DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the overlong post, but we have had 3 weeks of nightmares with our 622 and are hoping that the more information provided the better in finding a solution to our problem.

Here's the story. Upgraded to a 622 3 weeks ago. Within 2 hours of installer leaving the house, screen went blank and "check switch" box came up. Scrolling through the menu to "check the switch" showed a receiver error. (Both TVs controlled by 622 box went out. Separate TVs in other parts of house run from HD-211 and non-HD receivers continued to work fine.)
Installer returned and said that cables from old system needed to be upgraded and proceeded to replace cable to 622.
Within 2 days, same "check switch" failure came up on the new 211 single HD receiver. Tech came out and replaced cable to that receiver.
A few days later, a repeat of the "check switch" and problems acquiring a signal came up on the 622 receiver. After running diagnostics, we eventually recouped some channels in one room and other channels in the other room run off the 622. Overnight the second TV that was not working at all came back with channels. Tech came out and replaced the splitters and the ports.
All was well for about a week and then the "check switch" came up again. All of the same failures came up as diagnostics were run. As before, on the check switch - it would go to 1/38 instead of 1/4 for the check. Tech came out again and this time replaced the 622 receiver and the switch. So now every piece of equipment has been replaced since the initial install. When he left 3 days ago, the tech said he is out of possible solutions and wouldn't know what to do if the problem recurred.
Notably, after the cable to the 211 HD receiver was replaced, we have had no other failures on that set or on the non-HD receiver. So we know that there is nothing wrong with the satellites. Weather is a non-issue.
We are 3 days post the last visit from the tech and the "check switch" came on again. After about 6 reboots, all is working again tonight.
It is possible that each of the "check switch" errors followed heavy remote control scrolling through the channels using either the up/down channel buttons, the use of the scroll on the bottom of the screen done quickly, or entering a particular channel.
We are trying to figure out what is wrong, if we can get around this issue or if it is time to go back to cable!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,433 Posts
What is the signal strenghts for your sats? Especially 129.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,433 Posts
sfrush said:
In general, signal strength is very good. On 129, not so good, 76.
That should be good enough to stay locked, but might be an issue. Do you have an exceptionally long run to the 622? Do you get the check disk screen when on certain channels?

I had a similar problem to you and had my older cables replaced and that took care of it--no problems since. Were all the connector plates replaced as well?

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ebaltz said:
That should be good enough to stay locked, but might be an issue. Do you have an exceptionally long run to the 622? Do you get the check disk screen when on certain channels?

I had a similar problem to you and had my older cables replaced and that took care of it--no problems since. Were all the connector plates replaced as well?
Not an exceptionally long run. All cables and connector plates were replaced. Unfortunately, no apparent rhyme or reason to when the check switch screen comes on.

·
Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
Did your installed replace the LNBs on the satellite dish? Sounds like that's about the last thing that hasn't been replaced.

·
Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
Well, there's definitely something wrong with the install somewhere because this doesn't happen when things are right. So, back to the beginning.

First, you have a 622 and a 211, right? No other receivers? Do you have a Dish1000 dish? I'll assume so for now. Do you have a switch (metal box with 4 coax connectors on 3 of the sides) somewhere between the dish and your receivers, or do the coax lines run straight from dish to receivers? Did all of the cable get replaced, including all in-wall cable that is being used? You say that the wall plate connectors were replaced - what do the barrel connectors look like? Are they the standard gold ones, or are they the longer (1" at least total) silver ones with either blue or red plastic in the center of them? The longer silver ones are rated for 2.2GHZ signals. The standard gold ones are not. If you are using the standard gold ones, then that's what is causing your problem. Is your cable run from dish to receivers longer than 150 feet?

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have a new 622, a new 211 and still have an old 301 running still. At this point there are new cables running from our roof - from the dish - to both the 622 and the 211. There were old cables before, with the non blue connector - but this is no longer the case. The run to the 622 is about 30 feet. We do have the single cable that comes in is split, then the signal for the second TV goes back out over the same cable to the switch on the roof and then to the second TV in a different room (the non HD TV). Those cables are not new, but are after the switch. There are no wall plate connectors for these boxes, the cable comes uncut from the roof directly to the new receivers now.
At this point, really, everything has been replaced. It has seemed that the problem has occurred most often when my older son is using the remote and making very quick changes - always using the channel guide you get with the right arrow, quick scrolling, then - up comes the check switch. In addition, it seems to have happened when over time, it just was taking longer and longer to change to any channel. Again, it was interesting, that at least on a couple occasions, when the system was out totally on one of the TVs (since at times it would be ok on 1, but off on the other), the second TV would come back overnight - I guess when there is that reboot of the system?
Thanks.

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, the power for the switch had been set up at the old 301, but at the last service it was moved, to be complete, to the area of the new 301 so it would also run on new cable.

·
Legend
215 Posts
I was about to ask what switch you have because I do not see it mentioned anywhere. Looks like you have a DPP44 switch and it looks like you do indeed have the switch power insert/supply properly installed on port 1 with your 301 based on your last post? That was gonna be my suggestion... ohh well.

·
Legend
131 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but did you replace your 44? and are the connectors the "right" way on the power inserter? (Once I accidentally connected backwards the connectors to a sw-64 inserter, ran everything fine in that broken configuration for two days, then the switch died, slowly having switch errors until no tvs worked except one, ironically, the most used)
You say that one tv is "totally out" that sounds suspicious of a switch. Do you have diplexors installed? Have you replaced them? Are they rated for 2150mhz?
Have you replaced the dual tuner adapter thingie on the 622?
Have you tried swapping ports on the switch to see if "blackout" problems follow the cable moves? (but be careful about connection #1)
Have you replaced the power inserter and brick?

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. Over the several service visits everything has been replaced - power, switch, etc. Since the time of this initial post all has been ok. We have gone out of our way to not make the rapid multiple channel changes (kids initially banned from using remote!). At this point it does seem like there were some of the problems everyone has kindly listed, and those were corrected. It just seems like when the channels are changes rapidly, especially using the scrolling menu at the bottom, it overwhelms the switch (or the receiver?) and the check switch comes up. Eventually all can be reset (though I have learned here that perhaps I also need to unplug the power for the switch next time).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.