and ice.

·
Legend
179 Posts
We had heavy snow Tue night through Wed morning and I had no issues. When I went out Wed morning to check the dish it only had snow on the LNB arm.

·
Godfather
262 Posts
No issues here, western burbs of Chicago w/ AT9...face of dish is pretty pasted w/ snow and it was a virtual whiteout at times and somehow it fired though.

I figured I would have problems. If the AT9 can handle this storm, I have no doubts it will handle all the others we could possibly get in Chicago.

This one had rain, ice, 45 mph, heavy/wet snow.

I do, intend, however to brush off the dish today when it lets up.

Overall, thumbs up to the AT9 (so far)...

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
My signals on 99 went pretty much out and 103 went low but 101, 110 and 119 stayed up above 50 during the freezing rain and sleet. I know I need to peak my dish because the installer didn't do it right. But other then that, pretty typical for me in this type of weather. About a quarter inch of ice on the dish and LNB's plus some sleet and still have a signal. I'll brush it off when I get home though. One of the main advantages of having it on a pole next to my driveway. I can clean it off, reaim anytime real easily.

·
Godfather
554 Posts
I live just west of chicago freezing rain /sleet last night high winds and heavy snowfall today, I have AT9 dish up on roof ,two story house no loss of signal,there is snow on dish and no way in hell am I going up there to brush it off, signal great.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
A few days ago it was snowing here and 110 and 119 went away completely. The local HD on 99 was fine (my H20 doesn't indicate signal strength). Some transponders on 101 went away completely and others had lower strength and increased freezing and pixelization. It all recovered in a half hour.

·
AllStar
51 Posts
I posted my experiences w/ the AT9 in the non HD DVD forum, mine dropped almost 15-20 pts as I am just outside of St. Louis, MO and got about 3 inches of sleet and a few inches on snow and my LNBs had icicles hanging off them big time which I've removed with warm water and have brushed off the dish. However I do not know what the best and safest removal of sleet and snow there is.

·
AllStar
65 Posts
About 10-12 in. of snow here, and when it finally stopped this morning, I had several inches accumulated on the AT9. Readings on sats 110 & 119 were mostly around 50, and those channels were doing fine. Everything was zero on sats 99, 103, & 110. After a dish cleanoff all readings are back to normal.

·
Legend
115 Posts
We had 1 inch of ice, and 10 inches of snow on top of that, never lost any signals and no pixilation or freezes either. Performed 100% of the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.