DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does DirecTV insist that I have to pay $70 for a technician to come out and take a look at my setup if I'm not getting a signal?

Shouldn't not being able to watch programming fall under something DirecTV has to cover paying for? I have to pay more money because of lowsy installation or hardware on there part?

Sorry if I sound cranky about this but this is the 3rd time I've lost signal and they keep telling me I have to pay for someone to come out, which up to this point I haven't yet but I'm getting tired of complaining. Is it just me?

· Hall Of Fame
2,050 Posts
You can do an install yourself, or adjust the antenna or fix wiring yourself.

If you paid DTV for an install, and the install was faulty, and you reported it within the warranty period, you should insist that DTV stand behind their work. But if your installation was 10 months ago, and you are reporting it now, this is a new repair, not fixing a faulty install.

If this is a recurring problem for you, you may want to sign up for the protection plan.

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
kianrafiee,

Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

The D* Protection Plan is $5.99 a month and would cover dish realignment. There is a 30 day wait period, though, from the time you sign up until you are fully covered, if I remember correctly. If you call with a problem and sign up for the plan at the time you call, I believe they might only charge you $30 for the service call you need instead of $70, but they do charge as you had not been covered for the 30 days yet.

If you are having problems with your system within 90 days from an installation (you allude to a problem based on a lousy installation or hardware), they should fix it free. Beyond the 90 days, it is no longer covered as a recent installation.

They charge because they cannot be responsible for everything that will happen to your system for infinity.

· Godfather
438 Posts
You can negotiate when signing up for the protection plan:

Hem and haw a little bit, then state that you will sign up for it, but only if they waive the $30.00 fee, especially since you have wasted much time calling about loss of signal at least 3 times.

The rep may comply, or may offer some freebies to you. Good luck!

· Mentor
35 Posts
kianrafiee said:
Why does DirecTV insist that I have to pay $70 for a technician to come out and take a look at my setup if I'm not getting a signal?

Shouldn't not being able to watch programming fall under something DirecTV has to cover paying for? I have to pay more money because of lowsy installation or hardware on there part?

Sorry if I sound cranky about this but this is the 3rd time I've lost signal and they keep telling me I have to pay for someone to come out, which up to this point I haven't yet but I'm getting tired of complaining. Is it just me?
The problem as I see it is too many consumers feel that they should get everyting for free for ever. Direct TV can not possibly maintain someting that is subject to weather related issues such as snow, wind & rain for ever, not to mention electrial outages and such. It is my opinion that if you expect service for ever you got pay for it. A three month warrantee is more than enough time to sort out a bad installation and after that a consumer should expect to pay unless they sign up for a service plan. $70.00 is not very much for a service call when you figure what it actualy costs to pay a technician and the cost of maintianing a service truck,insurance and all. Heck I am a commercial business satelite tech and I wont even roll for less than $120.00. Consumers just have know clue what it takes to run a business and make and the need to make a profit, They just want someone to fix everything for free and cant understand why they get crappy service. You get what you pay for!

· Hall Of Fame
2,012 Posts
Since D* has moved to a leased equipment arrangement it's in their own best interest that the equipment works as expected. Cable leases their equipment and when something goes wrong, they don't charge you for a service call to get the box operational or replace it.

If it's equipment that I own, I'll pay to repair or replace it, but if it's leased it's D*'s responsibility since it's their equipment.

· Legend
219 Posts
If it s a reciever that is the cause of your problem then diredt should pay. If its alignment then you pay.If its cabling you pay. If the problem is covered under the install warranty the original installer fixes it. Your best bet in my opinion as and independent installer/servicer it to find a qualified local installer and get your problems corrected.If you only have to pay $70 that would be a cheap fix. In my area it would llikley run $90 plus milage ($1.50 per mile). Good service is niether cheap or expensive. Its priceless

· Godfather
425 Posts
Let's slow down a little and see if we can help you figure out the problem.

How many recievers do you have.

If you have more than one, does the problem happen on all receivers at the same time?

What is the message you are getting?

What dish do you have.

Do you know if you have a multiswitch installed?

With some information, we may be able to help you resolve the issue yourself.

· Godfather
438 Posts
remember, this person has called 3 times for support. If you have to call back again, let the first level of support try, and after that, ask for "level 2" (its really "tier 2" but don't let on like you know EVERYTHING).

The level 2 person will try a few things, be prepared to list the last few instructions/troubleshooting steps level 1 had you try. Don't just say "everything" because what you mean as "everything" and what Directv considers as "everything" can be quite different.

If they cannot fix it, and offer the protection plan w/30.00 initial service call, again:

"Balk" a little bit, but then after dickering, offer to take it if they waive the initial $30.00 fee. After that, its $5.99 monthly, with a year commitment to the protection plan service. Directv will ding you a fee of $10.00 if you cancel early...I had one customer, after explaining it all to them, just outright say "Ok, 30.00 plus 10.00 to cancel...40 bucks for the service call...ok, sign me up :p

· Hall Of Fame
2,012 Posts
I should come clean and say I have a vested interest in this thread because I did a red button restart last night after one of the recordings I made wouldn't play and the HR20 now can't complete setup.

I called D* level 2 support and couldn't get it resolved. I connected the lines going to the HR20 to a deactivated DVR and it displays ch. 200 and registers signal strength in the low 90s to 100 on all transponders applicable to my area.

I'm scheduled for a tech to come out on Wed., but given how the DVR I connected to the inputs that were going to the HR20 functioned and my 2 other DVRs are fine, I have to assume the flaw lies in the HR20.

According to the rule of thumb davejacobson lies down, since this is a leased receiver less than 30 days old, I shouldn't have to pay for a service call.

· Godfather
425 Posts
bidger said:
I should come clean and say I have a vested interest in this thread because I did a red button restart last night after one of the recordings I made wouldn't play and the HR20 now can't complete setup.

I called D* level 2 support and couldn't get it resolved. I connected the lines going to the HR20 to a deactivated DVR and it displays ch. 200 and registers signal strength in the low 90s to 100 on all transponders applicable to my area.

I'm scheduled for a tech to come out on Wed., but given how the DVR I connected to the inputs that were going to the HR20 functioned and my 2 other DVRs are fine, I have to assume the flaw lies in the HR20.

According to the rule of thumb davejacobson lies down, since this is a leased receiver less than 30 days old, I shouldn't have to pay for a service call.
What is it doing when you say it can't complete setup? Does it get to a certain point & then start over? One trick is to restart the reciever with the access card removed. It will get to a point where it will prompt you to install the access card.

Give that a shot & see what happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.