DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
AllStar
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anybody is using this combo and if they are experiencing any problems with the hdmi? Wife and I finnally decided it was time to upgrade upstairs TV and figured I'd make use of the HDMI and get "real" hdtv. Thanls

·
AllStar
62 Posts
eclipsetrb said:
Wondering if anybody is using this combo and if they are experiencing any problems with the hdmi? Wife and I finnally decided it was time to upgrade upstairs TV and figured I'd make use of the HDMI and get "real" hdtv. Thanls
When it works, 622 HDMI out is good, and bit sharper on the screen than component. This is my subjective opinion, which also says that the colors seem a bit "better" on the component connection than on the HDMI. YMMV :)

Two problems I've seen on these forums with 622 and HDMI: One is a physical HDMI connector mounting defect on the 622 that can result in solder joint fracture at the motherboard. Poor mechanical design of the connector/box interface can result in bad stress at the solder joints. If you haven't gotten your 622 yet, you can hope that you'll get a redesigned HDMI connector and won't be susceptible to that failure mode. Hasn't happened to me yet, knock wood!

The second problem that has surfaced is a rare (IMO) incompatibility between the 622 HDMI firmware and that of the receiver or HDTV. Some Vizio sets had a problem, but I think that's been solved by the latest 622 software update(s). Don't have a Vizio myself, and our Sony has worked OK with the 622 HDMI from the beginning. Might be incompatibilities with other equipment that I'm not aware of.

·
Mentor
40 Posts
eclipsetrb said:
I have the TH-50px60u and so far so good with the HDMI connection. I support the HDMI connection by putting something underneath it. I also added a laptop cooling pad underneath the unit to prevent it from overheating.

·
AllStar
85 Posts
I have the 50-inch panasonic (TH-50....) & the 622. I still have occasional audio "dropouts" that last 1-2 seconds when I use the HDMI. Because of this, I keep my TV set to use the 622 component outputs most of the time.

·
Legend
227 Posts
Cold Irons said:
I have the 50-inch panasonic (TH-50....) & the 622. I still have occasional audio "dropouts" that last 1-2 seconds when I use the HDMI. Because of this, I keep my TV set to use the 622 component outputs most of the time.
I have the 50u.....I get sound studdering on the major networks using HDMI. Haven't found an explanation yet. Whether it is my optical audio out or something else. Had a tech guy come out and he said he heard nothing....coulda strangled the guy. :mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.