DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a Dish DVR 625 installed. The Dish Network installer mentioned that I should not pause the TV for more than the 2 hour buffer. He said if I hit pause and walk away, then 2 hours later the receiver will lock up. "Just pull the plug and then plug it back in if you leave it pause.."

Is this true? I can't believe the O/S is this fragile..

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
It should not cause this, at least not everytime; but it may happen so the installer gave you the quick fix instead of having you wait on hold for a long period of time with a csr only to them tell you the same thing. Actually most intermitent problems are solved this way.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kf4omc said:
Why pause for 2 hours? If you know your going to be gone awhile just hit the record button and that will solve your problem...
I am just trying to confirm if this will lock up my receiver. No button I press should cause a lock up. I will find confirmation soon enough.

The only thing I have to compare this DVR to is my old TiVo box. When I hit pause and the buffer runs out, the box "unpauses" automatically -- playing the show at the point where I paused. At this point I cannot go backwards in time -- only forwards for the full buffered amount. This seems like the proper behavior (as opposed to crashing, which doesn't sound like the right behavior).

·
Super Moderator
53,877 Posts
That is the normal behavior for E* DVRs as well.

You should not worry about the receiver failing if you leave it in pause too long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.