Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mentor
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All

Just hit my 5th reset in one day, a mixture of red button and full due to lockups on shows (black screens), remote losing connectivity and the prompt to delete shows you haven't watched. It has been a looooooooooooooong day for me and the HR20.

I would like to point out as with others I think my frustration comes from the fact of liking the box and anticipating the time it can do a lot more, just not right now. Interested to see if others have seen these quirks other than what has already been mentioned since 0xfa was pushed.

I'll try again with this one, got an hour and a half left here in Denver before midnight so hopefully not enough time to squeeze number 6 in :)

WC

·
Icon
731 Posts
Do a full reset (format)... if it still is giving you this much trouble.. it would have to be replaced (IMO)

·
Mentor
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Sly

Tried the reset everything from the menu but it still shows my shows in playlist so obviously isn't doing that right. As a last resort I jsut forced the FA firmware down again and will try that

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Wildcat,

Forcing the download is good idea. I had forgotten that I had to do that once with one unit.

The other thing to try is a format of the hard drive. So just pop it out and put it into your PC and.... :)

Actually, the complete instructions are in the Unofficial Tips and Tricks guide: http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6605&d=1163706350

Good luck,
Tom

·
Mentor
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The attachment mentions the reformat but says ask tech support, is there an option I am missing or a back door to do this ?

·
Icon
731 Posts
There's two total reset methods.. via the remote.. and via holding the proper buttons on the unit.. try both.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
oops, my bad. I just assumed it was there. Here they are quoted from another thread:

You can also try to do the hardware format option.
While the system is starting... hold down the down arrow and record, until the unit restarts.
Cheers,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Same buttons as I understand things. Down arrow and record at the same time. But I've never tried either form yet.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Mentor
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Obviously spoke to soon here goes number 6. Weirdest thing is that a channel will freeze (in this case man vs wild on Discovery) so I quickly jump to another channel which continues to play fine but now when I press REW/FF or Pause it does nothing. THe other interesting thing is that say I press PAUSE then a second later I press INFO it will not do anything, I have to leave it another 2 seconds before re-attempting INFO and then it works. It's almost as though the unit is attempting something. All I know is that 6 in one day cannot be good, doing a TOTAL reset as we speak

·
Icon
731 Posts
The remote method is the one under menu/setup... not sure if it is truly different than the actually unit button reset.. but using the actual unit reset fixed my problems.

·
Mentor
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay all wanted to post an update as there is light at the end of the tunnel at least a small flashlight.

After a total of 7 resets I got a seemingly stable box up and running (has been for 48 hours solid), here is what I did:

1) First of all went into the playlist and manually deleted a corrupted show that was in there and would not delete with the full reset.

2) Went into the menu and chose FULL RESET (RESET EVERYTHING)

3) As the box rebooted I forced it to re-download the 0xFa FW then when it completed the initial setup went into the menu and chose RESET EVERYTHING again

4) Now I did the manual full reset while the box was booting (hold down arrow and press record until it reboots)

AFTER ALL OF THIS HAD COMPLETED AND I HAD GONE THROUGH INITIAL SETUP AGAIN I POWERED OFF THE UNIT OVER NIGHT TO ALLOW IT TO SLOW DOWN AND CATCH UP WITH THE GUIDE SOME WHAT.

POWERED ON THE NEXT MORNING & REMOTE ISSUES WERE RESOLVED AND ZERO LOCKUPS FOR 2 DAYS NOW.

Let me know if this works for you, may be some rhyme or reason here in the way I did things. This was the only way to completely reset the box and ensure FW was intact by forcing it again. What else was interesting is before I did the manual reset (down arrow and record button) the prioritizer still had shows listed even though it completed a full reset. After the manual reset this was gone, truly completed.

WC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.