DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,461 Posts
Because they have Red & Kitty? Or Deja vu about getting beaten over the head with the unrealistic diversity checklist?
Because of Kitty and Red doing a pretty admirable reprise.

The diversity checklist was sufficiently filled on the original series with all manner of characters that had very little in common in terms of background. I think that may have been part of the attraction.

26,461 Posts
I don't remember ... is there was any queer ?
The LGBTQIA+ community was largely unrepresented in the original series.

I too am guessing they will address that omission with the new series. Being on Netflix gives them a whole lot of flexibility.

ps: your grammar could use some remedial attention.

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The diversity checklist was sufficiently filled on the original series with all manner of characters that had very little in common in terms of background. I think that may have been part of the attraction.
No it wasn't lol. Eric, Donna, Kelso & Hyde were all white and neighborhood friends. Hyde was from the wrong side of the tracks though, but he moved in with the Forman's in the first season. Jackie was played up as a rich white girl although Mila Kunis is Ukrainian. Fez was not white, but was regularly mocked for being a foreigner which you couldn't do today. No Asian, Black, Hispanic, Indian, etc. There was an episode where they had 2 gay characters (the finale I think?) played by Greg & Peter Brady actors. But they regularly mocked fat & disabled people. Also missing will probably be The Circle as that wasn't really a thing during the 90s, but I've never done drugs of any kind and don't hang out with people who do, so out of my wheel house.

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The LGBTQIA+ community was largely unrepresented in the original series.
In the trailer, they've already ticked White, Black, Asian and interracial relationship. So really, the daughter will probably turn out to be gay.

Plus, people will immediately hate on the Kelso knockoff actor. He's got impossible shoes to fill.

26,461 Posts
No it wasn't lol. Eric, Donna, Kelso & Hyde were all white and neighborhood friends.
What would be the motivation (other than as a kindness) that Kelso and Hyde were friends with Eric and Donna? Eric is a nerd and Donna is arguably a nerd (as well as being the next door neighbor). Kelso was not clearly not a sharp tool and Hyde was ostensibly a full-time stoner.

Jackie was a rich deb which would typically preclude her from socializing with nerds, stoners or foreigners.

It could be argued that Fez is a well-dressed nerd.

That doesn't seem like a natural circle of friends (though surely a pretty well-balanced group). Kind of like an ST:TNG version of a ST:TOS threesome.

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What would be the motivation (other than as a kindness) that Kelso and Hyde were friends with Eric and Donna? Eric is a nerd and Donna is arguably a nerd (as well as being the next door neighbor). Kelso was not clearly not a sharp tool and Hyde was ostensibly a full-time stoner.

Jackie was a rich deb which would typically preclude her from socializing with nerds, stoners or foreigners.

It could be argued that Fez is a well-dressed nerd.

That doesn't seem like a natural circle of friends (though surely a pretty well-balanced group). Kind of like an ST:TNG version of a ST:TOS threesome.
Eric had a crush on Donna. As did Kelso, Hyde and Fez. That's motivation for most guys to hang around a girl. Aside from Fez, they'd probably hang out in real life. Although the backstory with Fez was that they rescued him from bullies.

Assuming you are not in a mixed relationship, do you have white, Asian, black & Hispanic in your social circle? It's not realistic. People tend to hang out with people they can share language, culture & food with. And then you also need to get some LGBT+ friends too.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts

26,461 Posts
4 guys wanting to sleep with her is motivation for most girls to keep dangling the carrot.
Competition among suitors for the affections of the same person is not a recipe for fostering friendship. I didn't perceive that Donna was dangling any carrots in an effort to connect with any of them. Some melons to be sure, but no carrots.

I recall that Kelso was primarily after Jackie.

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Competition among suitors for the affections of the same person is not a recipe for fostering friendship. I didn't perceive that Donna was dangling any carrots in an effort to connect with any of them. Some melons to be sure, but no carrots.

I recall that Kelso was primarily after Jackie.
They were all after both with the exception of Eric who hated Jackie. Kelso was also after Laurie.

Personally, I was squarely on team Jackie. Although, now that I hear Mila Kunis doesn't bathe regularly....

26,461 Posts
Although, now that I hear Mila Kunis doesn't bathe regularly....
That's a rumor that gets spread about almost all the beautiful people at one time or another (and Sting). I've heard it said about Gwyneth Paltrow and Matthew McConaughey.

Bathing habits can be changed readily. Ugly is much harder.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
She smells fine on TV. Only the shows stink. :D

26,461 Posts
Welp, looks like Hyde got off. Maybe he'll show up in season 2.
He didn't get a verdict and as such, the judge declared a mistrial and scheduled a new trial for March 2023.

They may let him out on bail but I'd imagine he's pretty toxic as an actor in a show oriented towards minors.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts