DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Legend
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
612 users, are you happy with this model?
I need to upgrade due to a new tv and one option is to just add a 612.
The other option is to go the hopper route, but the OTA still seems shaky.
Any advice?

·
AllStar
94 Posts
I've had a 612 for about 1.5 years now and we're happy with it. It's been a solid performer for us. I don't use OTA on it though.

I'm staying with my current setup (722k, 612, 211k) over the Hopper/Joey solely for the dual OTA tuner on the 722k. I'll keep this setup for as long as I can. I'd need two Hoppers and one Joey and I just don't want to do that right now.

·
Legend
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's encouraging.
The 612 does have ota, right?
Basically a 622 with only one tv output (not tv1 and tv2) and less disk space?
Any counterpoints out there?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,268 Posts
I've had two for a couple years now and with the exception of one hard drive failure they have worked well. I too don't use the OTA tuner.

To mike1977, have you considered asking for a replacement instead of complaining?

·
Godfather/Supporter
2,033 Posts
The problem seems to be isolated to weak channels losing the signal for the OTA module on the hopper. If you are not watching them when they drop there is no problem. Certainly if I wanted a Hoppa this would not be a reason to not get it. Given sometime they will fix it.

As to the 612 - I have three and love them. If you take my suggestion you will rarely have a problem, in fact they may be more stable than a 722 now. You need to keep it cool. Put a fan that takes the warm air away from it or blows cooler air into it.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,580 Posts
klang said:
I've had two for a couple years now and with the exception of one hard drive failure they have worked well. I too don't use the OTA tuner.

To mike1977, have you considered asking for a replacement instead of complaining?
I agree with Klang except I do use OTA and it works well as long as you have enough signal from your antenna. I also agree with Klang on the comment to Mike1977 it isn't DISH'S fault if you don't replace a problem receiver.

·
Legend
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep em coming.
I guess I could turn my 622 and get 2 612s for the same monthly cost?

·
Hall Of Fame
5,580 Posts
722921 said:
Keep em coming.
I guess I could turn my 622 and get 2 612s for the same monthly cost?
As an additional receiver the 622 is $17/mo. the 612 is only $10.

If you are going to replace the 622 and add a 612 you should come out $3 higher per mo.

·
Legend
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that info. Seems reasonable.

·
Godfather
472 Posts
"boba" said:
As an additional receiver the 622 is $17/mo. the 612 is only $10.

If you are going to replace the 622 and add a 612 you should come out $3 higher per mo.
Not a bad deal for twice the tuners, twice the HDD space, and HD in two rooms.

·
Legend
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
3HaloODST said:
Not a bad deal for twice the tuners, twice the HDD space, and HD in two rooms.
I don't think it is really twice the hdd space, maybe even less than one 622?
But yeah, more tuners and independant HD in 2 rooms is a bonus.

·
Godfather
472 Posts
"722921" said:
I don't think it is really twice the hdd space, maybe even less than one 622?
But yeah, more tuners and independant HD in 2 rooms is a bonus.
Both the 612 and 622 have 320GB hard drives. So two 612s would have twice the HDD space of a single 622 :) .

·
Legend
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
3HaloODST said:
Both the 612 and 622 have 320GB hard drives. So two 612s would have twice the HDD space of a single 622 :) .
Good to know, I thought the 622 had a 500GB, or is that the 722?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.