DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way I can tell the 622 to not upconvert (upscale)? I'd like my pioneer plasma (5070) to do the scaling, if necessary, instead of the dvr. Plus the pioneer can do auto-stretch when it detects 480i 4:3 pictures.

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
:welcome_s marius

Sorry but the 622 currently does not have a Native Pass-through feature that would be necessary to do what you are asking. There was some mention of this feature being added in the future but so far this feature has not be demoed at any show and it has not been released.

So.. short answer is No... Long answer is there is some hope and it has been mentioned as a feature that is coming. Key question is when and there is always the possibility that we want see this feature so if you are making a buying decision based on this information I would say.. Buy based on the feature you see today and not what is planned for the future.

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
Nope.. both need Native pass through which the 622 currently does not support.

·
Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think i might have found a temporary solution. According to some other posts in this forum, the s-video output will do everything in 480i. So I can feed HDMI and S-Video to my plasma and just switch input whenever I need to view SD, assuming that the plasma's built-in scaler does a better job than the 622.

Hopefully a firmware update in the future will allow for native resolution passthru. thanks!

·
8 Posts
marius said:
I think i might have found a temporary solution. According to some other posts in this forum, the s-video output will do everything in 480i. So I can feed HDMI and S-Video to my plasma and just switch input whenever I need to view SD, assuming that the plasma's built-in scaler does a better job than the 622.

Hopefully a firmware update in the future will allow for native resolution passthru. thanks!
I also have a Pioneer 5070 (just watch as thier sales explode - great display) and was wondering if your quick fix worked on using the S-Video to acheive native pass through? Also wondering what other settings, connections you currently are using on your 5070/vip622? Thanks

·
8 Posts
Ron Barry said:
:welcome_s marius

Sorry but the 622 currently does not have a Native Pass-through feature that would be necessary to do what you are asking. There was some mention of this feature being added in the future but so far this feature has not be demoed at any show and it has not been released.

So.. short answer is No... Long answer is there is some hope and it has been mentioned as a feature that is coming. Key question is when and there is always the possibility that we want see this feature so if you are making a buying decision based on this information I would say.. Buy based on the feature you see today and not what is planned for the future.
Just a quick question --- assuming Dish realizes the vast desire of their public to access native pass-through on the 622 --- what kind of fix would this be? hardware or software? Thanks

·
Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
veeper2006 said:
Just a quick question --- assuming Dish realizes the vast desire of their public to access native pass-through on the 622 --- what kind of fix would this be? hardware or software? Thanks
It'd be a software change.

·
Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
veeper2006 said:
I also have a Pioneer 5070 (just watch as thier sales explode - great display) and was wondering if your quick fix worked on using the S-Video to acheive native pass through? Also wondering what other settings, connections you currently are using on your 5070/vip622? Thanks
veeper,

I just received the 5070 yesterday, and started playing around with it. So far the S-Video trick does not work. When I feed the 480i signal to the pioneer the options to go to cinema and wide modes become available but it fails to fill the sidebars when you activate those modes.

It doesn't actually look like the pioneer does a better job at scaling 480i anyway, but it will take me another week or so to be conclusive I think. If you happen to come across a solution let me know. thanks.

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Do not rush to quick judgement on the Pioneer. It may take some trial and error to get your settings just right. I messed around off and on for months with mine. Anyhow its upscaling ability should be excellent. Best screen on the market.
Definitely need native passthrough, along with dolby on the hdmi.

·
8 Posts
Amherst said:
Do not rush to quick judgement on the Pioneer. It may take some trial and error to get your settings just right. I messed around off and on for months with mine. Anyhow its upscaling ability should be excellent. Best screen on the market.
I agree - this Pioneer (5070) is one fantastic machine. I have been using the following break-in settings compliments of D-Nice over at avsforum.com:

Break-in settings for Pioneer 427(0,1,2)/507(0,1,2)/607(0,1,2) with cable/satellite boxes(Do not use with a DVD player)

Main Menu
AV Selection: User
Contrast: 25
Brightness: -1
Color: -9
Tint: 0
Sharpness: -5

Pro Adjust
Pure Cinema: ADV

Color Detail
Color Temp: Low

CTI: Off

NR
DNR: Off
MPEG NR: Off

Power Save Mode: Save2
H/V Position Adjust (HDMI Only): Verical +2

Pioneer 427(0,1,2)/507(0,1,2)/607(0,1,2) with SA8300/3250 Cable Box (may work with other cable and DishTV/DirecTV satellite boxes)

Main Menu
AV Selection: User
Contrast: 36
Brightness: +1
Color: -6
Tint: 0
Sharpness: -5

Pro Adjust
Pure Cinema: ADV

Color Detail
Color Temp: Low

CTI: Off

NR
DNR: Off
MPEG NR: Off

Power Save Mode: Standard
H/V Position Adjust (HDMI Only): Verical +2

·
8 Posts
As an after thought --- what can we - as customers - do to push Dishtv into providing the appropriate software fix for native passthrough? This obvious flaw in the 622 hinders total enjoyment of their service. Anyone got any bright idea's on how to push Charlie into making a quick software remedy?

·
Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
veeper2006 said:
As an after thought --- what can we - as customers - do to push Dishtv into providing the appropriate software fix for native passthrough? This obvious flaw in the 622 hinders total enjoyment of their service. Anyone got any bright idea's on how to push Charlie into making a quick software remedy?
The best thing you can do is call or e-mail DISH and tell them how much you want this feature. DISH has already said, in a previous Chat that they are working on native passthrough. The question is though, how high up on the queue is it. If more customers start asking for it, it may get moved up, who knows. Anyways, that's probably the best thing you can do.

·
Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Amherst said:
Not sure why it looks noticeably worse when the Pioneer upscales the picture from s-video output of the 622. It's possible that the 622 does something funky with the picture before sending it out thru the s-video port. We won't know until we get true native passthru i guess.

I'm using D-Nice's break-in settings for my pioneer as well, so I'll muck around with the settings and try again once the break-in is over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.