DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an onkyo r500 receiver for my surround sound and when I hold down the volume button on my 622 remote control it doesn’t make the volume rapidly go up or down instead I have to keep pressing the volume in increments of one. This isn’t the case on my DVD player or TV. Is there any thing that can be done because its annoying to press the up volume 40 times to get it to a comfortable licensing volume. Its also annoying constantly switching to different modes on the remote, this was not a problem with my old Tivo remote. Any help appreciated.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
user04 said:
I have an onkyo r500 receiver for my surround sound and when I hold down the volume button on my 622 remote control it doesn't make the volume rapidly go up or down instead I have to keep pressing the volume in increments of one. This isn't the case on my DVD player or TV. Is there any thing that can be done because its annoying to press the up volume 40 times to get it to a comfortable licensing volume. Its also annoying constantly switching to different modes on the remote, this was not a problem with my old Tivo remote. Any help appreciated.
Short answer is no. The 2 remotes work differently. The E* remote sends a a single command. Where as the Onkyo sends out repeating command chain. I have an Onkyo TX-SR602 that switches between 3 component inputs so I know your pain. It means we have to carry around 2 remotes instead of 1 "universal" remote. It is possible to change channels (direct channel # input) w/ the Onkyo remote but it is not possible to bring up the guide.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply; do you know if any universal remotes like the harmony that do the repeating command chain feature?

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And if the E* remote only sends a single command every time I press the volume, how come this is not the case with my TV where I only have to hold the volume down and it progressively gets louder.

·
Mentor
66 Posts
whatchel1 said:
Short answer is no. The 2 remotes work differently. The E* remote sends a a single command. Where as the Onkyo sends out repeating command chain. I have an Onkyo TX-SR602 that switches between 3 component inputs so I know your pain. It means we have to carry around 2 remotes instead of 1 "universal" remote. It is possible to change channels (direct channel # input) w/ the Onkyo remote but it is not possible to bring up the guide.
I have the Onkyo TX-SR803 and when I hold down the volume control on my 622 remote or my Logitech 880 the volume increases or decreases continually repectively. Its not a problem with the remotes unless there is a programming feature in the remotes for this. I don't remember doing anything special for the to work on my unit.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply I have no idea why holding down the volume up or down only moves it in increments of one instead of rapid succession. Do you have to constantly change the modes on the remote from sat to aux and vice versa every time you want to change the channel or adjust the volume? This is very annoying as I didn’t have to do this with my old Tivo remote.

·
Mentor
66 Posts
user04 said:
Thanks for the reply I have no idea why holding down the volume up or down only moves it in increments of one instead of rapid succession. Do you have to constantly change the modes on the remote from sat to aux and vice versa every time you want to change the channel or adjust the volume? This is very annoying as I didn't have to do this with my old Tivo remote.
You can program your vip622 remote to adjust volume on a device of your choice without having to change modes. Look in the Remote Control section of your 622 manual and it will direct you how to do it. I adjust the volume on my Onkyo with my remote still in Sat mode. (I'm assuming you have already programmed your Aux mode to control your Onkyo A/V Receiver).:)

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks I wasn’t aware that you could adjust volume on a device of your choice, it worked perfectly I must have missed it in the manual. Now if only I could figure out why my receiver’s volume won’t go up or down rapidly when it works just fine with the controller it came with, and my old Tivo remote. Any other advice on what could be causing this?

·
Mentor
66 Posts
user04 said:
Thanks I wasn't aware that you could adjust volume on a device of your choice, it worked perfectly I must have missed it in the manual. Now if only I could figure out why my receiver's volume won't go up or down rapidly when it works just fine with the controller it came with, and my old Tivo remote. Any other advice on what could be causing this?
I'm pretty much out of idea's. Only thing I can suggest is some sort of incompatibility with the your model of Onkyo and the 622 remote. My Onkyo is a current model that I just purchased a couple of months ago, althought if your TIVO remote would control it you would think the 622 remote would as well. Good luck, I will keep thinking about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.