Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's our equipment list -

Sony KDF-46E2000 LCD HDTV
Directv HR20
Onkyo TX-SR804 AVR
Sony 5-Disc DVD/CD Changer DVPNC85HB
Denon SACD/CD/DVD 2200
Mitsubishi HS-U790 S-VHS VCR

Our Sony TV does a great job upscaling DTV input to 720p and 1080i. In turn our Sony DVD Player does an equally outstanding job of upscaling DVD video to 1080i.
I have the DTV HR20 television resolution setting at 720p and 1080i.

My question is this - "Is my present HR20 resolution setting the best choice or should it be set to 1080i only?"

Thanks,
Louisp

·
AllStar
61 Posts
I set my H20 and HR20 to all the resolutions so you get what the network is sending out. I feel this will give me the best picture.

·
Icon
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Camaro305 said:
You will get whatever your TV scales it to.
Thanks for your replies.

Currently my Sony KDF-46E2000 the video is scaled to both 720p and 1080i. If I change the television resolution setting on the DTV HR20 to 1080i only the Sony upscales all video to 1080i.

Comments please.

Louisp

·
AllStar
61 Posts
Camaro305 said:
You will get whatever your TV scales it to.
I have my DTV boxes set to view in all resolutions since my TVs are capable of displaying all of them. The DTV boxes and the TV will negotiate and pick the one the signal DirecTV is sending. Most HD signals are in 1080i but FOX is in 720p. When changing channels from FOX to CBS my tv will tell me what resolution is being displayed.

If you TV is only capable of 720p or 1080i then you want to only set these resolution on your DTV box.

·
Legend
112 Posts
1953 said:
Thanks for your replies.

Currently my Sony KDF-46E2000 the video is scaled to both 720p and 1080i. If I change the television resolution setting on the DTV HR20 to 1080i only the Sony upscales all video to 1080i.

Comments please.

Louisp
This is how I understand it works. TV's are set to display one resolution. In my case, 720p. Whatever signal it gets, it converts to 720p.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,876 Posts
1080i LCD? 1080p perhaps. To my knowlegde LCD/DLP displays are progressive, not interlaced.:confused: I had mine set to to native off (set to 720p) for faster channel switching. After the last update it takes the same amount of time so I have set it back to native on and let my set set do the scaling

·
AllStar
61 Posts
I have a APEX 27" lcd, a SONY DLP and a new SONY Bravia and all can display 480i, 720p and 1080i. They will display whatever of those resolutions the source is sending it.

I know some displays will only do 1 resolution and will convert the signal to that resolution. The SONY Bravia comes in 3 models and cheapest one will only display 720p. Best to read the TV's manual and set the output resolutions of the DTV box to the one(s) the TV can support.

·
Legend
132 Posts
klramp said:
I have my DTV boxes set to view in all resolutions since my TVs are capable of displaying all of them. The DTV boxes and the TV will negotiate and pick the one the signal DirecTV is sending.
As I understand it, what you described only happens if you have Native set to On on the HR20. A side effect of Native On has been long pauses when changing channels, so I turned Native Off.

(Come to think of it, I haven't had any recording issues for a while and I wonder if Native On may have been a factor. But I digress...)

If you don't have Native set to On, your HR20 outputs whatever the current setting is. This can be changed using the Format button on the remote.

Question: Is there a way to find out what the actual resolution of a program is without having Native set to On??

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
klramp said:
I have a APEX 27" lcd, a SONY DLP and a new SONY Bravia and all can display 480i, 720p and 1080i. They will display whatever of those resolutions the source is sending it.

I know some displays will only do 1 resolution and will convert the signal to that resolution. The SONY Bravia comes in 3 models and cheapest one will only display 720p. Best to read the TV's manual and set the output resolutions of the DTV box to the one(s) the TV can support.
No, I think you will find they only display in one resolution. They take the signal and up/downconvert it to the resolution of the display. So if you have a TV whose native resolution is 720p, then all signals sent to it will be up or down-converted to 720 lines and also deinterlaced if they are 480i or 1080i. So the only issue is whether you let your set-top box do the conversion and deinterlacing or let the TV do it. The best way to decide is to try them both and see which one looks best. You probably will not be able to see the difference. If you do decide to select "native" on your DirecTV receiver and let your TV do the conversion, the downside is usually it taked longer to change the channel through HDMI because the TV and the receiver are exchanging information.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I don't think anyone here can really answer your question as well as you can answer it yourself. Try native on/off, different resolutions, and see what works the best for you, and see if the picture quality is really any different to you.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,060 Posts
1953 said:
My question is this - "Is my present HR20 resolution setting the best choice or should it be set to 1080i only?"
I have a similar setup and decided to try 408p and 1080i rather than all the settings possible based on some other forum inputs. I also then added Natve mode which had been causing me problems and delays.

This seems to be doing pretty well. I mostly only watch HD input (in 4 short weeks -- or was that days -- I became an HD snob) and I find that the delays changing programs only happens between HD and SD now. HD to HD is typically 2 seconds.

Also, the Native mode irritant (multiflashing screens) has now stopped -- probably a lot few gyrations. I still sometimes adjust for best screen mode with the Sony's remote, but far less often.

·
Mentor
44 Posts
I agree... however... the best picture will most likely be had by the HR20 passing through the signal to your TV, and letting the TV do the upconverting and deinterlacing (as necessary).

I would be willing to bet a Sony TV will do a better job of this than the HR20... if you can handle potentally longer channel changing times as the TV resyncs w/ the incoming signal.

Yet that even depends on the TV... some TVs can resync to the incoming signal faster than others. My JVC takes too long and for some reason doesn't do 480i (SD) right so I have the HR20 set to output 1080i only as my TV is a 1080p TV.

However... I'm wondering if the extended channel change time of the HR20 may have to do w/ it resyncing and upconverting to 1080i... hmmm...

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,464 Posts
1953 said:
Your TV is one of a very few true 720p native displays, so it comes down to which has the better scaler. We honestly can't tell you which one you're going to prefer. Sony has greatly improved their scalers in the last three years, but the HR20 scaler may be better adapted to handle the rigors of "HD Lite".

I would hope that setting the HR20 for 720p may be able to shortcut the conversion from 1280x1080 (the matrix of a lot of DirecTV's HD programming) to 1280x720 (versus scaling up to 1920x1080 and having the TV scale it back down to 1280x720) and it would be able to pass through the 720p content.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,876 Posts
texasbrit said:
No, I think you will find they only display in one resolution. They take the signal and up/downconvert it to the resolution of the display. So if you have a TV whose native resolution is 720p, then all signals sent to it will be up or down-converted to 720 lines and also deinterlaced if they are 480i or 1080i. So the only issue is whether you let your set-top box do the conversion and deinterlacing or let the TV do it. The best way to decide is to try them both and see which one looks best. You probably will not be able to see the difference. If you do decide to select "native" on your DirecTV receiver and let your TV do the conversion, the downside is usually it taked longer to change the channel through HDMI because the TV and the receiver are exchanging information.
What you said.
That brings another point, how can Sony (and others) tell someone who has just spent 5 large on a new plasma (720p) display that it is not "full HD". Unless someone can convince the networks to trash all the equipment they bought to switch to 1080p, Bluray is the only way you will ever see any content in 1080p. All the reviews I have seen thus far say you can't tell the difference anyway

·
Legend
192 Posts
I have my HR20 set to 1080i on my Sony 34XBR800. I had it on native and got tired of the slow response. Works and looks great.

I tried two different settings on my Vizio VX32L LCD tv.......720p and 1080i and I prefer the 1080i output from the HR20. The TV is scaling the picture back to 720p, but with the HR20 set to 1080i only, the PQ is better to my eyes.

·
Legend
182 Posts
It also depends on what you are watching...if you are watching football, baseball, or any other kind of sport, then it's gonna be displayed better in a progressive scan. This is also true for any kind of live broadcast....other things that are slower paced like movies or other programming is going to work better interlaced.

I watch all sports and live broadcast programming in 720p, and everything else (except programs on ESPNHD or ESPN2HD) in 1080i.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,464 Posts
machavez00 said:
That brings another point, how can Sony (and others) tell someone who has just spent 5 large on a new plasma (720p) display that it is not "full HD".
The conundrum with plasma has always been that the display matrix is not actually 1280x720 (same with most LCDs). Most of them are 1366x768 or some other number that doesn't translate well. The 60" Panasonic is actually 1920x1080 ($10K MSRP). Personally, I'll take four Sony SXRD for the same money. But... if it looks good to you and you can afford it, who cares?
Unless someone can convince the networks to trash all the equipment they bought to switch to 1080p, Bluray is the only way you will ever see any content in 1080p.
Whether or not it is shown in 1080p, most content is already shot in 1080p. Going to 1080p is going to require all new equipment to provide the necessary bandwidth, so the situation will similar to today's where we have both NTSC and ATSC on the air.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.