DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Legend
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's Fox. The sound is wayyyyy off. The crack to the bat heard way before the actual action in the World Series tonite. Have no idea why it is just one channel but this has been going on to various degrees on Fox since the 622 was installed a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps there are other channels but I surf around alot and haven't noticed anything. I have on OTA antenna and that Fox feed is perfect.

Any ideas. CSR was of no use. Rebooted the DVR, checked the latest software update and that was it. She forwarded the issue to their tech staff and said basically we'll get back to you whenever. I said whenever better be soon 'cause I can pull the plug on my service within 30 days of install. It's nice to have at least a little bit of leverage. BTW, I was watching in dual mode and the problem is seen on both TVs. Very wierd. I also occasional sound static/popping on the second TV but it is infrequent.

·
Mentor
66 Posts
DanoP said:
That's Fox. The sound is wayyyyy off. The crack to the bat heard way before the actual action in the World Series tonite. Have no idea why it is just one channel but this has been going on to various degrees on Fox since the 622 was installed a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps there are other channels but I surf around alot and haven't noticed anything. I have on OTA antenna and that Fox feed is perfect.

Any ideas. CSR was of no use. Rebooted the DVR, checked the latest software update and that was it. She forwarded the issue to their tech staff and said basically we'll get back to you whenever. I said whenever better be soon 'cause I can pull the plug on my service within 30 days of install. It's nice to have at least a little bit of leverage. BTW, I was watching in dual mode and the problem is seen on both TVs. Very wierd. I also occasional sound static/popping on the second TV but it is infrequent.
Need more details......

How is your system connected? Audio thru TV or thru Home Theater A/V system? Are you getting your audio thru your HDMI connection?:down:
Have you set or changed the Dolby Digital settings on your vip622?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,105 Posts
It's a FOX issue Dano, it happens on the SAT DT locals nationwide, it can be SD or HD. It comes and goes, and is usually watchable 80% of the time, but when it's bad, it's real bad! Because of the unresolved glitch, all my DVR timers for FOX are set to record OTA.
It's either something to do with how the 622 decodes the data being sent down by FOX, or something to do with how FOX encodes the data they're sending down.
Either way, it will get resolved.

If you're considering "pulling the plug," you should probably read about the issues with the 6.3a update just spooled by D*. It'll make this issue seem relatively small.

·
Legend
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An additional bit of info (since I'm a new customer I'm still in learn mode).... the problem occurs on channel 004-00 (I think that's the zero sequence, I'm writing from memory) but I see there is also a fox channel in the 8000's. So, I have actually three local fox channels showing the same program.....004-00, the one in the 8000s and an OTA/digital fox station. Only 004-00 is having the problem. Unfortunately it is of better PQ quality than the channel in the 8000s. Can someone explain why I'm getting two local fox stations (I understand the OTA broadcast).

Regarding my setup....I have an HDMI connection from the 622 to my main TV (Panasonic plasma) and digital audio out from the 622 to my Pioneer Elite dolby digital receiver. The reason I neglected to tell you that in the original post is because the issue occurs also on my secondary cheapo 20 inch SD TV in another room.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,202 Posts
If you have an OTA antenna connected then you would get the local Fox station over this antenna (00201 for instance). If you subscribe to the locals on satellite, you would get the Fox station in the 8000 range (this is analog or SD). Also, if E* has a contract to broadcast the digital station over satellite, you would get this Fox station in the 6000 range. It's the same one as the OTA station (00201) but it allows you to record more than one local HD show at the same time. This brings the total up to 3.

·
Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
DanoP - your local Fox channel in the 8000's and the one at 004-00 are the same channel. The 622 remaps the channel from 8xxx to 004-00 because you have satellite local mapping turned on in the local channels screen (Menu-6-9). You are probably seeing the audio problem on channel 004-01, which is your OTA Fox HD channel that you are receiving with your antenna. Which makes the audio sync a FOX problem, most likely.

·
Legend
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info y'all....thanks. I am sure that the sync issue is on 004-00 while 004-01 (OTA) syncs properly and so does the 8000 channel. But if 004-00 and the 8000 channel is the same then I wonder why don't they both have the sync error. I'll need to check out the 6000 range to see if there is another Fox channel.

·
Legend
127 Posts
Your 004-00 could be mapped to EITHER the 6000 version of the Fox channel or the 8000 version. This is a setting in the menus. So it sounds like in your case the 004-00 is probably mapped to the 6000, since you are seeing different effects on the 004-00 and the 8000.

Basically the 6000 or the 8000 is the real channel number, and then Dish allows you to map which one you want down to the regular old network number so you can find it easily.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,202 Posts
Mark Lamutt said:
DanoP - your local Fox channel in the 8000's and the one at 004-00 are the same channel. The 622 remaps the channel from 8xxx to 004-00 because you have satellite local mapping turned on in the local channels screen (Menu-6-9). You are probably seeing the audio problem on channel 004-01, which is your OTA Fox HD channel that you are receiving with your antenna. Which makes the audio sync a FOX problem, most likely.
Mark, I didn't include the 00400 station because I didn't think the 622 was capable of adding analog stations. Am I wrong? I've never tried it but maybe the 8000 channels get mapped down to XXX00?

·
Legend
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took another quick look at lunch today, found the 6000 series channels and discovered that my Fox 6000 series channel is also badly sync'd. So the Fox 8000 series is OK and so is my Fox 004-01 which is OTA. Fox 004-00 and Fox 6000 series is practically unwatchable ATM. So it looks like I got the Fox local mapped four times.

·
Legend
239 Posts
I know that sometimes I have slight synch issues on recordings.
This isn't a permanant fix, but if you're watching a recording, just skip back once and everything synchs back up...at least in my case of very rare issues.
I suppose it could work live as well. Just pause, play, and skip back.
This may not be helpful, but it's the only minor problem I have. Not enough to ask for a new hookup.

·
Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
Alright. So, the audio sync problem is coming from the Dish mpeg4 local FOX channel. DanoP - that's something you can do something about. Note what the channel number (in the 6000s) is, and send an email to [email protected] with the information, and be sure to tell them that your OTA version of the channel is in sync. If it's an encoder problem, they can fix it.

·
Legend
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mark Lamutt said:
Alright. So, the audio sync problem is coming from the Dish mpeg4 local FOX channel. DanoP - that's something you can do something about. Note what the channel number (in the 6000s) is, and send an email to [email protected] with the information, and be sure to tell them that your OTA version of the channel is in sync. If it's an encoder problem, they can fix it.
The mystery deepens.....the problematic channels were fine this evening. Since this was reported to the techies last nite, perhaps they did something on their end though they did not notify me of anything. I'll keep my eye on this. If it's an encoding problem why hasn't anyone else posted the problem to this channel here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.