Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Legend
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's another question.

The brochure for the 622 says it has an ATSC antenna input for digital OTA broadcasts. We all know that.

What's odd is there is a "3" next to it that at the footnotes says "Requires Caller ID subscription with local phone company." Does that mean that if I don't have a landline phone I can't get HD OTA?? What does that have to do with it?

I realize the pay-per-view issue and they told me I can simply call the phone number instead if I want a pay per view movie. But what does Caller ID have to do with HD OTA? For that matter what does Caller ID have to do with DISH?

I see no point paying for a landline phone when nobody ever called me on it when I did have one, they all used my cell phone, so I saved $20 a month shutting it off entirely.

·
Icon
701 Posts
akron05 said:
Here's another question.

The brochure for the 622 says it has an ATSC antenna input for digital OTA broadcasts. We all know that.

What's odd is there is a "3" next to it that at the footnotes says "Requires Caller ID subscription with local phone company." Does that mean that if I don't have a landline phone I can't get HD OTA?? What does that have to do with it?

I realize the pay-per-view issue and they told me I can simply call the phone number instead if I want a pay per view movie. But what does Caller ID have to do with HD OTA? For that matter what does Caller ID have to do with DISH?

I see no point paying for a landline phone when nobody ever called me on it when I did have one, they all used my cell phone, so I saved $20 a month shutting it off entirely.
Akron,

The Caller ID feature has NOTHING to do with receiving your locals via OTA.

If you want Caller ID feature to work then you need to connect a Phone Line to the receiver as well as subscribe to the Caller ID feature from your Local Telephone Provider.

With all that said if you DO NOT connect a Phone Line to the 622, Dish will charge you a $5.00 fee each month that phone Line is NOT plugged in. Once per month your receiver will call in to Dish to verify its connection to the Phone LINE with the Number that is recorded as yours according to Dish Network records.

John

·
Icon
701 Posts
Calvin Carrigan said:
I understood that if I didn't keep a land line connected that I would be charged an additional 6 bucks a month and that I wouldn't get updates to my box?
Calvin,

Updates have NOTHING what soever to do with your Phone line connection. All Data, firmware updates, EPG data is VIA SATELLITE ONLY. The only need for a Phone line connection is to verify Impulse purchases (PPV, ON Demand) and verify your receivers location from that Phone Lines actual number.

John

·
Legend
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JohnL said:
Akron,

The Caller ID feature has NOTHING to do with receiving your locals via OTA.

If you want Caller ID feature to work then you need to connect a Phone Line to the receiver as well as subscribe to the Caller ID feature from your Local Telephone Provider.

With all that said if you DO NOT connect a Phone Line to the 622, Dish will charge you a $5.00 fee each month that phone Line is NOT plugged in. Once per month your receiver will call in to Dish to verify its connection to the Phone LINE with the Number that is recorded as yours according to Dish Network records.

John
No point switching from cable then. I either pay $5 more a month, reducing my monthly savings to a paltry $11 or so, or pay for a land line which will cost $20.

It's 2006. Do the DBS providers not realize that half the population no longer uses a land line phone?

·
Icon
701 Posts
akron05 said:
In addition, I can't get DSL here so I will have to keep TWC RoadRunner either way.
Akron,

I will mention that Earthlink resells Time Warners' High Speed Service. You keep the same Cable Modem the speed is the same, the bill even still comes from Time Warner.

The ONLY difference is your Email address will change, and you will pay AT LEAST $3 - $5 LESS per month getting Earthlink High Speed instead of Paying the NON-TV Subscriber rate that Time Warner charges.

John

·
Icon
701 Posts
akron05 said:
No point switching from cable then. I either pay $5 more a month, reducing my monthly savings to a paltry $11 or so, or pay for a land line which will cost $20.

It's 2006. Do the DBS providers not realize that half the population no longer uses a land line phone?
Akron,

While I will agree that many in the US have forgone Land Based Lines for Cell Based ones, but that percentage is VASTLY less than 50 percent of the US that doesn't have a Land based phone line. More like 15-20 percent athough that percentage is likely to grow. Which is why many Telco's are pushing into FIOS, and other bundled products.

John

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
akron05 said:
What's odd is there is a "3" next to it that at the footnotes says "Requires Caller ID subscription with local phone company."
The reference should be to footnote #2 which advises that an OTA antenna is required to receive OTA programming.

·
3 Posts
I think the $5/month to have your system hooked up to a phone line is obscene. Dish is treating people as stealing. I'd also bet that they're sending data up to dish regarding your viewing habits.

·
Premium Member
21,657 Posts
ctviggen said:
I think the $5/month to have your system hooked up to a phone line is obscene. Dish is treating people as stealing. I'd also bet that they're sending data up to dish regarding your viewing habits.
Dish is not doing anything that reasonable retail stores do not do... Retail stores have those megnetic thingies embedded in CDs, DVDs, computer software, etc... so that if you try to sneak out of the store with them an alarm goes off.

Because of people who will and do steal... companies (like Dish) are forced to make an assumption that all assets are at risk and put security on all devices.

·
AllStar
97 Posts
Yeah although I don't like it it is fair that they do this. I had a SKY box in England (same company as D*) and i used to order PPV Football ('soccer') but i didn't have my receiver connected as it wasn't convient, each time i wanted to watch a ppv event i had to plug in an extension cord to the phone and sat receiver and it let me purchase, then i would unplug. I never got charged because the charges are once a month and i didn't have it plugged in once a month (i wasn't breaking any rules because you only had to keep it connected for one year for contract reasons after that they had no grounding.)

However I got an upgrade and the box got rellocated to another room and it had to be plugged in again!! so i got a hefty bill the next month for a years worth of PPV :/ I couldn't compain though!

So Dish is only protecting what it is charging for

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.