DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mentor
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question.... couldn't tell from searching the site.

Does the 612 OTA behave the same as my 722? Can I record 3 things at once? Are there any differences? Thanks!
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,180 Posts
Differences are one tuner output (it cannot run independent second tv), no pip and size of the hard drive (I don't remember the sizes), you don't get charged for the additional tuner if no phone or internet connection. It can record three programs (1 OTA, 2 sat) at the same time.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
garys said:
Differences are one tuner output (it cannot run independent second tv), no pip and size of the hard drive (I don't remember the sizes), you don't get charged for the additional tuner if no phone or internet connection. It can record three programs (1 OTA, 2 sat) at the same time.
Cool, thanks.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
533 Posts
garys said:
Differences are one tuner output (it cannot run independent second tv), no pip and size of the hard drive (I don't remember the sizes), you don't get charged for the additional tuner if no phone or internet connection. It can record three programs (1 OTA, 2 sat) at the same time.
Correct except you will get charged if you don't have the receiver connected to a phone line or broadband. it is only waved if the box is a one tuner box, not if it only has one tuner output. My 211k does not have to be connected, while my 612 does.

Ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,469 Posts
kstevens said:
Correct except you will get charged if you don't have the receiver connected to a phone line or broadband. it is only waved if the box is a one tuner box, not if it only has one tuner output. My 211k does not have to be connected, while my 612 does.

Ken
My understanding is that the 612 is not charged the phone line fee since it is not a dual output receiver.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
374 Posts
TulsaOK said:
My understanding is that the 612 is not charged the phone line fee since it is not a dual output receiver.
That is what I was told by Dish and I have never had my 612 connected to a phone line and have never been charged for not having it connected to a phone line

Bob
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,969 Posts
kstevens said:
Correct except you will get charged if you don't have the receiver connected to a phone line or broadband. it is only waved if the box is a one tuner box, not if it only has one tuner output. My 211k does not have to be connected, while my 612 does.

Ken
This is incorrect (but based on a common misperception). Even Dish CSRs regularly use the wrong terminology, and say "dual-tuner" receivers must have a phone connection, but in actuality, it is dual-OUTPUT receivers that must be connected to avoid the "additional output fee."

The fee is there to make up for the fact that you would normally have had 2 receivers (1 per TV) before the dual-output receivers existed, with the 2nd receiver generating an "additional receiver fee." Dish just combined to receivers into one package, and decided to waive the additional receiver fee IF the customer connected the receiver to the phone. In other words, it's used as an incentive to get the customer to connect the receiver.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top