DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Legend
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently using an HR20 and 2 HR10s with 2 3LNB dishes (long story for another time).

I have seen several issues lately regarding the 5LNB dishes and am wondering what problems I'm going to have when I decide to try the new dish.

Some Questions.

How many types of 5LNB issues are there? (I've seen AT-9, AU-9, Slimline -- are these all different?)

How do these compare in size and weight to the 3LNB?

If I have D* do the upgrade, should I request a particular dish?

Can I use my existing mounts for the new dish?
(My existing mounts screw into wood siding on the side of the house.)

If I need new mounts, can these mounts replace the old ones on the side of the house?

If D* does the upgrade, what will they charge?

·
Super Moderator
12,887 Posts
You may not need to replace all dishes, it depends on where you are going to put MPEG4 equipment. You will only need the 5-LNB dish to feed MPEG4 HD receivers/DVRs.

There are two types of dish, AT9 and AU9 (also called slimline).

Both are larger and heavier than the 3-LNB. The AT9 is the heaviest.

You'll get whatever dish the installer happens to have available.

Existing mounts will not work. The mast diameter is different.

New mounts have a larger footprint and bolt holes are in different locations. Also, you have to hit a stud, not just siding.

You'll have to ask D* about cost.

Carl

·
Legend
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
carl6 said:
You may not need to replace all dishes, it depends on where you are going to put MPEG4 equipment. You will only need the 5-LNB dish to feed MPEG4 HD receivers/DVRs.

Carl
Thanks, Carl. That helps a lot.

Right now, I could replace just one dish. But if I wanted to upgrade one of my HR10s to a second HR20, I would need to either upgrade the second dish or put a multiswitch on the new 5LNB. Unless...

Supoose I connect one satellite input on an HR20 to a 5LNB dish and the second satellite input to a 3LNB Dish. Would the HR20 know what channels were available on which inputs and switch tuners appropriately when necessary?

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Chances are that D* will install the 5-LNB dish and a Zinwell WB68 multiswitch for free when you upgrade, and you'll have 8 outputs.

That is the normal scenario.

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
Bad Rex said:
Best Buy. Early September. They ordered it and it came in about a week.
That should have triggered D* to contact you for an installation though. The installation is part of the deal. They're supposed to come out and install a 5LNB dish and new multiswitch.

·
Legend
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Meklos said:
That should have triggered D* to contact you for an installation though. The installation is part of the deal. They're supposed to come out and install a 5LNB dish and new multiswitch.
I think they offered to come out when I activated. Didn't see a need for it at the time, and I'm still not in a hurry, as I've had both outstanding and appalling installation experiences with D*. I just want to be as prepared and informed as possible before they come out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.