DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ethernet interface on the Vip series is for "future use". The ability to put USB recordings onto an external disc is hinted at in the software, but currently not an enabled feature.

Is there any known timetable for enabling these things on the 622?

For that matter, I've had about 6 different receivers since I started up with Dish about 10 years ago, and as far as I know NONE of the expansion ports has ever been used. Have any of them EVER been enabled?

Thanks

GP

·
Hall Of Fame
2,010 Posts
I have never seen Dish publish any timetables nor do I believe they will. They will be enabled when the feature is ready, or never. Only they know.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
This is one of the odd things about "upgradability" with modern technology. It is very cool to get a new device (in this case a Dish DVR) and see that it has expansion ports and things that are there for "future use" so we feel like we can upgrade to the next thing by just adding a small part.

But then the way technology obsoletes itself these days... it is often cheaper for the company to make a whole new box than make an expansion... and sometimes they even can offer it cheaper to the consumer too!

Also coming into play... maybe they can add a card that performs new features, but the old receiver is not robust enough to peak perform with the add-in like a new receiver with a faster CPU can do.

I used to run into this a lot with my home computer upgrades... Always wanting a new graphics card or faster hard drive, but realizing my old CPU couldn't keep up so to truly use the use features I needed a new CPU and motherboard too.

In the current case of the ViP series... enabling Ethernet and offering Ethernet and USB support for things would be cool and probably will happen... though who knows when! Hopefully there will be new features that can be enabled/added that will perform well enough when enabled on these boxes and not make us wish for the next one that is faster.

I sit on the fence a lot of times with upgradability as it often is the case that in order to truly make something capable of being upgraded for the future... you have to sacrifice performance now. Usually a designer ends up with a choice to optimize performance right now and maybe sacrifice expandability OR make it expandable but sacrifice performance.

Just 2.5 cents :)

·
Legend
123 Posts
Usually these ports are so cheap to add, they only cost pennies, so it's kind of a "why not?" type of decision. I know of several devices that are now obsolete that had expansion ports that were never used.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,262 Posts
mwsmith2 said:
Usually these ports are so cheap to add, they only cost pennies, so it's kind of a "why not?" type of decision. I know of several devices that are now obsolete that had expansion ports that were never used.
Plus newbies get excited when they see a port mentioned in their manuals 'for future use' - I've seen this mentioned in the various receivers' manuals for 10 years so I just ignore it!!!:lol:

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mwsmith2 said:
I'm sure this is the case...

So all you Dish history buffs...has an expansion port or jack *EVER* been enabled after release?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,262 Posts
guillermopelotas said:

So all you Dish history buffs...has an expansion port or jack *EVER* been enabled after release?
I went from the biiiiiig dish (that would always scare someone standing next to it when you changed channels) to their first receiver for the small, roof-mounted dishes - I think the receiver was a 100 or a 1000? Don't know when the expansion ports were added - possibly the early 300's (?) - but in all the receivers that I owned up through the 510 and today's 622, the expansion port was always noted as 'for future use' in the manuals. So, no, I don't think they have ever been enabled.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
guillermopelotas said:

Both expansion ports were eventually used on the 6000's.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
It seems to me that my original 4000 had an "Accessory" port that did nothing. Then one year DISH got the satellite at 110 and they came up with a SWAJ to go into it that allowed you to switch between the two sats. It also had a High Speed Data Port that did get enabled for some specialized data feed as well as a Signal stock quote adapter. That same port on a 5000 also got some HDTV adapter (never had a 5000). I think that same Data Port was used for the early Dolby Digital adapter as well.

EDIT - I forgot that the USB port on my 942 wasn't initially enabled but did get activated.

·
Mentor/Supporter
37 Posts
guillermopelotas said:

YES! Dolby Digital Adapter worked for my old HD unit. (do not remember the model number)

Also didn't they have another adapter for that slot too? OH YES, the 8VSB adapter

Jann

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tnsprin said:
Both expansion ports were eventually used on the 6000's.
**BING BING BING** We have a WINNER!!!!

I totally forgot about that. I even received the upgrade myself. :nono2:

Thanks for the reply, everyone. I appreciate it very much!

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
but does anyone have any idea whether at least the external hard drive feature may be enabled? this must be more of a policy decision than a software decision. it can't be too hard to tell a recorder to copy file from or to a standard usb device these days...even a crappy interface to store and retrieve files would be better than none.

policy wise, my guess is that they are fearing that when a receiver goes bad, the user loses all his saved recordings---because they have made the stupid choice of binding the encryption to the unit, not to the user---and thence go ballistic on them.

I am of course equally pissed that a large part of my hard drive functions to store pay-on-demand recordings, that I will never use.

/iaw

·
Super Moderator
53,105 Posts
Every improvement requires testing. It would not bode well if E* released a feature, especially a desired one, and it did not work correctly. Plus they would have to decide how to offer the feature - if they wanted to take the risk of "any old" USB 2.0 drive being connected or if they wanted to pre-approve drives for the task. (I'm hoping for the former - but if a user loses all of their external recordings because they bought a crappy USB drive are they going to blame the hard drive manufacturer or E*?)

People already lose all their recordings on the internal drive if a receiver goes bad. It would be relatively easy to tie an external drive to one receiver (match smart card/receiver serial in some alogrhythm?) but deciding who owns that receiver is another step. A unique number would have to be generated on the receiver based on the account number if they decided to go on a "locked to account" basis. Does a receiver know it's account number? Maybe. (I'm hoping for "locked to account" but I am expecting "locked to receiver".)

It should be coming ... be patient. You want it to work right, right?

·
Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
James Long said:
Every improvement requires testing. It would not bode well if E* released a feature, especially a desired one, and it did not work correctly.
You do realize this is Echostar we're talking about. If they started testing boxes and features before releasing them, their heads would explode (or maybe our heads would). ;)

I've been with them for 10 years +, and I've seen no indication that they will every plan to properly test anything. Though I will give them credit on the 622 so far.

·
Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
guillermopelotas said:
You do realize this is Echostar we're talking about. If they started testing boxes and features before releasing them, their heads would explode (or maybe our heads would). ;)

I've been with them for 10 years +, and I've seen no indication that they will every plan to properly test anything. Though I will give them credit on the 622 so far.
You would be absolutely wrong, guillermopelotas. Look for your head to explode any minute now. :)

·
Legend
162 Posts
Of course take this with a grain of salt... I just signed up directly with Dish and asked the rep taking the order if the vip622 can plug in an external hard drive. He put me on hold for about 3 minutes and came back and said "I just spoke to my supervisor, and he said yes you can use an external one, but you may not open up the box to install an internal one."

He made it sound like it's already available...

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
Like you said. Grain of salt.. ;) This feature is currently not available.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
cornflakes said:
Of course take this with a grain of salt... I just signed up directly with Dish and asked the rep taking the order if the vip622 can plug in an external hard drive. He put me on hold for about 3 minutes and came back and said "I just spoke to my supervisor, and he said yes you can use an external one, but you may not open up the box to install an internal one."

He made it sound like it's already available...
I got the same response from a sales guy... Telling me I could just do to Best Buy and get a Drive with USB and plug it in.:lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.