DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Legend
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just made the plunge to upgrade my 942 to a 622 while keeping the 942 for a second HDTV in the bedroom. My 622 is connected to a phone line, but the 942 doesn't have one nearby.

I had three installers come by to do the upgrade (3rd time was the charm, but that's another story). Each gave me a slightly different answer. Again nothing new here. Between E*'s CS and the contract installers I was passed around from upgrading to customer retention folks till I wanted to switch back to cable. Yes it almost got that bad!

Anyway, with the 622 directly connected to a phone line, do I need to also connect the 942 to a phone line? If yes, what is the consequence of not connecting the 942?

· Legend
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well my question has not generated any responses, so let me try a different approach.

Does the 622 talk to the 942 so that all I need is the 622 connected to the phone line?

· AllStar
85 Posts
In a word, No. Both receivers have to be independently connected to the phone line.

· Cool Member/Supporter
82 Posts
my understanding is that the 622 and the 942 at this time do not talk to each other, but that something is in the works so that only one 622 unit needs to be connected to a phone line so that verification can be performed to insure that the unit is where you say it is..... and not at a friends house and you are splinting the cost.

What I did was get one of those "one to two" phone outlets and plugged it into the 622 and the phone line to one side and a line to the 942 to the other. They seem to be happy as they check in at different times.

If, you don't.... I remember there will be an extra $5 a month fee (fine as I would call it).

Now wonder how Dish handles people that only have a Cell Phone for everything and some other internet line.... OH this is dish ... I need not wonder.... you pay the fee/fine.. now get back in line and eat your slop.

· Legend
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perry & Cold Irons;
Thanks. Your answers combined covered the scope of the 3 installers. One was convinced the 622 would pass on info from the 942. One said he wasn't sure and the other said never. Talking to E*'s CSRs did not actually give me a definitive answer either.

I guess I'll be stringing phone wire under the carpet this weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.