DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just got the Dish 622 hooked up to a 50" Toshiba through component cables. I have 1080i and 16x9 selected for the output type. HD looks fine, however the SD programming is in different sizes depending on the channel w/the TV set to native/natural mode and the 622 set to "Normal" format. Most have black bars on the side and some have black bars on all sides. With SD, I don't like the 4x3 with bars, but using the "Stretch, Partial Zoom and Zoom" the pictures look too distorted. Does this sound normal?

Now with my old Dish 508 and 301 tuners hooked up through S-Video, I just used the "Theater Wide - 1" format and my Toshiba TV and it did a great job of filling the whole screen with very little distortion. But if I try it now, it just makes it worse. Also with the above setup, the "Full" format is greyed out and unusable on my TV. Is this normal and is there anyway to get the SD broadcasts to display like they did with my 508 and 301?

Thanks.

David

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
The508 and 301 do not have HD, so they are handled differently as far as the format button is concerned. The 622 handles format several different ways. The format is independent on sd and HD on tv1, while tv2 will be the same if you are in single mode but will act as the 508 and 301 while in dual mode. It takes some getting use to, but that is how it works. If you want the sd to work as your 508 and 301, hook up the composites to another input on you set and switch the 622 to dual mode.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,871 Posts
Dave12345 said:
Most have black bars on the side and some have black bars on all sides. With SD, I don't like the 4x3 with bars, but using the "Stretch, Partial Zoom and Zoom" the pictures look too distorted. Does this sound normal?
What you're seeing is consistent with trying to display 4:3 content on a 16:9 display. A number of schemes exist for stretching and all of them necessarily involve distortion.

The black bars on all sides issues can be eliminated by zooming. Content such as that is designed to be displayed on a 16:9 display. On an 4:3 TV, there are black bars on the top and bottom.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
garys said:
The508 and 301 do not have HD, so they are handled differently as far as the format button is concerned. The 622 handles format several different ways. The format is independent on sd and HD on tv1, while tv2 will be the same if you are in single mode but will act as the 508 and 301 while in dual mode. It takes some getting use to, but that is how it works. If you want the sd to work as your 508 and 301, hook up the composites to another input on you set and switch the 622 to dual mode.
Thanks for the reply. I connected the TV1 composites to another input and in single mode it did not work like the 508/301 -- the TV "Theater Wide" modes were still not right. I didn't try it in dual mode however. Then I tried connecting the TV2 composites and switched it to dual mode and it did not work either. Will connecting through TV1 and switching to dual mode make it work? Is there a way to toggle single/dual mode from the remote? Also, will I need to change the HDTV setup to 4:3 instead 16:9?

David

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
The SD and HD channels will work differently, there is no way to get them all to work as the 508/301 works as it is only an sd receiver. The only switch for single user/dual user mode is button on receiver, there is nothing on the remote.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.