DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
AllStar
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The DP721 GPL web site is still in a bit of flux, but it has been up at the following URL for quite a while now :

http://208.45.37.181/

Note that the site is curently hosted on a DP721!

Once they get all the IT infrastructure issues worked out, it will probably move to a sub-page off of the main Echostar.com web site.

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
That's cool that it's hosted on a 721. I'm glad to see Echostar has decided to obey the GPL. The release of this code makes me feel a lot better about the merger

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
It tells me if DISH is a company I would trust to be the exclusive provider of secular (because of Sky Angel) direct-to-home broadcast satellite television. Any company that will not honor a license agreement, ESPECIALLY any company that ignores the GPL is a company I do not trust to be in this position. I'm glad to see they decided to respect the GPL.

·
Legend
145 Posts
I think that is just way cool. I am happy E* is respecting the GPL and in many ways encouraging folks to check out the code. I realize they say recompiling will void a warrenty. Fair enough if they are expected to support it, as long as they are not trying the big hammer to prevent it. And that they are using a 721 to host the site is just bad to the bone!!!!! Shows that folks at E* themselves are doing a bit of, if not hacking, at least streatching the envelope shall we say...marshal

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Since they loaded a web server on their 721 does that mean their machine is now no longer under warrenty? :D

I find it really cool that the webserver is running off the 721.

I am hopefull that the folks at Dish Network will come to their senses and let owners use any ISP with their 721.

You guys need to keep writing them demanding Open Access on the 721. I can't do it alone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.