DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
622 OTA tuner-What "generation" chip does this thing have in it? Is it the latest generation chip available? Is it better than an 811 at OTA reception?
I am about to jump to the 622 as Charlotte HD locals are supposed to be up "soon" But I don't know how many stations they will include in HD. Or will all stations now in the locals package automatically go to HD reception? And I don't know what upgrades might be just around the corner for the 622.

And to all, a very Happy New Year. May the Panthers win the superbowl (stop that laughing right now, I mean it!):lol:

·
Legend
155 Posts
audiomaster,

I don't know what generation the 622's OTA is, but it is way better than the 811. I have 2 811s and OTA was somewhat problematic with all the trees in the area. I did the upgrade to the 622 and have virtually no problems picking up OTA. I used to need a rotatator as my Fox station is 90 degrees from the rest of the transmiters, but the 622 picks it up fine.

As to the HD locals, at best you'l get the 4 major networks through the sat. We get the ABC, CBS, NBC in HD through the sat but Fox, 2 PBS', the CW, MyQ and a couple other independent locals in SD through the sat. All save the inds broadcase OTA in HD.

Miner

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
I have also seen better performance from my 622 than both my 921 and 811. I am not sure what generation it is, but it does seem to perform better than my previous receivers.

I have read some posts indicating the 622 did worse, but most users seem to see an improvement.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,498 Posts
The latest generation of chips just released last week by LG are being called the "Sixth-Generation Digital TV Chipset", see this link for information on LG's chipset. My guess is that the chipset in the ViP receivers is 5th generation. I'm guessing that because of when it came out (considering the lag time for the design phase). As the very worse, the ViP series could have 4th generation chips but, my bet is that what chips the 811 and 921 have.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
audiomaster said:
622 OTA tuner-What "generation" chip does this thing have in it? Is it the latest generation chip available? Is it better than an 811 at OTA reception?
I am about to jump to the 622 as Charlotte HD locals are supposed to be up "soon" But I don't know how many stations they will include in HD. Or will all stations now in the locals package automatically go to HD reception? And I don't know what upgrades might be just around the corner for the 622.

And to all, a very Happy New Year. May the Panthers win the superbowl (stop that laughing right now, I mean it!):lol:
depending on how you count them its a 4th or 5th generation OTA chip. 4th generation single chip 5th generation multiple chip receiver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.